Conscious awareness exists after death.

Does consciousness exist after we die? Are we still aware of self and who we are and were? My position is that it does exist, that we can and do understand who we are and who we were.

Consciousness means: being aware of one self, surroundings, the universe, etc.

This debate will not be about any God or the lack thereof, but simply to explore the possibility of awareness outside the living body after death.

I accept would it be safe to assume round 2 is for argument and round 3 rebuttals and conclusions?

Thank you. Yes, round 2 will be for argument and round 3 for rebuttals and conclusion. I fully expect to be destroyed in this debate. However, I am working on a hypothesis and am hoping to create alternative thought in which to help guide the exploration of my assertion.

Consciousness is believed to be the result of any thought or idea. This is caused by chemical signals exchanged between neurons in the brain. This provides all thought and conscious function of the brain.The signals are carried by electrons to other neurons, causing the brain to create thought and conscious awareness.

Upon death, the chemical exchange stops. However, the electrons in the brain cannot be destroyed because energy can only be transferred, not destroyed. So, the electrons in the body must remain, though scattered through the body.

Gravity has an influence on electrons and will begin to cause them to attract. However, electrons have a repulsion rate greater than gravity. As electrons are both positively and negatively charged and depending on the rate of attraction, the quantity of positively charged electrons versus negatively charged electrons has an influence on how matter is defined and behaves. Subatomic particles containing electrons can be found as both a wave and a particle. Additionally, some of these particles can occupy two places in space at the same time. Most of the research has been done on photons, the electromagnetic carrier of light. When a pair of ions, one negatively charged and one positively charged are separated, and the negatively charged ion is changed to a positive charge, the paired ion changes without influence. The separation of electrons from the body, after death, have the same cause and effect relationship and change based upon influences of matter, which in the living body is based upon the chemical exchange between neurons. My hypothesis is that electrons are the particles of consciousness, they change from positive to negative in the living body giving signals of thought, similar to the pathways which help a computer function. What remains after death are the electrons, but without the chemical manipulation. Once gravity begins to take over the electrons attract and repulse, creating plasma. Plasma is influence by the electromagnetic fields present in the natural universe and once again the signals between electrons have the capability to change and transfer thought in this form.

First of all I must start by saying on relation the the question is there Conscious awareness after death? We must all admit we don't know that's because we can't know so the people who have to leave the debate right away are those who claim they do. We can only make logical arguments that lead to an honest assumption on the issue.

I would argue it is impossible for conscious awareness to exist and I think this one simple fact is compelling evidence for that. Everything we know about awareness comes from the brain and this is evident with: if you damage one part of the brain (prefrontal cortex ) somthing about the mind and subjectivity is lost (you may be able to remember the names of dogs but not tools, or recognise names but not faces) and you damage another part and yet more is lost (1), but when you damage the whole brain at death we can rise off the brain with all our faculties intact recognizing people/places and speaking english, this cannot believed by a thinking person. And this argument is an absolute hammer blow to the notion a conscious awareness existing after death.

I must admit, that when I posted this debated I failed to phrase it correctly and only realized my mistake afterward. I should have posted "Conscious awareness after death is possible." I realized that I cannot fully conclude that it exists in tangible form at this point because to my knowledge it hasn't been proven, only theorized. Accounts of out of body experiences and seeing past loved ones sparked some of the motivation for such research, but everyone who has made this claim has lived-- so making the argument they experienced consciousness outside the body is not possible because death is final, near death is not.

To rebut the second portion of your argument I would say you are correct in the factual basis of it. When the brain is damaged, the neuro-transmission of information is interrupted along pathways that were normally used before. Electric impulses in the brain follow the path of least resistance, and once the pathways are interrupted the information exchange is interrupted. My question is what happens to the function of the energy once the entire pathway is interrupted? Electricity can be stored as long as it has a vessel providing minimal resistance. Once the resistance overwhelms the force of containment, it discharges. So where does the energy in our body go after death? It must dissipate back into the universe. But, whether or not the form of energy that creates consciousness in a living person can somehow be maintained beyond death is not a question that has been answered and proven.

Therefore, I must concede.

As I have alluded to everything we know about consciousness comes from the brain, if there is no more brian there can be no more consciousness.

The only argument my opponent gave was "My hypothesis is that electrons are the particles of consciousness" this is a theory invented on the spot to try to sound intelligent. It is nothing more than a very wild guess, a stab in the dark at nothing. No other scientist has ever made such a claim and if they have had done so there would be no evidence to back it up.

My arguments however were backed by scientific facts that my opponent could not refute. It was also my opponents job to prove the motion and in no way shape or form has that being done.

Thank you
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gracefully concedes.