Sniper_Man_4567
Cami95

Confederate Flag

Sniper_Man_4567

Pro

I have periviously done a debate about this topic but my oppenent forfeited the debate. I wish to continue this debate and I am looking for a new contender. Thank you and Have fun.

This argument will start with the first round as a 'I accept' round. No argument shall be made during this round only opening statements of your position. I believe that the Confederate Flag does not stand for any racist intentions for most of the people who fly it; it is a sign of heritage, state power, peoples freedom, and a force of showing that citizens can speak what they want, when they want.

Vocabulary:
Racist: having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another
Sniper_Man_4567

Pro

Statement 1:
First off, the Civil War, in which the Confederate Flag was originated from, was not solely based on slavery and how Whites were racist against the Blacks or any other race. It was fought over how the North were forcing the South to pay protective tariffs for the new industries, and how the South was being ignored in the sense of how they wanted the nation to run. Slavery was actually a small issue in the big scheme of the Civil War. It was actually just used as a recruitment tactic because Abraham Lincoln knew if he supported the freedom of slaves, he would gain more support in his Union Army.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com......

Statement 2:
The Confederate Flag, the one that we see the most of, is not even the official Confederate Army Flag. It was actually the battle flag of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of North Virginia. It was never the official flag. So those who associate the Confederate Flag with it standing for the Confederate States of America are completely wrong.
http://www.pbs.org......

Statement 3:
Most people who fly the flag actually have no racial intention embedded within it. I fly the flag and I have no prejudice against any one race. Everyone, in my eyes, are equal. Now, I know there are some people who are racist and do fly the Confederate Flag with racial intention; but I know for a fact about 99% of the people I know who fly the flag are not racist at all. And there are also other flags that I find offensive that others fly while they say the Confederate Flag is offensive to them, so they ask me to take it down and completely ignore me when I ask them to take their own flag down.
Cami95

Con

Thank you Sniperman4567 (SM) for this debate and good luck. I will first respond to SM"s statements.

Statement 1:

SM claims that the civil war "was not solely based on slavery and how Whites were racist against the Blacks or any other race." While SM is correct that slavery and racism where not the solitary reasons for the war, as the south rebelled against the North for a number of reasons, slavery was and is accepted as a primary reason. The confederacy elected Stephens as there VP. "In 1861, Stephens explained to a cheering audience that the Confederacy was founded to expressly reject the proposition that men of all races were equal. Instead, Stephens stated, "The foundations of our new government are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."( http://www.cnn.com...) Clearly racism and slavery where incredibly involved.

Statement 2:

SM claims that because the Virgina battle flag was not the "official" flag and that "those who associate the Confederate Flag with it standing for the Confederate States of America are completely wrong." This Battle Flag of Northern Virginia " was used in battle beginning in December 1861 until the fall of the Confederacy". The flag's stars represented the number of states in the Confederacy." (https://en.wikipedia.org...) Thus it is indisputable that this flag was intended to identify the CSA. "The flag" eventually became the battle flag and, ultimately, the most popular flag of the Confederacy."( https://en.wikipedia.org...) We see then that SM is wrong.

Statement 3:

SM claims to "know for a fact about 99% of the people I know who fly the flag are not racist at all." This statement is facetious. Not only can SM not verify this claim and should be dismissed solely for that reason, even if this were true, the topic being debated is not about me proving that everyone who flies that flag is racist but rather that the flag itself as a flag can in a reasonable way be understood as expressing and/or representing the concept of racism.

Conclusion:

Now that it is clear that the flag in question was the most popular flag of the confederacy, and had symbols to identify it to the confederacy we can conclude that the flag does indeed represent racism as it represents a nation that was founded "upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition."
Sniper_Man_4567

Pro

Sniper_Man_4567 forfeited this round.
Cami95

Con

Cami95 forfeited this round.
Sniper_Man_4567

Pro

Sniper_Man_4567 forfeited this round.
Cami95

Con

Cami95 forfeited this round.