Convince me that the Christian faith is the truth

Recently, I have had many discussions and arguments with friends on this subject. I was a firm believer in evolution, however they managed to sway my views and now, I'm not so sure. The point of this debate is quite simple. My opponent has sole BOP to prove Christianity correct as the sole truth and to prove evolution wrong. The voters will decide whether or not my opponent has fulfilled his burden.

Any questions will be answered in the comments.

My opponent may begin his/her arguments in the first round.

Hello my friend!
I will be happy to debate with you

Christianity does not have to disprove evolution

I will give you any and all the information you want about why the chirtian faith in acurate in what it says, but the existance of a god does not have to disprove evolution. In fact, there are many theories that support evolution in the bible and how they may both co-exist.

A relevant theory is the "gap theory" which states that between Genisis 1:1 and Genisis 1:2 there was actually a huge gap of time where many of the theistic evolution may have came about.
Another theory is that because the bible never states how long each "Day" was, so it may have been huge leaps of time between each day where micro-evolution or even macro-evolution could have taken place

Good luck with the debate, my friend :)

Thank you for accepting this debate!

As mentioned, my opponent has the sole BOP. I see my opponent is new to the site, so I will explain what this means. Sole BOP means that only YOU, my opponent, have to prove anything. Since I do not have the Burden of Proof, my job in the debate is to refute arguments that YOU present without having to introduce any of my own.

Now, to address what my opponent has presented so far:
To the best of my knowledge, the Christian religion, creationist, teaches that people and this Earth was nearly "spontaneously" created by a higher power. Evolution teaches that the organisms on this planet slowly came into being through billions of years of natural selection (and other factors that spur evolution). Considering these two things, I do not understand how evolution and creationism can go hand in hand as my opponent suggests. If this is what he wishes to argue, then I request that he expands on his previous statements. If not, he must fulfill his BOP by proving that the Christian faith is the sole truth (this involves disproving evolution).

What is the "Gap Theory"
Gap creationism (also known as ruin-restoration creationism, restoration creationism, or "The Gap Theory") is a form of old Earth creationism that posits that the six-day creation, as described in the Book of Genesis, involved literal 24-hour days (light being "day" and dark "night" as God specified), but that there was a gap of time between two distinct creations in the first and the second verses of Genesis, explaining many scientific observations, including the age of the Earth. It differs from day-age creationism, which posits that the 'days' of creation were much longer periods (of thousands or millions of years), and from young Earth creationism, which although it agrees concerning the six literal 24-hour days of creation, does not posit any gap of time.

What is the "Day-age Theory"
Day-age creationism, a type of old Earth creationism, is an interpretation of the creation accounts in Genesis. It holds that the six days referred to in the Genesis account of creation are not ordinary 24-hour days, but are much longer periods (of thousands or millions of years). The Genesis account is then reconciled with the age of the Earth. Proponents of the day-age theory can be found among both theistic evolutionists, who accept the scientific consensus on evolution, and progressive creationists, who reject it. The theories are said to be built on the understanding that the Hebrew word yom is used to refer to a time period, with a beginning and an end and not necessarily that of a 24-hour day.

The differences between the young Earth interpretation of Genesis and modern scientific theories such as Big Bang, abiogenesis, and common descent are significant. The young Earth interpretation says that everything in the universe and on Earth was created in six 24-hour days, estimated to have occurred some 6,000 years ago. Modern scientific observations, however, put the age of the universe at 13.8 billion years and the Earth at 4.6 billion years, with various forms of life, including humans, being formed gradually over time.

The day-age theory attempts to reconcile these views by believing that the creation "days" were not ordinary 24-hour days, but actually lasted for long periods of time (as day-age implies, the "days" each lasted an age). According to this view, the sequence and duration of the creation "days" may be paralleled to the scientific consensus for the age of the earth and the universe.

Numbers, Ronald (November 30, 2006). The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design, Expanded Edition. Harvard University Press. pp. 624 pages.ISBN 0-674-02339-0.
Pennock, Robert T. (February 28, 2000). Tower of Babel, The Evidence against the New Creationism. The MIT Press. pp. 451 pages. ISBN 0-262-66111-X.
Chafer, Lewis Sperry (1964). Satan: His Motive and Methods (reprint ed.). Zondervan. p. 144 pages. ISBN 0-310-22361-X.
Gaebelein, Arno (1991). The History of the Scofield Reference Bible (reprint ed.). Living Words Foundation. p. 71 pages. ISBN 0-9628169-0-6.
Larkin, Clarence (2005). Dispensational Truth (reprint ed.). Kessinger Publishing. p. 268 pages. ISBN 0-7661-8427-7.
Numbers, Ronald (November 30, 2006). The Creationists: From Scientific Creationism to Intelligent Design, Expanded Edition. Harvard University Press. p. 624 pages.ISBN 0-674-02339-0.
Pember, George (1987). Earth's Earliest Ages (reprint ed.). Kregel Publications. p. 464 pages. ISBN 0-8254-3533-1.
Pink, Arthur (2007). Gleanings in Genesis (reprint ed.). Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. p. 408 pages. ISBN 1-59986-741-9.
Thieme, Robert (1974). Creation: Chaos and Restoration. Berachah Tapes and Publications. p. 34 pages.

TheRussian forfeited this round.

As the one with the BOP, I cannot respond to a forfited round, by my opponent. I will wait untill my opponent continues with his side of the debate, and then I will happily continue my argument for the christian faith.

I am very sorry for my forfeit, I was in an area with no internet access.

So far, all my opponent has done is explain the Gap Theory and the Day Age Theory. This is, thus far, a discussion, not a debate. My opponent has not yet attacked evolution, which is part of his BOP, and has done little to nothing in order to prove Christianity as the one true faith. As a result, I have nothing to argue and nothing to refute.

I emphasize that in order to win the debate, my opponent must disprove evolution.

It seems like my opponent made a mistake by accepting this debate and if he does not wish to argue against evolution, then we can call it a draw. But so far, my opponent has made no moves to fulfill his BOP.

As I have expressed earlier I believe that evolution is 100% plausible, and thus I do not wish disprove something I agree with.

I accepted this debate as the title was "convince me the the Christian faith is true" which was extremely misleading, due to the fact that you do not want to debate that, you are more focused on whether or not evolution is valid. So I will be happy to convince you of the Christian faith, but if not then you may call it a draw.

In the future, please make the title of the argument more specific to what it is that you want to discuss. =)

Well Evolution and Christianity do contradict each other, however I do see that you have taken a different perspective and don't take the Bible literally.

I would like to note that little has been done to prove Christianity, just explanations of theories, no proving.

Thank you for your time.

I request that no one vote on this debate.

Brandumful forfeited this round.
Posted by TheRussian 1 year ago
But one of the rules is to disprove evolution, which you have failed to do.
Posted by Brandumful 1 year ago
I don't remember one of the rules being, "Use the common interpretation of the bible." I see this interpretation as the correct interpretation, and if you feel like you can't debate these ideals, then forfeit the debate.
Posted by TheRussian 1 year ago
Yeah, I know haha
Posted by Jonnykelly 1 year ago
Con's interpretation of the Bible is not the common interpretation.