Debater181
Emilrose

Computers are better than books for studying

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Voting Period

Debater181

Pro

Sure, computers are the cause of weight gaining , eye problems, and obesity, but no one tells you to sit at computer all day just looking at the screen. You could move around every half an hour to just look around and relax your eyes.(this really helps me) Nowadays, there are a lot of new technologies included in computers, like read and write that reads the selected text on a screen(you have to get the extension from the web store), and high contrast mode, which reduces the amount of white glare coming from the computer screen, just to list a few.
Emilrose

Con

Accepted.

Seeing as there's only 2000 characters, I will try to keep my arguments simple and concise.

Opening Argument:

The academic information presented in books is easier to memorise than it is when outlined on a computer. Obviously, computers are beneficial for writing presentations/essays, etc. but in regards to actual studying, a book is preferable.

One reason why it's easier to absorb information from a book is because that when you read a book, your attention is focused on it. You stare at each page intently, reflect on what you're reading, and make a note of the important and relevant sentences/words - without disruption or distraction.

However, with a computer or e-book, the temptation to multitask or take breaks from studying is greater.

[1.] https://www.theguardian.com...

[2.] http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

In addition, if you specifically think of certain subjects (chemistry, biology) it is essential to study through books and have a plain notepad with you - as sequence structures, measurements and formulas have to be memorised and then drawn onto the examination paper completely *without* error.

This also applies to the subject of art, as the student is naturally required to draw and thus needs paper materials to do it. If asked, I'm quite sure students of English literature + language would also state that they prefer to use books for studying. If you use a book, you can quite literally write whatever you want down and use a marker pen, and return to it or re-read it whenever you wish to. Most college students in the U.S would in fact rather use printed textbooks than anything computer-based. [3.] https://qz.com...
Debater181

Pro

Well, for your point on academic information presented in books is easier to memorize than it is when outlined on a computer. This is not really true because you could copy and paste it, or bookmark it on a computer. In my opinion as a student, I feel more biased copying and pasting or bookmarking(taking 3-8 seconds) versus writing the If you think that books are better, I see your point, because books have to be verified before they can be printed, however, you can seek verified sources on the internet from professional sites.

Additionally, would you want it to be portable? Or do you prefer it to be a burden to carry around? We have a math links 7 textbook which is about 500 pages long. Would you want to lug that around? Or, an electronic PDF on your device? In my classroom, basically, all my classmates voted that they would prefer an electronic copy over a hard copy. I'm not saying that books are a bore, as I read every day, but, it's that just for studying, I'd prefer computers any day. A wide range of information, very portable, very useful.

Thank you and good luck.

Emilrose

Con

Rebuttals:

'Well for your point on academic information presented in books is easier to memorize than it is when outlined on a computer. This is not really true because you could copy and paste it, or bookmark it on a computer. In my opinion as a student, I feel more biased copying and pasting or bookmarking (taking 3-8 seconds) versus writing the If you think that books are better, I see your point, because books have to be verified before they can be printed, however, you can seek verified sources on the internet from professional sites.'

However, unlike a book computers are electronic can thus not be taken everywhere. A book allows someone to fully absorb the information they're learning because we're more inclined to read books in their entirety, instead of casually looking at pieces of information that is presented in electronic form. When something is read and followed from page-to-page, one learns from the context is and how it applies to what they are studying - that is his books are of greater benefit to the memory; you become better acquainted with them. I'd also add that electronic devices (and this goes back to my previous point about multitasking) are generally used in more hectic environments *and* a student is more likely to multitask - whereas when people read books, they prefer to read them in environments that are quiet - so, they can concentrate more.

As for Pros last point, I have an actual source that states students prefer books to electronic devices so their assertion is negated. I can understand Pros argument on the portability of electronic devices but this is mostly dependant on where/how you study. If you study on a desk at school and home, then the size of books really shouldn't matter - all you have to do is get them to and from school. People have been educating themselves for years *without* the size of books impeding them so it seems obvious to me that there is no great issue in using them over electronic devices.

Vote Con.
Posted by Nd2400 2 weeks ago
Nd2400
But can online help with exam too? Such as free exams for that course or study guides for that course. nowadays you have to pay for Access Code with the book. So online can help you more than just one book.
Posted by Emilrose 2 weeks ago
Emilrose
Sure, the information you get from the Internet is broad...but if it's a specific exam you're studying for, then you should really only be reading material that's relevant to the exam and the questions that you'll be asked.
Posted by Masterful 2 weeks ago
Masterful
I agree with Pro.
The information you can get from the internet is very broad and can come from numerous, more recently updated sources.
Not only is the information free, but it can be in video or audio format.

These points suggest,

-The internet provides a wider array of information.
-More sources means more reliability.
-Up to date information.
-More diverse learning formats.

Whereas the arguments for book seem to be preference. I would assert this is based on being accustom to the use of books for study in school.
Vote Placed by SamStevens 2 weeks ago
SamStevens
Debater181EmilroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con presented more convincing arguments negating the claim that computers are better than books for studying. Using sources and a good line of reasoning, she demonstrated the common pitfalls of computers(students are prone to distraction) as well as the practical limitations of a computer- they can not be taken everywhere whereas a book can be. This negates pro's point that it may be beneficial to bring an electronic PDF than lug around a book. There are some instances where you can not bring a PDF or the necessary electronics to open it whereas a book has unparalleled availability, as was the case before the advent of computers, as Pro mentioned.