Domr
AlexanderOc

Contraction Debate

Domr
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Domr

Pro

This is my first time on this end of a Contradiction Debate.
Con must ask questions trying to make me, PRO, contradict myself.

**This debate has a 1 Hour response time.**

Rules:

Rounds 1-3 are Question and Answer rounds.
Round 4 is for my final answers and if Con is stating any Contradictions.

However, Con may state when he/she believes a contradiction has been made at any time. (I suggest to continue asking questions, if applicable, in case it is proven no contradiction was made)

***If a contradiction is not mentioned until Round 4...

I, as Pro, am allowed one response in the comments to state why I believe I did not contradict myself (assuming this is the case.)

I am to start that comment with:

"CONTRADICTION REPLY:"

Up to 6 questions may be asked in Rounds 1-3. Round 4 no questions may be asked.

Questions are encouraged to be Yes or No, but you may use other types of questions if it has multiple choices, or other simple answers.

***** Not Applicable, or N/A, is a viable answer if the question and/or the answer choices to do not apply to me, which I must explain how they do not.

I.E.
"Do you have a wife?" 'no' ...
"
Do you beat your wife" 'N/A' as I do not have a wife"

Good Luck!
AlexanderOc

Con

1. Domr, what is your name?
2. Domr, what is your name?
3. Domr, what is your name?
4. Domr, what is your name?
5. Domr, what is your name?

No further questions.
Domr

Pro

Thank you AlexanderOc for accepting this debate.

I am sure your italicise has some sort of subtle meaning. However, to clarify, so there is not confusion to our voters, I will define name:

Name:
noun
a word or a combination of words by which a person, place, orthing, a body or class, or any object of thought is designated,called, or known.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

This definition leaves the door open to any designation someone has given me. For the purposes of your question(s) and this debate, I will answer with my birth name, as this was the first designation given to me.

1. Domr, what is your name?

2. Domr, what is your name?
3. Domr, what is your name?
4. Domr, what is your name?
5. Domr, what is your name?

**As all of your questions are the same (except for certain words in italics) I will give the same answer:

My name is Dominic Richard Groth.
My name is Dominic Richard Groth.
My name is Dominic Richard Groth.
My name is Dominic Richard Groth.
My name is Dominic Richard Groth.

AlexanderOc

Con

AlexanderOc forfeited this round.
Domr

Pro

My opponent has forfeited the previous round. I await any future questions.
AlexanderOc

Con

I apologize for the FF. I'm not used to the single-hour time limit.
I've already lost anyway so might as well have some fun.

"Domr, what is your name?" Is a simple question where I am just inquiring about your name. Perhaps as a greeting.

"Domr, what is your name?" Implies that the question was misheard and the 'is' was being emphasized for clarification

"Domr, what is your name?" This question is emphasizing the 'what'. The name is known, but the origin/sense of the name is not. I.E. What is that thing?

"Domr, what is your name?" This question is excluding every other person. This is used to make sure that Domr isn't accidently giving the name of an entity name "Your"

"Domr, what is your name?" Again, the emphasis is meant to clarify that the question is aimed at the name, and nothing else.

So, where's the contradiction? Nowhere in particular, but when you take into account the Pro answered all the questions the same, then it becomes apparent.

"My name is Dominic Richard Groth." Is only appropriate for the first question, as both contain no emphasis. however the following questions are all asking for different things, more clarification. Repeating the answer to question 1 would mean incorrectly answering the question. Not by providing the incorrect answer, but by providing the answer in the wrong way.

For example, question 2 should have been answered My name is Dominic Richard Groth. Notice the emphasis on 'is'. Very important. This new answer is now confirmation instead of the basic answer. He is stating that his name is in fact Dominic Richard Groth. However, my opponent didn't do this.

The same basic principle applies to all the proceeding questions. My opponent answered them in the incorrect way. Which is in itself a contradiction of the reality of the question.

Please, provide more complete answers Pro.
Domr

Pro

Con has admitted defeat.

And then continued to make a case for a contradiction. I would assume this means I am the winner, but i will refute his points.

"For example, question 2 should have been answered My name is Dominic Richard Groth. Notice the emphasis on 'is'. Very important. This new answer is now confirmation instead of the basic answer. He is stating that his name is in fact Dominic Richard Groth. However, my opponent didn't do this."

My opponent is stating I am supposed to emphasize my answers as he has emphasized his questions. This would be invalid.

He stated he emphasized words in his question for clarifcation that the question is understood. I understood the questions by giving them a correct response. My answer to not need to be emphaiszed.

The questions were answered correctly. They were complete answers that did not need to be italicized as I am not clarifying any point in my answer. You were merely clarifying your question. My answers were simple and straightforward.

No contradiction has been made.

Con is not allowed to ask questions in the final round, Therefore Vote Pro.

AlexanderOc

Con

Ever played Ace Attorney?
If there was one thing those games drilled into your head was that, no matter what, there is always a contradiction. Whether it is found is solely dependent on the willingness of the attorney to pursue it.

Of course in a situation like this. That's bull.

Good job Pro. Didn't see much of a way to win this one.
Posted by Domr 3 years ago
Domr
Lol Yahey. Did not even notice the typo.

But no the questions have to make me contradict myself
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
there is actually a way to make your opponent forced to contradict him or herself
Posted by YaHey 3 years ago
YaHey
Isn't there a contradiction in having a debate about trying to not make a contradiction but the title is called contraction?
Posted by Domr 3 years ago
Domr
Thanks Alex, I'll have to look into that Ace Attorney
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
DomrAlexanderOc
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: pro didn't contradict himself