Composition Contest

Started: 2/1/2014 Category: Music

I did one of these lately, but my opponent bailed out ( I'm a bit saddened by putting in a lot of effort only to have my opponent forfeit. Therefore, as a precondition for accepting this debate, my opponent agrees that any forfeit of a round in this debate means a concession of all 7 points. The same rule applies to me too, obviously.

But of course, this is all about fun and stuff so good luck!

The rules are reproduced here:

Same as at except as described below.

Each round, each of us gives a theme for the other one to write a piece of music off (this theme must be something sufficiently general to allow lots of interpretations - it's just a simple way of making sure the music is original, and makes it more fun!) The music should be included as a Youtube video in the round. Up to 2000 characters may also be used to describe the music. Remember that this means con will need to start the debate not by posting music, but by posting a theme. If you have questions about the format, ask before accepting.

Each track should be approximately 3 minutes and can be in any style. Remember that you only get 72 hours to compose an original song each round!

Voters should assign points based on whose music they thought was better.

Thank you for challenging me. I'm excited for this debate, and I will do my best. Your topic is...the beach! Anything beach related will do. I'm saying that because there are beach events that would have music representing it that wouldn't remind everybody of a happy -get-together-at-the-beach. Anyways, good luck.

Here you are. A song about a beach visit that isn't exactly a happy get together :)

I tried writing a pop-kinda vocal piece with fun beach rhythms, a kind of contrast between beach-music idealism (represented with the music) and the reality (sung in the lyrics). Apologies in advance for my singing. So much fun to write though!

Your theme is a volcano. Good luck!

Finally, my piece is finished and uploaded.

The song is about the AD 79 eruption of Mount Vesuvius.

It's a more classical piece with a style I like where a song has multiple parts that don't repeat, allowing for the song to represent multiple aspects of one topic. It's not perfect, but, I like it and I hope you enjoy it.

Your topic Good luck!

You've inspired me to write a classical piece! Styled this one after one of my favorite composers, Gustav Holst. I hope everyone likes it. Your song from the last round was really awesome though!

Your next theme is the dairy industry.

Okay, here it is, a piece about the dairy industry.

For this, I decided to focus on the harsh conditions and abuse that occurs on dairy farms. It is another piece based on that of classical, however, features an electric bass guitar. Also, the piece features part of Old McDonald Had A Farm, only part of it. Anyways, please enjoy.

Your next topic, or theme I guess I should say is...history.

Super composition from my opponent in the last round! Needs more cowbell though.

I rather like history. This was a pretty difficult piece though. I sort of focused more on ancient history and wrote a grand piece with lots of awe and mystery thrown in. Hope y'all like it.

Thanks for the debate and thanks to my opponent for a tough competition.

My opponent's final theme is "captain obvious".

What a theme. That took some thought.

Well, here it is; my final song.

The song is, again, instrumental. It features the most brass instruments of the three pieces. To symbolize the theme, I turned the song into a conversation essentially, where the first voice would "say something", and the second would "reply" with something not satisfying the first. The second mostly "replies" with a single, simple note. With that, the first voice gets more complicated, even adding more instruments, but is still met with a simple "reply" from the second. We even hear frustration towards the end.

Imagine having a conversation with Captain Obvious. It might be like this. You would say something to him, or question him, and he would answer with the obvious. You might try to reword the question, or ask something else, but he would still answer with a very simple and vague answer that is obvious. Others might join you, or at least have the same problem, but still, Captain Obvious would simply answer with what is obvious.

I've had lots of fun with this competition, and I don't really care who wins. I'm just glad that I was able to participate in this and get experience with composing music. I'd like to thank my opponent for allowing me to participate and giving me some interesting themes. Oh, and I wouldn't mind doing it again some time in the future. With that, I say, once more, thank you!
Posted by 360mph 2 years ago
Okay, thank you. I was just wondering because I wanted more visuals, especially for people who were just watching the video and not following this competition.
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
ie I don't care how many pics you use. Film a complete music video if you like. Ultimately only the music will be judged anyway.
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
Pics don't matter. Just the music.
Posted by 360mph 2 years ago
How many pictures am I allowed to use for the video?
Posted by larztheloser 2 years ago
I know, he's fantastic, right? As soon as I read "space" I immediately thought of Holst's "Mars".
Posted by 360mph 2 years ago
Ha, Gustav Host has a piece, The Planet's, I think. It's really good
Vote Placed by SPENCERJOYAGE14 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I thought this was a great debate! I'm so glad this happened. Pro had weird grammar so that flows Con. I liked Pro's at the Beach piece, his singing was off but I liked how his song brought out the good and bad aspects of it.