tule00017
Sipiri

Contraceptive Forms for High School Students

Sipiri

tule00017

Pro

As a senior at my school. My group and I are focusing on teenage pregnancy; we are determined to have high school districts provide contraceptive forms to students to be safe about sex. This focus isn't for us to encourage to have sex, but if teenagers decide to have sex to please be safe about it. In addition. if parents do not agree to this we want to have an opt out form where their child/children will not be receiving this form.
Sipiri

Con

Schools have no compelling interest in providing contraceptives to students. The purpose of schools is not to provide healthcare nor to provide any other service except insofar as it relates to the furtherance of education [1,2,3], though I do not contest that individual districts ought to have this option if they so choose. As an educator, I do feel that adequate sexual education is a necessary.

[1] tinyurl.com/z786mww
[2] tinyurl.com/jafrt2n
[3] tinyurl.com/zbkwkz6
tule00017

Pro

tule00017 forfeited this round.
Sipiri

Con

How do you propose the school will fund your program? Condoms cost money and checking an "opt out" list before handing them out takes time away from staff members whenever they could be doing their actual jobs.

Your "opt out" option is only be a token to parental authority and would be easily subverted. If everyone in school except a handful of students had access to free condoms, do you not think those students would simply ask their friends to provide them with condoms?

tule00017

Pro

tule00017 forfeited this round.
Sipiri

Con

My opponent forfeited every round. None of my arguments were answered. I don’t like the idea of winning by default, but here we are.

Tule: it’s good for students to get involved and address big issues like teen pregnancy. You need to be able to answer arguments like mine and not simply prepare for an abstinence-only type of response. You should also be aware that, in the U.S., condoms may be sold to minors in ANY state. A retailer who says it is illegal to sell you them is, frankly, wrong.
Posted by Sipiri 10 months ago
Sipiri
Addendum: Due to my pernicious editing in an attempt to shorten my statement, I made a grammatical error by failing to change a word's form. "As an educator, I do feel that adequate sexual education is a necessary." ought to have been "As an educator, I do feel that adequate sexual education is a necessity."

This is particularly embarrassing as, in that same sentence, I claimed to be an educator. Luckily, I am not an ELA teacher.
Posted by Sipiri 10 months ago
Sipiri
I butchered my opening statement. My works cited section alone was almost longer than 500 characters. I really ought to have looked at this restriction before agreeing to this debate. I strongly urge you not to make such a short debate in the future.

I am tempted to forfeit this debate entirely due to the unreasonably short amount of characters I am required to use. There is simply not enough room to give his topic the thought it needs.

For anyone interested, my full (and technically unofficial) statement may be found here: http://pastebin.com....

This comment was 600 characters long.
Posted by Sipiri 10 months ago
Sipiri
Yikes, that's a harsh character limit. I exceeded it by 2,500 characters in my rough draft. Time to trim.
Vote Placed by tejretics 10 months ago
tejretics
tule00017SipiriTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't really make a case favoring the resolution. Pro merely says that Pro's school is creating such a plan, which does nothing to advance their burden. Their burden is to show that contraceptive forms should exist for high school students, which is not met. Whereas Pro doesn't uphold their burden, Con has some decent arguments: first, there is no decent interest for schools to do so; second, there is no clear case from Pro to refute. Both are sufficiently convincing when weighed against Pro's lack of argument. Conduct to Con due to Pro's two forfeits.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 10 months ago
dsjpk5
tule00017SipiriTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.