Forever23
Briannj17

Con Will Accept This Debate

Forever23

Forever23

Pro

R1- Acceptance. Just write "I accept".
R2- Arguments

I look forward to a great debate !
Briannj17

Con

Okay fire at will,
I look stuck on a hill,
But actually I'm not,
I'll be burning hot
For I know what to do,
To win against you,
I'll be the best,
and so I accept.
Forever23

Pro

The debate topic was "Con will accept this debate". Con has accepted this debate.

In fact, he wrote:

I'll be the best,

and so I accept.

Con has clearly accepted this debate.

Since I am pro and con accepted, I have fulfilled by BoP and automatically win this debate.

Vote pro!
Briannj17

Con

Alrighty let's get down to work shall we?

First off you cannot deny that my opponent has attempted to create a truism which goes against the object of debate.org. However I will argue her points.
Since she doesn't have any definitions I will supply the one needed to win this debate.

Will: expressing the future tense.
https://www.google.ca...

The problem presented now is the word "will" situated in the debate title and resolution. The word "will" presents something that is going to happen in the future. Right no I "have" accepted the debate. It is no longer a situation regarding will or any future implication.
Therefor by definition con "will" no longer accept the debate as he already "has" accepted.

In conclusion...
Thanks for this interesting topic and I hope to debate you again in the future.
Posted by whiteflame 8 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: famousdebater// Mod action: NOT Removed<

0 points awarded. Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for non-removal*] This debate's voting period ended over 4 months ago, making it well outside of the statute of limitations for vote moderation.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: Normerican// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Con (Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Con went the better route with it. They used better sources, actually Con was the only one who used any source. The convincingness of the two groups were even. Same with conduct and grammar. I agreed with Pro before and after the debate, because no matter the semantical approach one may use to reason with the answer; Con still accepted the debate, or at least we knew what they meant. Anyway, fun debate to read.

[*Reason for removal*] The source vote is insufficiently explained. Merely because one side had more sources, even if the other side had none, is not reason enough to award these points. The voter has to point out how they contributed to the debate, and not merely state that they were present.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: 9spaceking// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: con makes an interesting point and pro never proves con WILL accept the debate--merely that con HAS accepted the debate, and thus con wins.

[*Reason for non-removal*] While the vote only minimally explains the decision, on a debate like this with only one real argument per side, such a short RFD can be sufficient.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame

3 point to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: con makes an interesting point and pro never proves con WILL accept the debate--merely that con HAS accepted the debate, and thus con wins.

[*Reason for non-removal*] While the vote only minimally explains the decision, on a debate like this with only one real argument per side, such a short RFD can be sufficient. That the reporter disagrees with this decision doesn't suffice as a reason to remove it.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: famousdebater// Mod action: Removed<

1 point to Pro (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: Whilst Con did a good job of arguing his position. He unfortunately broke the rules of the debate which stated that in R1 you have to type I accept. Con did not type this and although the argument stated in R1 was irrelevant to the debate, it was still an argument made when the first round was clearly for acceptance purposes only.

[*Reason for removal*] While the debater did post more than just "I accept", the view that this was an argument in the first round, or that it violated stated rules, is not clearly explained. Writing a rhyme is not an argument.
Posted by geho89 1 year ago
geho89
Sorry, I was late to the party. I would had been Con if I accepted this debate, which demonstrated that I, Con will accept this debate. Seeing as how I cannot accept this debate anymore since another person did, I, Con will accept this debate is false. Pro has failed to address the possibilities of other Cons. My vote would go to Con if I could voted :)
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
In addition you really did not add enough rounds to properly negate what I had to say.
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
Also that was the second definition. I went with the first naturally since it is the most relevant.
Posted by Briannj17 1 year ago
Briannj17
Then you made a truism and should be punished for your action. I'm just trying to save you from this.
Posted by Forever23 1 year ago
Forever23
Check out definition #2 of the link. "An inevitable event". Your acceptance was inevitable.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Forever23Briannj17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm really tempted to give Pro the Conduct points for Con using semantics and making his only arguments in the last round, but it's not sufficent enough to warrant such a point. This debate, as Con framed around it, was around the word "will." Con did accept the debate and admitted to doing such a thing. If we look at the time the resolution was written we can see that "Con will accept this debate" meaning that in the future, from the point of view of the moment the debate was made, that Con will accept the debate. Con did and admits it in the 2nd round. Which under the resolution he shows that he did accept the debate, which under the time span of him accepting the debate he will accept and did. Thus I have to give Pro the debate on the technicality of that point in the time span.
Vote Placed by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
Forever23Briannj17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Briannj17 missed a golden opportunity by not arguing that 'Con' didnt accept the debate because there is not a user who goes by the name 'Con' to accept the debate at all..... Instead he argues over WILL accept vs HAS accepted, which is entirely dependent on when you start the clock. Con made the argument in round 2, after pro could respond, but that was meant on purpose due to round 1 being acceptance only. Round 1 also specified to write 'I accept' in round 1, con went over the top with a poem, but I dont think that warrants a conduct point to pro. I therefore have to leave this as a tie
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
Forever23Briannj17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con makes an interesting point and pro never proves con WILL accept the debate--merely that con HAS accepted the debate, and thus con wins.
Vote Placed by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
Forever23Briannj17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: :P
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
Forever23Briannj17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution is proved true for Pro if Con accepts the debate. Con accepts debate, thus Pro proves her side true and wins. Con says that "will" means something that will happen in the future. But Con concedes his own point, if something happens after the incident occurring (the incident being the debate challenge), then the definition of will happened. Since Con conceded he "has" done it, then the argument is self refuting. Since Con's argument canceled itself out, and Pro proved the resolution true, Pro wins.