DreadAlert
boredinclass

Convert an Atheist.

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

DreadAlert

Con

Hey there.

I'm a pretty strong atheist for a few reasons, I'm not an expert and I don't have a rock solid base of information, so feel free to let me know if something I claim is incorrect.
Voting pro would be for me to become religious.

-There is no proof of a God, and believing in God is blind faith.

-God is said to be omnipotent and all knowing and his word is final and correct and is all sorts of amazing. As far as I know, certain religious texts deem the Earth to be around 6000 years old. The Earth is proven to be at least a few billion years old.

-God created man and woman in his own image, but evolution / natural selection has been proven.

And I'm sure there's more points that have lead me to this stand of mine, that I can't think of right now, but I'd like to see what some others have to say about it.
boredinclass

Pro

Alright, I'm going to clarify my position. First, I'm not going to convert you to any specific religion, rather I will how you the potential benefits of believing in god and having a religious community

I'll start with your case and then move on to develop my own

>>>>believing in God is blind faith
-Why is blind faith bad?

>>>>god is said to be omnipotent and all knowing and his word is final and correct and is all sorts of amazing. As far as I know, certain religious texts deem the Earth to be around 6000 years old. The Earth is proven to be at least a few billion years old.
God created man and woman in his own image, but evolution / natural selection has been proven.
-I'm no going to lie, these claims made by the religious community piss me off beyond belief. I'm not going to tell you that science is wrong because that would make me stupid. Instead, God and Science can work together.

But the main point is, I don't know God, I've never met him/her/it. I don't know what his will is. The Bible is BS, so is the koran, the Torah and all other texts are liars. I don't claim to speak for god. (I'm Deist)

I will however use my examples of how I see God and how he helps me,.

I don't really have structure to this speech (sorry). I'll start by saying that God is whatever you make him. I find him (personally) as a loving caring thing who, probably, is one of the most chill beings ever. But I don't believe in hell. That is fine. I don't ever claim to know the god(s). Personally, God has simply been for me an incentive to help my community, and for many people this is their incentive to believe. It could help you. Just try it. Like AA, helps many people avoid drinking through religion and community. These are the benefits of God

Secondly, It cannot hurt you to believe in a god. If their is no god, you're back at square 1. If there is a god and he's like one of those vengeful god, then you're screwed. You can't lose with religion.

I'd like for my opponent to tell me a criteria which he wants me to show him that he should be religious
DreadAlert

Con

Well, while I see it's appealing to belief in a higher power, and I can see the moral values you might gain.
But I like to think that I'm a perfectly good person without any belief. And religions are all BS to me, because their holy books (the word of god) has been proven wrong. All-knowing maker?

I don't see any benefits of belief that would benefit me. And I don't think it should take belief in a God for someone to think before acting, or being a good person.

There is no logical reason to believe in a deity (from what I know), so why do it? In my eyes it just divides people and makes excuses for what humanity can't explain. A lot of the time I see it being used as a reason for conflict, or making money. I know that I don't have to be a part of either of these things, and I wouldn't be encouraging them by believing, but it just makes the whole GOD concept seem pretty awful, considering theres no proof behind all these terrible actions being committed in his name.

And if I was to believe in a God, I don't think I'd want to worship him. Why would he let things like the Holocaust, the Japanese Earthquake, The Haiti Disaster, Hurricane Katrina, etc, happen?
boredinclass

Pro

First, you contradicted yourself by saying. "while I see it's appealing to belief in a higher power" "I don't see any benefits of belief that would benefit me. "

secondly on that point. Extend my arguments about, that it can't hurt you.

>>>> And religions are all BS to me, because their holy books (the word of god) has been proven wrong. All-knowing maker
-I already answered that point. You don't have to join christianity, you could worship literally anything.

>>>>In my eyes it just divides people and makes excuses for what humanity can't explain
-Unless you actually support those ideas, then you believing in something has no personal impact.

>>>>There is no logical reason to believe in a deity (from what I know), so why do it?
- extend what i said

>>>> the whole GOD concept seem pretty awful, considering theres no proof behind all these terrible actions being committed in his name
-What? If I think what your saying here is true, then, you cannot influence what people do from the outside, you can only do it from the inside

>>>> I don't think I'd want to worship him. Why would he let things like the Holocaust, the Japanese Earthquake, The Haiti Disaster, Hurricane Katrina, etc, happen?
-Idk, people make up reasons why he did it, you can too
DreadAlert

Con

DreadAlert forfeited this round.
boredinclass

Pro

Ok he forfeits so we must assume that he converted to a religion, because he could not counter any of my arguments. vote con
Posted by DreadAlert 6 years ago
DreadAlert
Well, I just want someone to try and convince me into the belief of a deity. It doesn't have to be for any specific religion, and I welcome any challenge you might have. :)
Posted by TesterPot 6 years ago
TesterPot
"Voting pro would be for me to become religious."

This is one annoying stipulation. Had you left this out, I could've had a great time challenging your hard atheism to at least bring you onto the side of agnosticism. But as you're requesting we convert you to a religion... that's something that not only I wouldn't try to do, but is probably also an immediate condition for failure.
Vote Placed by Brenavia 6 years ago
Brenavia
DreadAlertboredinclassTied
Reasons for voting decision: I personally believe with boredinclass. Faith means believing in what you cannot see.