YYW
joshuaXlawyer

Contemporary American culture is rife with examples of glorifying stupidity.

YYW

YYW

Pro

RESOLVED:

"Contemporary American culture is rife with examples of glorifying stupidity."

OVERVIEW:

This is first and foremost a funny debate, but my hope is that it will be entertaining to read and "lighter" than some of the other debates on DDO as of late. The purpose of this debate will be to examine if it is the case or not the case that "contemporary American culture is rife with examples of glorifying stupidity."

Stupidity, for this debate shall include but not be limited to states, acts or facts of being stupid, where "stupid" shall be understood to mean but not limited to (1) lacking keenness of mind, (2) characterized by or emanating from a stance of dullness, foolishness or senselessness, (3) that which is tedious or dull, especially where this is so from a lacking of meaning or sense, (4) annoying, irritating or troublesome AND/OR (5) having proceeded from a state of stupor, where stupor means a suspension or great diminution of sense or sensibility.

The verb "to glorify" shall furthermore include but not be limited to: (1) to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered, (2) to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; to extol, (3) to make glorious; invest with glory AND/OR (5) to worship. "Glorifying" may be recognized by acts of veneration, praise, worship and/or celebration.

To satisfy my burden of proof, I must establish several (more than one) examples of glorified stupidity which may be sufficiently proven by satisfying one or more of the conditions listed above in each respective definition. "Rife" shall be considered to be more than one significant example of glorified stupidity. Acceptance of this debate indicated acceptance of the terms, definitions, conditions, and additional stipulations as such. Non-Americian examples of the cultural glorification of stupidity which have substantial impact on American culture shall be given equal weight as American influences to American culture because American culture does not exist in a vacuum.

STRUCTURE:

8k Characters/Round. Opponent must be ranked as good or better than me.

Round 1) Acceptance/Formalities

Round 2) Introductory Arguments

Round 3) Rebuttals and as necessary reconstructive arguments

Round 4) Concluding Remarks, Rebuttals as necessary. No new arguments or evidence. Sarcastic comments are not forbidden in this round.

RULES:

(1) No plagiarism.
(2) Quotes/videos/other media from beyond this debate MUST be sourced.
(3) Debaters are not to be held responsible if Youtube presents complications.
(4) Debaters may post videos in comments if and only if the original video they include in their round is removed from Youtube.
(5) Forfeits automatic loss.
(6) Sources must be posted in rounds.
(7) No willful misinterpretation of arguments.
(8) Opponent may not modify rules/terms/conditions in any way, shape or form.
(9) Acceptance of debate indicates acceptance of all rules, terms and conditions stipulated in round 1.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

Challenge Accepted.
YYW

Pro

Many thanks to my opponent for accepting this farcical, albeit cynical debate.

Before I begin, it is necessary to outline specifically what I am to establish in this debate. As stated in the introductory round, "the purpose of this debate will be to examine if it is the case or not the case that "Contemporary American culture is rife with examples of glorifying stupidity."

Stupidity, for this debate shall include but not be limited to states, acts or facts of being stupid, where "stupid" means (1) that which is lacking keenness of mind, (2) characterized by or emanating from a stance of dullness, foolishness or senselessness, (3) that which is tedious or dull, especially where this is so from a lacking of meaning or sense, (4) annoying, irritating or troublesome AND/OR (5) having proceeded from a state of stupor, where stupor means a suspension or great diminution of sense or sensibility.

The verb "to glorify" means: (1) to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered, (2) to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; to extol, (3) to make glorious; invest with glory AND/OR (5) to worship. "Glorifying" may be recognized by acts of veneration, praise, worship and/or celebration.

To satisfy my burden of proof, I must establish several (more than one) examples of glorified stupidity which may be sufficiently proven by satisfying one or more of the conditions listed above in each respective definition. "Rife" shall be considered to be more than one significant example of glorified stupidity. Moreover, because the debate is about those influences which are significant in American culture, those Non-Americian examples of the cultural glorification of stupidity which have substantial impact on American culture shall be given equal weight as American influences to American culture.

So, to summarize: I will demonstrate several examples of (1) things which are stupid, and (2) that they are glorified in American culture.

(1) The Case of "Mama" and "Honey Boo Boo"

"Mama" -affectionately known- refers to her daughter as "Honey Boo Boo," as well as "Smoochy" and "tee tee." They are part of a widely viewed reality TV show, ironically aired on TLC called "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo." The aforementioned show is centered on Honey Boo Boo's participation in child beauty pageants. Season one of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" was watched on average by more than 2 million people per episode (Wikipedia).

