rolandbeja
brant.merrell

Corporal punishment being reintroduced to schools

rolandbeja

Con

I disagree with this statement because teachers at school have no right to hit someone for any reason. If you don't get hit by your parents which created you why should a teacher hit you.
brant.merrell

Pro

I appreciate the chance to argue this topic.

For semantic clarity, the two possible debate-friendly meanings of this debate's title read as follows:

"Corporal punishment is being reintroduced to schools" - versus "no it isn't."

"Corporal punishment should be reintroduced to schools" - versus "no it shouldn't."

"Corporal punishment being reintroduced to schools" is like saying "Flowers being picked." One cannot agree or disagree, the sentence is worded as hypothetical. Based on my opposition's first round arguments, until otherwise specified, I will assume he means to use the latter, *should be* phrasing.

That said, although public schools do not typically practice corporal punishment, it was never legally un-introduced from schools.

1. Parents are entitled to corporal punishment
"Corporal punishment of minors within domestic settings is still lawful in 49 of the United States. Delaware outlawed it as child abuse in 2012"

2. Teachers are entitled to the same teaching methods as parents according to "In loco parentis," a legal doctrine adopted by both the United States and Britain.
"this doctrine can provide a non-biological parent to be given the legal rights and responsibilities of a biological parent if they have held themselves out as the parent"

A doctrine that was never removed cannot technically be reintroduced.

To 'reintroduce' corporal punishment, we would have to first ban it, then reintroduce it. I argue that we should not reintroduce it because that would require us to take the time to unnecessarily ban it.
rolandbeja

Con

rolandbeja forfeited this round.
brant.merrell

Pro

Delaware children are too soft for corporeal punishment, but many children in other parts of the nation have much duller feelings. There's a plague infecting close to one fourth of Oregon that causes the auditory perception of children under eight years old to undergo static overload when verbally instructed to change their behavior, and they can become lost souls without getting other clear forms of communication from adults, such as all-out beatings. The ones in my home state of Texas are made of rubber, and punching and scratching are our 27th and 28th letters of the alphabet - we would lose a historically significant portion of our culture without it. We need to continue to bridge the generation gap between adults and their children, and corporeal punishment is a key element of that plan.
rolandbeja

Con

rolandbeja forfeited this round.
brant.merrell

Pro

My opposition should have smoked me in this debate, but had the courtesy not to show up. If he feels any future need to redeem his lost opportunity, I will be available for whatever challenge he wishes to issue.