Republican95
GeoLaureate8

Contradictions in the Bible

Republican95

Pro

Simple resolution to comprehend.

My opponent is to point out as many "contradictions" in the Bible as he can and I will try to refute them. If I can I win, if I cannot my opponent will.

This will be a challenge, but I Can Do All Things in the Lord Who Strengthens Me.
GeoLaureate8

Con

I'd like to first thank my opponent for starting this debate and I look forward to it.

My opponent has took it upon himself to explain how the contradictions I present, are actually consistent and non-contradictory. I will now present my selection of Biblical contradictions.

==========
Contradiction 1
==========

"The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name." - Exodus 15:3

=/=

"Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen." - Romans 15:33

==========
Contradiction 2
==========

"God is love." - 1 John 4:8

"Love is not jealous." - 1 Corinthians 13:4

=/=

"I the Lord thy God am a jealous God." - Exodus 20:5

==========
Contradiction 3
==========

"Thou shall utterly destroy them - the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee." - Deuteronomy 20:17

=/=

"Thou shall not kill." - Exodus 20:13

===========
Contradiction 4
===========

"...every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth." - Genesis 7:4

"...my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless." - Exodus 22:24

=/=

"God is love." - 1 John 4:8

-----------------------------------

I will end there for now. I look forward to my opponent's response.

Sources: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com...
Republican95

Pro

Republican95 forfeited this round.
GeoLaureate8

Con

Argument extended.
Republican95

Pro

Republican95 forfeited this round.
GeoLaureate8

Con

Argument extended.
Posted by J.Kenyon 7 years ago
J.Kenyon
How does Republican95 have 7 votes?
Posted by BruteApologia 7 years ago
BruteApologia
@Geo

[ "Yahweh, the God of the Bible, acknowledges the existence of other Gods, and prohibits the worship of them. Also, if you study comparative religion, you will realize that Christianity isn't monotheistic, it is merely the exclusion of other Gods. You'll even notice that sometimes this God of the Bible reveals himself as pluralistic. "Make man in OUR image." He's also referred to as Elohim, which is plural." ]

Please justify that assertion through some biblical reference/s. Whatever passage you provide, it'll most likely come down to created beings like angels, who are not in any way "gods" of the sort that they exist independently from the God of the Bible. Or in other cases, God will acknowledge the existence of humans that worship FALSE gods, but He will not in any way claim that they actually exist. As for Elohim, it had both a plural and singular use. When paired with verbs, it is a singular noun used to indicate a multiplicity of power.

[ "This type of jealousy is absurd. Should a parent get jealous if their child embraces other guardians, because the child is unaware of his biological parent's existence or identity? No. They would understand that the child is unaware. And even at that, jealousy is still a petty human emotion. I thought he's all-powerful and all-knowing. He should know before hand which specific people will go against his will, and therefore should not be surprised when it happens." ]

Israel was completely aware of God's identity so that excuse is irrelevant. Jealousy is only wrong when someone is showing envy of another's success/advantages. In God's case, He has absolutely nothing to envy except to have a passionate commitment to His people. When they disobey, they have gone after what is not in their best interests and instead rather harmful. Whether God is surprised or not is irrelevant to the matter at hand.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
As usual, if you guys want to continue this conversation message me for a debate. Otherwise, have fun talking with Geo :). I'm not a fan of debating on comment sections, forums, etc.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 7 years ago
GeoLaureate8
@BruteApologia

"I would say that God deserves respect more so than the other gods because they're non-existent. It is clearly insulting to pay your respects to a non-existent God, and refuse to do so with the REAL God."

Yahweh, the God of the Bible, acknowledges the existence of other Gods, and prohibits the worship of them. Also, if you study comparative religion, you will realize that Christianity isn't monotheistic, it is merely the exclusion of other Gods. You'll even notice that sometimes this God of the Bible reveals himself as pluralistic. "Make man in OUR image." He's also referred to as Elohim, which is plural.

"However, I personally prefer a more biblically-defined approach to answering this question. Jealousy is usually understood as "feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages" (New Oxford American Dictionary) in our modern-day society. This negative connotation was hardly the view of the Jews, especially as it concerns divine jealousy. Instead, jealousy was a passionate commitment to someone. The moral aspect was determined upon whether the object of this commitment was the self, or for someone external."

This type of jealousy is absurd. Should a parent get jealous if their child embraces other guardians, because the child is unaware of his biological parent's existence or identity? No. They would understand that the child is unaware. And even at that, jealousy is still a petty human emotion. I thought he's all-powerful and all-knowing. He should know before hand which specific people will go against his will, and therefore should not be surprised when it happens.
Posted by BruteApologia 7 years ago
BruteApologia
Greatness can be understood intuitively. For example, I know that it is greater for one to have infinite power than to have a finite amount. Whether this intuition is reliable can be disputed, but I see it as more plausible than its denial. Unless you had a defeater in mind? To reinforce Apologician's point without appeal to the ontological conception of God... I would say that God deserves respect more so than the other gods because they're non-existent. It is clearly insulting to pay your respects to a non-existent God, and refuse to do so with the REAL God.

However, I personally prefer a more biblically-defined approach to answering this question. Jealousy is usually understood as "feeling or showing envy of someone or their achievements and advantages" (New Oxford American Dictionary) in our modern-day society. This negative connotation was hardly the view of the Jews, especially as it concerns divine jealousy. Instead, jealousy was a passionate commitment to someone. The moral aspect was determined upon whether the object of this commitment was the self, or for someone external.

The former is prideful, envious, and leads to a hatred of others. Whereas the latter is more of what they had in mind for 'divine jealousy'. God has such a passionate commitment to us, that he protects us with His love from lifestyles that are harmful and unfulfilling. His jealously is therefore a beautiful and justified one, contrary to what biblically-illiterate atheists like Richard Dawkins might argue.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
We can't know what constitutes greatness because there is nothing static that is constituted by greatness -- because it's subjective. It's the equivalent of you saying we are confusing the question of how we know what constitutes sexiness as opposed to what sexiness actually is.
Posted by Apologician 7 years ago
Apologician
I don't see a problem. You seem to be confusing an epistemological claim with an ontological claim: how we know what constitutes greatness as opposed to what greatness actually is.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
The idea of concretely characterizing an entity as "greatest" is already suspect given that the term great is a purely subjective term.
Posted by Freeman 7 years ago
Freeman
GeoLaureate8, this may be of help.

http://www.reasonproject.org...
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
Loving the simile between Kanye and God.

"He doesn't like it when people choose to follow other religions than his own. Kind of like when Kanye West gets mad when people don't nominate him for awards."

Nice Geo.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: It might have been interesting to see how Republican95 would have responded to Geo's contradictions,though he forfeited the entire debate. This vote is also a counter-vote bomb to True2GaGa's vote bomb.
Vote Placed by dogparktom 7 years ago
dogparktom
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied
Vote Placed by GeorgeCarlinWorshipper 7 years ago
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied
Vote Placed by True2GaGa 7 years ago
True2GaGa
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied
Vote Placed by Osiris 7 years ago
Osiris
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 7 years ago
GeoLaureate8
Republican95GeoLaureate8Tied