Democraticsnakelvr
ScarletGhost4396

Corporations should not have the same rights as people

Democraticsnakelvr

Con

I believe that corporations should not have the same rights as individual people.

Quote: Money buys our politicians. Most of the money comes from multinational corporations. In the end, our politicians do not serve us; they serve the people who pay them. It's time to change that. It's time to end the corporate takeover of our government.

-http://www.wolf-pac.com...

I am going to argue that Corporations are not people. They have none of the Constitutional rights of human beings. Corporations are not allowed to give money to any politician, directly or indirectly. No politician can raise over $1,000 from any person or entity. All elections must be publicly financed.

The Corporations are slowly taking over our government by using there excess of money and buying off all of the government. I think that this should not only apply to people who work for the government but people who would influence the passing of any bills whatsoever.

This is my first debate so i am sorry if i make/made any mistakes and am open to anything i should change. thank you

-Jacob
ScarletGhost4396

Pro

Oops...I misunderstood your position in this debate. Never mind.
Democraticsnakelvr

Con

Democraticsnakelvr forfeited this round.
ScarletGhost4396

Pro

ScarletGhost4396 forfeited this round.
Democraticsnakelvr

Con

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

ScarletGhost4396 forfeited this round.
Posted by Mark1068 5 years ago
Mark1068
Corporations are people - people numbering from 1 to infinity - organized, having a common mission and goal. Corporations are legally recognized and granted certain rights as a extension of the person(s) rights who own the corporation. They are formed for a number of reasons, most often to shield the stock owners, officers, etc. from legal liability. The Bill of Rights recognizes the peoples right to organize, and the corporate entity formed is a prolongation of the peoples right to organize and peacefully assemble.

Separating individual persons legally - via incorporation - gives them the power to pursue specific business or other goals. Without legal, corporate separation, MANY business endeavors would not take place. This is not because a corporation has intents contrary to the public good (via hiding behind a corporate veil) but recognizes and protects the individuals themselves as different legal entities than the mission they've organized. Corporations share some common rights that individual persons do, but only to strengthen those persons in their pursuit of happiness.

Without corporate rights, we would not be able to prosper economically. Corporations represent more than one person and their rights, where individual rights protect them singularly.

@ darris321 - I was a registered Libertarian for years. I now think/see/believe that 3rd parties tend to be destructive. There are instances, where two nominees for a political office are so inept that 3 parties are necessary and good.

By me voting Libertarian, even though I thought the Libertarian candidate best, I see that I hurt my political aim (conservative). My vote, essentially, only took away from my goal. Basically, my vote may as well been for the opposition. Battles aren't won in one clean sweep - they are won inch by inch. I took me a long time to realize this.
Posted by Mark1068 5 years ago
Mark1068
Corporations are people - people numbering from 1 to infinity organized, have a mission and common goal. Corporations are legally recognized and granted certain rights as a extension of the person(s) rights who own the corporation. They are formed for a number of reasons, most often to shield the stock owners, officers, etc. from legal liability. The Bill of Rights recognizes the peoples right to organize, and the corporate entity formed is a prolongation of the peoples right to organize.

Separating individual persons legally - via incorporation - gives them the power to pursue specific business goals. Without legal, corporate separation, MANY business endeavors would not take place. This is not because a corporation has intents contrary to the public good (via hiding behind a corporate veil) but recognizes and protects the individuals themselves as different legal entities than the mission they've organized. Corporations share some common rights individual persons do, but only to strengthen those persons in their pursuit of happiness.

@ darris321 - I was a registered Libertarian for years. I now think/see/believe that 3rd parties tend to be destructive. There are instances, where two nominees for a political office, are so inept that 3 parties are necessary and good.

Posted by darris321 5 years ago
darris321
Also, publicly financed elections kill 3rd parties who already have hundreds of hoops to jump through and barriers to entry.
Posted by darris321 5 years ago
darris321
Your first argument suggests that you are pro, not con.
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
I think this goes more into liability in lawsuits and all that.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
I won't debate this topic because I'm in too many debates right now, but why shouldn't they their people too.
Posted by Danielle 5 years ago
Danielle
You should be Pro.