1Historygenius
justsayin

Concealed Carry Laws Decrease Violent Crime

1Historygenius

1Historygenius

Pro

I believe that conceal carry laws decrease violent crime.

Round 1 is just for acceptance.
justsayin

Con

1Historygenius

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

As Robert Cottrol, JD, PhD, Professor of Law and History at George Washington University, wrote in the article "Gun Control Is Racist, Sexist, and Classist" published in the Sept. 1999 issue of American Enterprise:

"In recent years a majority of states have passed laws permitting honest citizens to carry concealed weapons, and the results tell us much about self-defense and the responsibility of the average citizen. Once it was passionately argued that such laws would turn minor altercations into bloody shoot-outs; now we know better. Over 1 million Americans have licenses to carry firearms, but firearms misuse by this group has been utterly negligible. Criminologists now debate not how much harm has been caused by concealed-carry laws, but how much good...

[A right to bear arms] says the individual is not simply a helpless bystander in the difficult and dangerous task of ensuring his or her safety. Instead, the citizen is an active participant, an equal partner with the state in ensuring not only his own safety but that of his community. This is a serious right for serious people. It takes the individual from servile dependency on the state to the status of participating citizen, capable of making intelligent choices in defense of one's life and ultimately one's freedom. This conception of citizenship recognizes that the ultimate civil right is the right to defend one's own life, that without that right all other rights are meaningless, and that without the means of self-defense the right to self-defense is but an empty promise."

In other words, concealed carry laws are very beneficial to the community. It allows people to protect others.

Here are some statistics from Campuscarry.com:

1. At the start of the 2010 fall semester, 14 Colorado community colleges (38 campuses) began allowing licensed concealed carry on campus.
2. Since the fall semester of 2006, Utah state law has allowed licensed individuals to carry concealed handguns on the campuses of Utah's nine degree-offering public colleges (20 campuses) and one public technical college (10 campuses).
3. Concealed carry has been allowed on the two campuses of Colorado State University (Fort Collins, CO, and Pueblo, CO) since 2003 and at Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA) since 1995.
4. After allowing concealed carry on campus for an average of more than three years (as of June 2011), none of these 26 colleges (71 campuses) has seen a single resulting incident of gun violence (including threats and suicides) or a single resulting gun accident.

When we look at the concealed carry movement as a whole, from its beginnings in the late 1980s to the present, we see a huge increase in the number of people with carry permits, from around one million in 1987 to around six million today. Now here's the kicker: during this same time frame, violent crime has fallen to record lows in America, hovering nationwide at rates not seen since the early 1960s.

Historic numbers of guns in the hands of private citizens, who are increasingly carrying those guns in public, and a dramatic, ongoing drop in violent crime. Now there's something to think about!

Tactically speaking, the element of surprise is a great thing. If someone doesn't know you have a firearm, then they can't tactically adjust them selves for that. If they were to try and rob you and you pull a firearm they didn't know about, that surprises most criminals, not all, but most. Something they were not expecting has the potential to rattle cages. Plus when you are out in public I think people are less likely to be jumpy or nervous if they don't see a firearm on your side and no badge on your shirt. Again, not all people would respond that way I wouldn't think, but some might.

http://concealedguns.procon.org...
http://www.campuscarry.com...
http://blog.chegg.com...
http://www.usconcealedcarry.net...
http://www.usacarry.com...
justsayin

Con

justsayin forfeited this round.
1Historygenius

Pro

Arguments extended.
justsayin

Con

justsayin forfeited this round.
1Historygenius

Pro

Arguments extended.
justsayin

Con

justsayin forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
More guns less crime has the most statistics and is newer as he added a portion of the book using 1977-2010 data, but the bias against guns is better written but older (2003).

Both are good, but more guns less crime was the first one, the bias against guns is like a sequel to his 1997-2000 data.

Read more guns less crime
Posted by 1Historygenius 4 years ago
1Historygenius
Cool I think I will read one of those, tell me which one you like best!
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
"the bias against guns" John Lott (reading it)
"More guns less crime" John Lott (read it)
"Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control" Gary Kleck (want to read it)

Lott = economist, 1977-2010 data.
Kleck = criminologist
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Guys it's easy to argue con!!
Posted by Chrysippus 4 years ago
Chrysippus
It would be a terrible, awful thing, and I don't recommend anyone do it, but one COULD conceivably argue that the laws themselves do not decrease violent crime - people carrying firearms because of these laws do.

That wold be awful. Don't do it, anyone. Semantics, and all that.
Posted by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
lol. No one in their right mind would take this debate =/
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
@Thett

Agreed. Their case is that conceal carry permit holders are not law abiding, when they have never commuted a murder.

It makes no sense.
Posted by thett3 4 years ago
thett3
@16k

Thanks for that, I do really appreciate it. However I was referring to logic more than anything else. It doesn't make any sense that allowing law abiding citizens to carry firearms could do anythng except decrease crime. Certainly reduce the amount of criminals.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
I cant do any more debates now :(

If could I would devils advocate
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
@HG

No I dont, I am reading many. I have written many large books (on word) on this subject but delete them as I think they are rubbish.

@OneElephaunt

(11) studies show no effect
(16) Show decrease
(2) Show increase

There is plenty of data for both sides. It comes down to whether deterrence theory applies. Easy win for pro here, (intro of lotts book, many other studies affirming this). But deterrence theory is the showdown, or unless the opponent is to lazy to google pdf files or PM me for the names of the studies to show no effect/increase.
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
1HistorygeniusjustsayinTied
Reasons for voting decision: f-f-f-FORFEIT
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
1HistorygeniusjustsayinTied