Con Air: Great Movie or Greatest Movie?

Started: 11/9/2009 Category: Arts

Con Air is the best all-around movie ever, not because it is the greatest in every category, but because it is great in every category.
Con Air has comedy, it has a love story, it has a redemption story, it has action, it has an underdog, it has Cameos galore, it has a great sound track, it has lovable characters, it has villains that one can really hate.
I believe that Con Air has everything one could want in a movie, therefor I nominate it for best all-around movie ever.

In my opinion the greatest movie of all time is Forrest Gump the movie that won the 1994 Oscar for best picture.
Forrest Gump is just the complete movie because it has absolutely everything. Its about a fictional character named Forrest Gump having a part in almost every major event from the 1960's to the 1970's

Forrest Gump from the very start is an underdog as he goes about life with a below average intelligence
It has comedy, probably one of the only few to win an Oscar with a comedy genre
It revolves around a childhood love story with Forrest and his only friend Jenny as you see life through both their eyes. One that is Forrest a life full of excitement and experiences that effected America without him knowing it and through Jenny as she lives her life troubled trying to find where she truly belongs as fate brings them together no matter how much time passes by.
It has plenty of action as Forrest takes part in the Vietnam War.
Amazing soundtrack
It is also very inspiring as it demonstrates that anybody has the ability to make it in this world with whatever disadvantage they were given in life "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"
The events in the movie also inspired the creation of a chain of restaurants the "Bubba Gump Shrimp Company"
Also everyone can learn a lot about their U.S history from this Movie, such events like the Watergate scandal, Vietnam War, Black Panther Party, Elvis Presley and many more
I believe Forrest Gump is the best all around movie as it contains all the elements I listed above and has the awards to show for it.
I believe Con-Air cannot be the greatest movie because Forrest Gump is the greatest movie

While I did enjoy watching Forrest Gump I cannot concede that it, or any other movie for that matter, is better than Con Air. The main qualifications for Forrest Gump as put forth by my opponent seem to center around the awards that it has won, this can hardly be the measure of a truly great film, if so, all award winning films would be great. Just to make sure that we don't stray too far off path I'll restrict "awards" to Oscars since they were mentioned by my opponent.
The following (horrible) films have won Oscars, if these are Oscar winning films, we cannot use the winning of an Oscar to lend credence to the overall quality of a film:

- Beetlejuice
- Bowling for Columbine
- Brokeback Mountain
- Christmas Carol, A
- City Slickers
- Forrest Gump
- Frida
- Harry and the Hendersons
- King Kong
- Men in Black
- Nutty Professor, The
- Shaft
- Wings

Furthermore, Forrest Gump lacks the depth that Con Air has. Forrest Gump centers around a single character doing one thing over and over again, it's just someone "overcoming" all-odds. I put overcoming in quotes because someone who cannot walk will not be able to through sheer determination, Forrest Gump simply stopped feeling sorry for himself and began to walk. In Vietnam he didn't really do anything brave, he was just doing what he thought was right. Forrest Gump's major strong suit is that it cleverly ties together major historical moments from around the 1960's, unfortunately the tie-ins are superficial at best and cannot even be used to give clear perspective of the history of that time.

Since none of the reasons for Forrest Gump being the best movie ever are valid I cannot agree that it is the best movie ever and will have to stick with my original assertion that the award for best all-around movie ever goes to Con Air.

sllewuy forfeited this round.

I believe that my opponent has seen the light, thank you for the debate.

sllewuy forfeited this round.
Posted by sllewuy 6 years ago
ill take the time to watch con air 2m im intrigued
Posted by jessecurry 6 years ago
@sllewuy, the choice is yours, debating between great and greatest is probably a pretty difficult one, debating between Con Air being the best movie ever or not is probably a little easier.
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
"I'd debate you, arguing either for Infernal Affairs or Infernal Affairs 3, but I don't have the time to rewatch and pick out good parts for args."

Haha, both great movies, yeah.
Posted by Puck 6 years ago
"wow Con Air i've watched it so many times and i could watch it more and more. Greatest film ever."

You just killed a fairy somewhere saying that. I hope you are happy. :(
Posted by sllewuy 6 years ago
before I say anything can I ask am I supposed to point out a movie that I think is better and why con air isn't? or are we both gonna talk about how good con air is? I can always look up the movie on i just wanna know first. I am also sorry if the answer is obvious that thats what i am supposed to do I'm a very slow man.
Posted by sllewuy 6 years ago
so I have to pick a movie that I think is MORE all around to debate this?
Posted by Xer 6 years ago
"Voting Period: The voting period will last indefinitely."

Change this. And I will take it.
Posted by Rezzealaux 6 years ago
I'd debate you, arguing either for Infernal Affairs or Infernal Affairs 3, but I don't have the time to rewatch and pick out good parts for args.

I'll enjoy reading this when it's done, though :D
Posted by missyt 6 years ago
wow Con Air i've watched it so many times and i could watch it more and more. Greatest film ever.
Vote Placed by jessecurry 6 years ago