M4sterDeb8er
imabench

Con is more likely to win a debate

imabench

M4sterDeb8er

Pro

First round is acceptance. As stated, I believe that the con side of any debate is more likely to win than the pro side because the pro side has to prove their ideas are logical, while con only needs to find one problem to disprove pro. In addition, con has the gift of responding to pro instead of vice versa.

If anyone disagrees, please debate me.
imabench

Con

"the pro side has to prove their ideas are logical"

Not necessarily. The Pro and the Con of any debate have to prove their side to any argument equally because debate resolutions can be framed both ways.

If pro argues "Socialism is bad" then the pro only has to show why socialism is bad whereas the con has to both defend socialism while also poking holes in the pro's arguments.

If con argues "Socialism is good", then as con he would be against socialism, the same as pro in the debate "socialism is bad" which means that con has to prove his case while the pro now has to defend capitalism and attack con's arguments.

Point is, resolutions make the role of the pro and the con interchangeable, meaning that being pro or con does nto influence chances of winning

"con has the gift of responding to pro instead of vice versa."

Thats just flat out untrue for any and all debates where the instigator is the con and the pro accepts the debate to respond to the con.
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

I'd like to point out that first round was acceptance, and my opponent should technically be disqualified. I don't really mind, but in the future, I will probably enforce my rules.

Onto my counter argument. When arguing against something, that should be defined as con. My opponent describes a situation where pro's premise argues against socialism. Ergo, calling such a person pro-anything is questionable.

As for going second, the author's true resolution will always be pro-something. If he argues 'con' against a resolution he does not agree with, he's really saying that he's pro-something.
imabench

Con

My bad, i missed the part about first round being for acceptance only

"When arguing against something, that should be defined as con"

Thats just your opinion though, you can argue against a negative and thus be the pro, arguing just like the con arguing against a positive. They are both interchangeable since resolutions can make the pro act as the con and make the con act as the pro.

"calling such a person pro-anything is questionable."

Exactly! sometimes the Pro has to argue either for or against a positive or negative resolution because the wording of resolutions affects who has the burden of proof to fill even if one is pro and one is con.

"If he argues 'con' against a resolution he does not agree with, he's really saying that he's pro-something."

In any debate the Pro has to state his views and present arguments to defend them while the con also has to prove his side with his own arguments as well. Both sides have to attack the other sides logic so neither have a distinct advantage.
M4sterDeb8er

Pro

Con is winning on a fairly even topic. This only proves my point.

Vote PRO
imabench

Con

I once again reaffirm that since the resolution makes the pro and con positions interchangeable, and that it is the duty of both the pro and the con during debates to introduce arguments making their case and attacking the arguments brought up by the other side.
Posted by Doulos1202 4 years ago
Doulos1202
Con is winning because he is dismantling your arguments...
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
M4sterDeb8erimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow. This, right here, is mindf*ck. Con is likely to win a debate in which con argued con is not more likely to win a debate. Therefore, argument to Pro. Conduct and Sources, however, go to con.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
M4sterDeb8erimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
M4sterDeb8erimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Easy win for con since he proved that both sides have an equal chance of winning. Pro never refutes this and instead essentially conceded by going for the ol' "My opponent is winning, thus I win." trick. Didn't work.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
M4sterDeb8erimabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro completely failed to hold his burden, despite his side being 100 correct. There has even been other debates on this topic that he could have referenced. Lost conduct for telling us to vote for him because he was losing.