z_a_farb
ellenlyoo

Compulsory (mandatory) Voting for Presidential Elections- Yes or No?

z_a_farb

Con

Should voting be compulsory? I believe that the answer is no. Mandatory voting would infringe our right to be American. People have reasons why they choose not to vote or why they can't vote. So, we as the people of America should not violate the American people's right to choose to abstain their vote.
ellenlyoo

Pro

Second, voting in a democratic society is a civic duty, not a right. a right is a choice, and a right has to stop if it starts harming people. You are talking about your rights, when you are just focusing on your life, your happiness, and etc. However, when you are talking about duty, we"re talking about something that affects someone else as well. Not voting is affecting others who live in the same country as you are. You are showing a social act of ignorance, as well as affecting other people by ignoring politics, and being a part of spreading information that voting is something that"s light and something that you don"t have to do because it"s not forced. I would like to give an example in order to support this point. If tax was optional, do you think that people would pay tax? No. If tax isn"t paid, that just literally means that the country is going to be led to a big destruction. This is why tax is so mandatory. Voting, is voicing your opinion on who you think should be a politician for this country. You"re not voicing just your opinions. You"re reflecting others who have the same opinions as you do. You, at the same time, is doing something that people should do in a democracy where people voice their opinions. If nobody has their opinions voiced, it"s chipping away democracy bit by bit. We should prevent this from happening, and one of the biggest ways we can do is to force voting, and prevent lower voting rates every year. Not only that, a true meaning of a democracy is when the citizens make the choices for the government to be ruled. However, if people stop voting and the voting rates just decrease as time passes, the fundamental value of a democracy is devalued: people are not voicing their opinions. By making voting mandatory, it would prevent for there be a detrimental harm to the fundamental value of a democracy, as the people are actually voicing their opinions. Therefore, in order to help maintain 'democracy,' voting is a civic duty, not a right.
z_a_farb

Con

z_a_farb forfeited this round.
ellenlyoo

Pro

So I first would like to mention a mistake that I had made in my last argument. I accidentally typed 'second', and I deeply apologize. I also apologize for forgetting to rebut my opponent's last argument, so I will do that in this round.

Therefore, before I would like to continue with my argument, I would like to rebut to what my opponent said in the first round. He has stated that mandatory voting would be infringing upon the citizens rights, but I personally believe that it is perfectly legitimate, or in other words, the government is not going against anybody"s rights to implement this policy. First of all, in voting, you have two choices. One, vote for the candidate you want to vote for. Two, don"t. And the government is not saying that you have to vote for this person, and you have to vote for this party. We"re not telling you to have a certain opinion about the society. We"re not even saying that you have to vote for anybody. We"re just telling you to be there, at the voting booth. So in the end, you still have a right to choose to not vote. Even if you turn in a blank piece of paper, no one will say, "Why did you not pick one of the candidates?" They won"t even know it was you, because it"s a secret vote. But nevertheless, you have to show that you are somewhat interested in politics and in supporting a democratic society. And also, if my opponents wants to say that it would be a complete waste of time to go there in order to turn in a blank piece of paper, and how that is a waste of time in itself, I believe that it is sometimes necessary for the government to step in. For example, tax. No one wants to pay tax. If you worked day and night and got a certain amount of money, of course you want to keep all of it. It"s your payment for your working hard. If tax-paying was voluntary, no one would pay tax, and the country will run out of money. That is why the government makes it mandatory to pay tax, because it is needed for the society. In cases like this, or the tax, it is legitimate for the government to interfere, or, has to interfere and tell people to do whatever they need to do, because otherwise, they won"t. And the same goes to voting. Besides, compared to tax or military, this is not even that harmful to us. It doesn"t take away 2 years of our life, or make you lose money. So why not allow this?

Now, I would like to continue with my argument for the second round.

I believe that it is a necessity. I will divide this argument into two very different parts. First, about the problems that are rising because voting is not mandatory, such as public being uninterested. Second, about the inequality between those who vote and those who don"t. looking at the number of people vote, you can tell that since the voting rates is going down, people are losing interest in politics. According to statistics 2012, only 57.5% of people voted in the presidential elections. This is barely over half. So little people are voicing their opinions, that it is in a danger zone. A few people won"t make the best decision. There is another problem with how people are losing interest in politics. Looking at this statistic, it seems like a pretty obvious fact that the citizens are losing interest in politics. Why is this a problem? We live in a democratic government, where the country is basically ruled according to the citizens" opinions. Since those people are losing so much interest in politics, it is likely that the voting rate will decrease year by year, with more people not caring about politics. This is a serious matter. Once nobody cares, people would be ruling unfairly, making up laws and everything on their own, just for their own profit. Look at it in people"s point of view. According to research, Australia has made voting compulsory, and now, the voting rate hovers around 94 to 96 percent. Of course my opponent might argue that people are casting donkey votes, and therefore, it will lead to bad results, but this idea itself does not stand because I support informal votes. Not only that, those informal votes only comprise up to 2%, according to statistics, which clearly shows that people who don"t cast proper votes is just a minority. Besides, according to compulsory voting supporters, this is preferred to not voting at all because it ensures there is no possibility that the person has been intimidated or prevented from voting should they wish. Again, he also might argue that it is a waste of time. However, this idea just doesn"t stand as well because even if informal votes are there, at least it"s participating in politics. The second point in my argument is about the inequality that is shown between the people who do vote and the people who don"t. When there are several candidates running for president, what are those candidates aiming for? To be president, obviously. Since they want to be president, they are trying to persuade those who are going to vote in the elections. Because of that, candidates are most likely to listen to voters, and the attention that is supposed to be there for non voters just keep decreasing. Is it fair for candidates or politicians to only listen to those people who vote BECAUSE they vote? Is it fair for those who don"t vote to be ignored in public, even though this country is supposed to be a democracy, where everybody"s opinions are respected. Mandating voting will remove all this prejudice, bias, and inequality.
z_a_farb

Con

I would like to say thank you to my opponent for taking the time to respond. I posted this for help with a project. If you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them. Thank you so much!
ellenlyoo

Pro

ellenlyoo forfeited this round.
z_a_farb

Con

z_a_farb forfeited this round.
ellenlyoo

Pro

ellenlyoo forfeited this round.
z_a_farb

Con

z_a_farb forfeited this round.
ellenlyoo

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for bringing up this topic.