DebateHero82
InVinoVeritas

Cops should not be allowed to taser somebody merely verbally refusing to exit a vehicle-part 2

InVinoVeritas

DebateHero82

Pro

I am looking for somebody to continue this debate with me that I already started. I don't want a 15 year old kid as a debate partner, but rather an adult. Please give your argument first after reading over my points and the previous opponent's points.

http://www.debate.org...
InVinoVeritas

Con

Resolution: Cops should not be allowed to taser somebody merely for verbally refusing to exit a vehicle.

Does this resolution stand under all circumstances, if any at all? Let us delve into this matter.

---
A1:

In his prior debate, the debate stated the following: "As I said in my original statement the situation I oppose is somebody who is simply verbally refusing to get of their vehicle. They have no weapon."

The issue is that, in reality, in virtually all scenarios of this nature, the police officer does not know about whether or not the person has access to weapons within his/her car. A police officer needs to make sure that his life is not in immediate danger at all costs. By going up to the driver and manually pulling him/her out of the car, the officer exposes himself/herself to a wide range of potential threats. Why was the person hesitating to leave the car? Was he/she taking out a knife from the glove compartment? These a real possibilities that police officers face every day on the job. A taser effectively brings a suspect down with little direct physical contact, and it debilitates the suspect, making sure that he/she doesn't attempt to commit a violent act of resistance on an officer.

---

A2:

We have to remember that driving is not a right; rather, it is a privilege. If a police officer decides that he/she has sufficient reason to stop you in the first place (or if you have already been stopped and have done something to draw suspicions, then the officer has the absolute right to command you out of the car. And the driver is obligated to comply. If you do not step out of the car, you are essentially refusing to perform your obligatory task that has been designated to you by the officer; in other words, you are resisting the officer's authority. The officer is unaware of the suspect's underlying motives for resistance, but, chances are, the suspect has some. Therefore, the officer must proceed with serious caution when a suspect is resisting, and using a taser is justified.

---

A3:

What if the driver gives you his ID, and he is a wanted mass rapist/murderer who has a history of brutal violence. And when you ask him to leave the car, he refuses. What do you do? Based on this suspect's propensity for violence, does it not make sense that more precautionary measures should be used? The use of a taser would be completely justified in this situation, since the suspect, based on his history, poses a threat to the officers, especially if it is unknown whether or not weapons are accessible in the car, and it is most likely that such a fact would be unknown.

---

DebateHero82

Pro

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
InVinoVeritas

Con

"I don't want a 15 year old kid as a debate partner, but rather an adult."

Maybe the opponent shouldn't be so selective with his opponents, considering that he doesn't post arguments, anyway.

Extend dem arguments, playaz.
DebateHero82

Pro

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
DebateHero82

Pro

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
DebateHero82

Pro

DebateHero82 forfeited this round.
Posted by owen99999 5 years ago
owen99999
And btw I just read the argument and you don't know what acceptance means so go look up some debating standards, etiquette ect and you might get a hold of it.
Posted by owen99999 5 years ago
owen99999
I'm 15 and you're just being bias. I know loads of adults who can't remotely hold a position well in a debate and argue it correctly (my dad for example). I just wish I had the time to accept your debate to prove your bias wrong!
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
DebateHero82InVinoVeritasTied