toolpot462
larztheloser

Composition Contest

larztheloser

toolpot462

Pro

Larztheloser has agreed to a musical composition contest. In the first round, larz should give me a theme to work off of. We'll then give each other our themes in each round. Compositions must abide by the themes, to help assure that each one is made from scratch. Our entries should be no less than 1:30, and should be embedded to the page from YouTube. Any style is permitted, but only midi sequencing should be used (out of fairness, since that's all I can use). No ridiculous themes. I know that's kind of subjective, but you should know them when you see them (i.e. your theme is feces).

Voters should rate whoever they consider to be the winner on a scale of 1-7.

Alright, good luck.
larztheloser

Con

I accept. The music I write will be a computer-recorded rendition of an original midi sequence, which technically speaking is not entirely midi sequencing, but since the fact is that my opponent is uploading to youtube, he must be doing the exact same thing. Therefore please interpret that rule a little loosely. Just so you know I don't mind ridiclious themes personally. They're the most fun.

I'll keep it simple for my first theme - write me a song about nostalgia. For those who might not know, nostalgia means "a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations" (http://en.wikipedia.org...).
toolpot462

Pro

I'll try to put more time into the next one. :P

Your theme is anger.
larztheloser

Con

It seems I have some serious competition! Great composition pro.

Here's my composition. Please refrain from punching stuff while listening.

My opponent's theme will be "cowboys and indians".
toolpot462

Pro

That's really good, especially since you spent about a third of the allotted time on it. What software do you use?

Here's mine. I know the whole ululation thing is a stereotype, so forgive me. :P

Your next theme is heaven.
larztheloser

Con

Nothing wrong with stereotypes if they're well-used as opposed to merely imitative, I reckon. Once again, hats off to my opponent for a fine song.

Anyway, voila! Here's a song about what I imagine heaven to be like. One of my bigger arrangements in a while. Hope you enjoy it.

Your next theme is "World War Three".
toolpot462

Pro

Tough theme. Well, here you go.

Your theme is poker.
larztheloser

Con

Here's my poker song. I was trying to get both the serious and fun sides of poker into one song. I don't think I did it terribly well, but hey, I set it to a fusion hip hop/latin beat - give me credit for that!

Anyway, thanks to my opponent for a fun competition. I look forward to reading people's critiques.
Posted by larztheloser 4 years ago
larztheloser
If anyone wants the original MIDI files I created for this competition for whatever reason, message me and I'll get them to you.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
I enjoyed the entries by both members and look forward to similar contests in the future. :)
Posted by larztheloser 4 years ago
larztheloser
Yeah, I've got to admit, I've been listening to your pieces for inspiration on that poker theme. Will be done soon.
Posted by toolpot462 4 years ago
toolpot462
Sadly, in retrospect, my r4 makes me think more of poker than of WW3. In my defense, I love Fallout: New Vegas.
Posted by Stupidwalrus 4 years ago
Stupidwalrus
These are all awesome, but anger was just incredible.
Posted by larztheloser 4 years ago
larztheloser
Oh yeah - forgot to mention about software, since you asked. I'm too poor to afford any, so I make do with the free version of Anvil Studio for the actual sequencing, then switch to other free/shareware tools for mixing and mastering (mostly Synthfont and Audacity). What do you use?
Posted by larztheloser 4 years ago
larztheloser
My grandmother wrote me a song about feces when I was a preschooler. Twelve verses long too. I don't think I'll ever forget it.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
toolpot462larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Music is so subjective; I mostly simply preferred the sound of Con's darker beats. Forgive me being critical of a great effort by both, but the song that sealed it for me was "World War III". When I listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture I can hear the entire war unfold from beginning to end. In WWIII, I do not hear anxiety. I do not hear bombs blasting. I do not hear hopelessness. I do not hear hope.
Vote Placed by LatentDebater 4 years ago
LatentDebater
toolpot462larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: better.