cpmeyer98
Stonewall

Consent is SEXY

Stonewall

cpmeyer98

Pro

All people should be allowed to express their sexuality in whichever way they please as long as they do it safely and consensually. For example, in many states, the age of consent is 16. If a 16 year old woman decides that she is prepared (emotionally and physically) for sex so she and her boyfriend (16) both protect themselves and they have consensual sex. Many of their peers or family members would either a) judge them for being "too young" or b) try to discourage them from having sex because they think that these individuals are not yet ready. What do you think? Even though it is legal, should these two be allowed to have sex? What if it was two women? Two men? 16 and 18?
Stonewall

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this topic. I have accepted this debate on the points made in the first round (i.e., consent is what matters in sexuality, everything else is a side note), and not the title itself, as the two are mostly unrelated. If this is an issue with my opponent, speak now and I will offer my apologies and forfeit the rest of the debate.
___

Consent should not be the only factor in a person's sex life. What if a person consented to sex at a younger age, say 13, despite what the law said? This sounds a tad young, so what if the other person was also 13? I don't know; maybe I'm not with the times, but I do think 13 is too young to have sex, even when it's completely consensual. There's far too much that's over a 13-year-old's head as far as sex goes; even a 16-year-old may not completely comprehend the potential consequences of his/her actions. We can't be judges of teenager's consents as there is no quantifiable way to measure that.

We live in a world where we encourage free speech and the right to do with our bodies what we will. We might even be pushing these boundaries- we're so concerned that we're going to offend somebody, we can't tell a 16-year-old that they might not be ready for sex without being slapped with "It's my right to do it!", ignoring the fact that they really might not be ready.

I do have more to say on the topic, but I kind of need my opponent to bounce ideas off of, otherwise I'll just ramble. I look forward to your response.
cpmeyer98

Pro

cpmeyer98 forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Con

I'd really like to discuss this further if my opponent would come back.
cpmeyer98

Pro

cpmeyer98 forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Con

In conclusion, consent should not be the only requirement for sex. That seems like too little to make good decisions.
Vote Placed by jvava 3 years ago
jvava
cpmeyer98StonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a solid argument. Plus, pro forfeited.