Victorian
AdamCass

Corporate tax should be abolished

AdamCass

Victorian

Pro

I will be arguing that the corporate tax is logically flawed, economically harmful, and that other methods of raising tax revenue are preferable. First round is for acceptance only.
AdamCass

Con

I am arguing against that motion, and I believe that corporation tax should certainly not be abolished. Corporate tax is a fundamentally important tax measure, ensuring that large corporations pay their fair share in taxation. Private corporations utilise public infrastructure, and therefore should appropriately contribute to the payment for such infrastructure. Furthermore, corporations typically contribute negatively to the environment, through waste and emissions, and through taxation they are able to pay for government services to clean up such waste.

Corporate profits, even during the Global Financial Crisis, were incredibly large, and today they still continue to increase. While this takes place, corporate executives continually receive bigger pay checks. This is contributing to a growing wealth gap, a wealth gap that, according to the World Economic Forum, can potentially destabilise the world's economy. There isn't a more effective way at redistributing wealth than taxes on corporate super-profits.

In the United States, corporations are treated like 'people', and demand to have the rights and freedoms of individuals. This has been apparent since 1819, with the Supreme Court case: Trustees of Dartmouth College v. Woodward. If corporations demand to be treated as a citizen, then they should pay tax. They can't only have the better side of the deal.

Certainly the effectiveness of corporate taxation comes into question. However, to abolish it is to not correct the problem. Currently, major companies launder major profits and take them overseas, avoiding taxation in tax havens. This is due to inherent loopholes in the corporate tax code. The taxation can be made more effective, by closing loopholes and ensuring that corporations pay their fair share of tax.

Revenue raised from corporate tax pays for infrastructure, education, health, military and all areas of government works. At a time where the U.S. government is an a huge amount of debt, the abolishment of corporate tax is ludicrous, and unjustifiable.
Victorian

Pro

Victorian forfeited this round.
AdamCass

Con

AdamCass forfeited this round.
Victorian

Pro

Victorian forfeited this round.
AdamCass

Con

AdamCass forfeited this round.
Victorian

Pro

Victorian forfeited this round.
AdamCass

Con

AdamCass forfeited this round.
Posted by Victorian 2 years ago
Victorian
AdamCass,
SORRY! I completely forgot about this debate. If you would be interested, we could start the debate over, if not, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.
Posted by AdamCass 3 years ago
AdamCass
I apologize, I was not familiar with the 'acceptance' aspect of a debate. Because there is no way for me to delete or remove my debate post, please disregard it and it's content, and replace with this below:

Yes, I accept the debate.
Vote Placed by ChosenWolff 2 years ago
ChosenWolff
VictorianAdamCassTied
Reasons for voting decision: First round arguments
Vote Placed by GOP 2 years ago
GOP
VictorianAdamCassTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made arguments on the first round. Pro basically didn't make any.