So, there are two aspects of stupidity to be examined here: the first being the show itself as well as the individuals on which the show is centered, and the second being the subject matter on which the subject is based. As previously mentioned, if which lacks keenness of mind is stupid, it follows that those individuals who lack keenness of mind are themselves stupid. That is not, however, to say that those individuals who are themselves stupid are bad people, but rather that they are below a common, mediocre level of cognitive brightness. Some examples of stupidity on the show are included in the second video. As Jimmy Kimmel noted, it "makes Jersey Shore look like Downton Abbey." As cited in the video examples, the individuals on the show (1) lack good judgment and (2) seem to take pleasure in their own destruction; both of which demonstrate their stupidity.

The cultural prominence of the phenomenon of this show has been staggering. As previously mentioned, on average more than two million Americans watched episode of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" last fall. It is noted as having had on occasion higher ratings than both the Republican National Convention (Hollywood Reporter), The Big Bang Theory (one of my favorite shows), Family Guy, American Dad, Storage Wars, Royal Pains, The Daily Show, Hannity, The Colbert Report, Top Chef and Robot Chicken -to list a few (Nielson TV Ratings). Both the prominence of the show from the extent of its viewership, and its relative position to other American TV shows demonstrate that it is glorified. This is the case because being a cultural phenomenon associated with the sticks of Georgia, it would have been otherwise ignored. That it is viewed by as many as it is indicates that it is treated as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than it would normally be considered.

(2) The Case of Jersey Shore

Surely, glorified stupidity in the United States exists beyond the South Georgian landscape. Indeed, so too is stupidly from New Jersey glorified in American Culture much in the same fashion that "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" is. The MTV based reality show which celebrated "guido/guidette" culture has received more than 2.1 million views for its episodes (TV By The Numbers).

The life-model of the 'guidos' of Jersey Shore is as simple as it is stupid: "gym, tan and loopback" or "gym, tan, laundry" abbreviated as GTL, and has been criticized for exploiting stereotypes of Italian Americans (TV By The Numbers). Despite the criticism, it's ratings only improved before the show was canceled. It remains a cultural phenomenon as figures like "Snooki" and "Jwow" as well as Mike, who refers to himself as "The Situation" remain relevant actors to American Culture.

Gratuitous examples of Jersey Shore Stupidity are cited in the videos, beginning with the "wisdom" of Snooki, some highlights of the season and outbursts of violence. From both the nature of the show, and the extent of it's viewership, we conclude that this too is an example of glorified stupidity in American culture.

To conclude, to satisfy that Americian Culture was rife with examples of glorified stupidity, I stipulated only that I needed more than one. I have listed two, so I have satisfied my BOP.

Please vote pro, especially if you're been laughing at all of this hilarious nonsense or even if you think it's just all nonsense.

I reserve the right to introduce more examples, as to do so would be to rebut any counterclaims to the arguments of my opponent, and I look foreword to the next round.

Peace out.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com...
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com...
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
YYW

Pro

Oh goodness...

It would seem that my opponent has forfeited his round. Extend all arguments.

Vote pro!
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
YYW

Pro

It would seem that my opponent has forfeited his round... again! Extend all arguments.

Vote pro!

Peace and love,

YYW
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Posted by YYW 3 years ago
YYW
That's sort of what I expected Josh to do, actually. It's so far as I can see the only way to negate the resolution. If there is any topic you want to debate with me though, Roy, please feel free to send a challenge. If I think I can put up a good case, I'll most likely accept.
Posted by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
I would have argued the semantics of "glorifying." Why do people watch these shows? Because no matter how stupid the people watching are, they are regular Einsteins compared to the people featured on the shows. Technically, the stupid people in the programs are being ridiculed rather than glorified. Unfortunately, this is not a vindication of American culture. If programs have to go that stupid to make people feel smarter than the participants ... well, it's a problem.
Posted by giraffelover 3 years ago
giraffelover
Does laziness count? Becuase I often have to put people's shopping carts away, sometimes it's RIGHT NEXT TO THE SHOPPING CART RETURN. There are also people too lazy to put their own stuff away when they're done with it at the gym. (I work at the YMCA). I talked to a guy at Subway and he told me there actually ARE people who seem to have a ruined day because someone mixed up their order. Can you say cry babies? So I'd say yes if laziness counted.
Posted by daerice 4 years ago
daerice
Hard to be the Con on this one.
Posted by Logic_on_rails 4 years ago
Logic_on_rails
My inability to vote prevents the execution of my vote, but it's clear that 6 points (not spelling and grammar) go to YYW.

It's a shame that a debate on this topic devolved into forfeits. While I think that culture does often glorify stupidity, I'd have at least liked to see some sort of utilitarian calculus on the glorification of stupidity or something similar.
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
How... did you accept this? Your ELO rating is a bit less than mine. Alas, this should be fun.

Best of Luck.
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
(6, cont.) Indeed it is precisely because I can describe subjectively examples like the phenomenon that is Honey Boo Boo to be "stupid" that I can make the claim. To say something is an opinion is not to say that it is invalid, only to require different grounds by which it was to be proven. Again, I refer you to the definitions I cited in the first round. (7) Sentiments about the lesser educated are tangential to this debate, which, in case you hadn't figured out, was a troll debate... lol. (8) Your personal tastes in TV are, while I'm sure interesting to you, irrelevant to the resolution. (9) I am not judging social groups, but rather -the numerous and abundant- examples within American culture of glorified stupidity. To say that X is stupid is not to say person who enjoys watching X is stupid. To translate that in a less abstract way, to say that the cultural fascination with Honey Boo Boo is stupid is not to say that All people who watch Honey Boo Boo are stupid. Again, if the law is something you intend to get into, you're going to have to work on not drawing conclusions that are broader than the scope of the premises offered in arguments.

Peace out,

YYW
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
Let the fun begin. (1) The media is a significant part of American culture, but surely not the only source of things I would cite. Note that the only "examples" I have posted have been in the comment section and not in rounds. Moreover, note the metric for "rife" that I listed in the debate (one or more examples). Semantic argument? Not my problem. If you accept the debate, you agree to play by my rules. If you're going to be a lawyer perhaps paying attention to those salient details would serve you well. (2) To watch others be stupid is to glorify stupidity, hence the reason I chose this resolution. Pay attention to definitions. (3) I'm not a sociologist. How keen of you to note. But neither are you, so what's your point? Stupidity is a normative observation, that is, an observation predicated upon opinion or interpretation rather than fact -that which is objective. It's necessarily subjective and up to interpretation, pursuant to the definitions I outlined in the first round. Again, the details, I assume, escape you. (4) The anti-sterotype argument you raise misses the point of what a satisfied BOP would look like on CON because to say that other cultures glorify stupidity does not negate the original contention that US culture glorifies stupidity. Study for that LSAT, because you're going to get the logical reasoning questions wrong if you don't understand how logical negation works. (5) On a levels-based analysis, culture is not necessarily above individuals or social groups, but rather comprised of both, in the aggregate. I understand that abstraction in this form is hard for you to follow, so I'll leave you to going to a dictionary for further reference. (6) And now, we're getting somewhere... sort of, with your observation that " Defining our humor and entertainment as stupidity is also a matter of opinion base upon no actual fact beyond that of our entertainment and media." More on that in the next post.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 4 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
All your evidence in the comments points to the media; However, other countries besides ours watch Mtv and...... *cough* Honey Boo Boo. I would like to point out that our culture is not "rife" with Glorifying stupidity, but some of us like to watch others be stupid. Now I could point out how stereotyping the American culture in to one Social group is idiotic, but your obviously not a sociologist. That is like me saying everyone in British culture love drinking tea, which is not the case "anymore". You have culture confused with a social group,but I must agree they are connected. It goes like this: Culture, Social groups, individuals. Now I would like to also point out that honey boo boo was something to parody, not one person believes being that stupid is correct. 16 and prego? Also something to parody as well as gawk at the drama because what culture isn't into gossip? Defining our humor and entertainment as stupidity is also a matter of opinion base upon no actual fact beyond that of our entertainment and media. Which in itself, "is on its hands and knees pleasing our ugliest desires."- myself. I myself have never watched these shows; however, I don't like the idea that we "Glorify stupidity" when what we are really doing is laughing *at* them. They are merely jesters on a t.v. screen. Plus probably helps the less educated feel better about themselves, they would probably feel a little smarter. Not everyone can be a intelligent like me an you, we all have our less intelligent people in our culture. I myself like shows like The Mentalist, CSI, NCIS, Boston Legal, Law and Order, etc. (Anime, as well cause that stuff a lot of the time takes comprehension to understand anything.) So, yeah lets not judge everyone just those social groups who like that stuff and even then the reason probably isn't the glorification of Stupidity.
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
I'll change that later on if no one accepts, though.
Vote Placed by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
YYWjoshuaXlawyerTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff