GufranLahib
Stefy

Cosmetic Surgery Should Be Banned

GufranLahib

Pro

Have you noticed that an increasing number of celebrities are having cosmetic surgery? It is because they want a better image to present to the public. But should all of us join in?
The cosmetic surgery trend misleads people into thinking that looks are most important. They might copy their idols' looks so they can feel good about themselves and be accepted by the public. This would be bad for society.
More importantly, cosmetic surgery involves risks. Some doctors might not even have a licence. If the effect is not what you expected, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Once your face is changed, it's changed.
I think cosmetic surgery should be banned as soon as possible, before anyone gets hurt.
Many patients undergo plastic surgery only because they need it. For example, people who have facial injuries or were born deformed may require surgery to fit in with society.
More importantly, we are already free to change our appearance in whatever ways we like. We dye our hair, grow beards, pierce our bodies and get tattoos.
Stefy

Con

I completely understand your reasons for being against it in terms of I think we shouldn't place such an importance on outward appearance. But it comes down to personal choice. If you don't agree with cosmetic surgery then don't get it its as simple as that.
As for the risk of the doctor being unaccredited that is already illegal its only legal to go to an accredited proffesionel. And I know people go to the bad ones anyway but banning all cosmetic surgery would help that.
It upsets me when people are uncomfortable in their own skin I feel bad that they do. But if they want to change themselves what right do me or you or the law have to say no?
GufranLahib

Pro

In every society, beauty is what many people want. People strive to be flawless and beautiful to achieve perfection because they believe beautiful people get things better. However, people nowadays are more egocentric and obsessed by beauty and looks. Korea, for instance, now has the highest rate of cosmetic procedures in the world. A district in Korea, called Gangnam, is a suburb with many plastic surgery clinics. Many people of all ages and sexes have had cosmetic procedures to satisfy their desire of being beautiful. This does not only happen in Korea, but also other countries. United States, China, and Japan are also top-ranked in performing surgeries, for example. Plastic surgery has boomed all over the world as the number of procedures increased. However, plastic surgery is not considerable and should be banned.
First, plastic surgery can bring poor outcomes to the patients. Based on an analysis by Roberta Honigman and Katharine Phillips, plastic surgery may bring negative outcomes despite it can also bring high satisfaction rates to their patients (Sarwer, 1998). These poor outcomes, such as social isolation, family problems, and self-destructive behaviors, are mostly caused by the patients' dissatisfaction about the result. Why does this happen? Most of the time, patients think of only the positive outcome they will get. However, if the procedure is already done and the result is unexpected, the procedure can't be undone. Despite another surgery can be done for the patients, but it will simply be costly and might make the result worse, instead. However, if plastic surgery is banned, there is a big possibility that the government will be able to avoid overloading problems in the country.
Lastly, plastic surgery may have influenced the youth too badly. Currently, plastic surgery is not just open for adults or grown-ups, but it is also open to the youth. In Korea, for instance, a plastic surgery clinic reported that 90% of their clients are under 30 years old, and half of them are under 18 years old (Francis, 2013). The wants and vanity of people have gone out of control as it trickles down the youth. Young people, such as teenagers and young adults, are supposed to live normally and accept themselves just they way they are. If their lives are influenced by a cosmetic procedure, most of their lives will not be the same emotionally. In fact, young people are supposed to live without impacts from surgery because they are the generation that will lead the country later on. Some will even be the future country leaders. For this reason, I think the government should take action to save the normality of youth age by banning plastic surgery.
My conclusion is that plastic surgery is not good and should be banned. Plastic surgery brings poor outcomes to the patients, diseases and disorders, and bad influences for the youth. Cosmetic procedures are not just a regular surgery, but it is a serious problem. I think people should not just consider about the short-term outcomes of plastic surgery, but also the long-term impacts. The reason is because the results of plastic surgery are not temporary. So, I think it's best if plastic surgery is banned.
Stefy

Con

Everything you said about the high rates of surgery in South Korea, ect. and about it often having negative emotional consequences and occasional bad physical consequences is absolutely true and accurate. However, people have access to all the information about cosmetic surgery that they want and it is within their grasp to be aware of the consequences.
Now I actually support banning cosmetic surgery for anyone under the age of 18, but once you are a legal adult you should be aloud to make your own decisions about your own body.
And also, their are not as many emotional ramifications in South Korea because cosmetic surgery is so common and normal, not that I'm advocating for it being that common.
I disagree with banning it because it restricts your freedom over your own body and negative consequences do not impact anyone else.
I understand your concerns about how beauty obsessed our society is and I agree, however I believe the better route to take is to launch public awareness campaigns and education campaigns to try and change attitudes about our ridiculously high standards of beauty and changing how people and beauty is portrayed in the media. If someone wants to get a nose job or a breast augmentation in the meantime, what's the big deal? Their adults and they should be able to do it.
GufranLahib

Pro

A friend went to the wedding of a British man and his Texan girlfriend. She looked across the aisle and saw a whole row of identical-looking women. "I didn"t know Diane had so many sisters," she said to her neighbour. "Oh, they"re not family," came the reply. "They"ve just all gone to the same plastic surgeon."
The Government published the responses to its consultation on regulating the industry. For a medical process that can cause disfigurement and even death, the rules are astonishingly lax. Any doctor can practice as a cosmetic surgeon, with no specialized experience or training. When patients go for a consultation, it"s as often with a sales rep as a surgeon. There is no cooling-off period to allow people to change their minds, and some clinics take non-refundable deposits on the spot. They offer buy-one-get-one-free deals, as if boob jobs were packets of cereal, and they even bombard 17-year-olds with texts offering them procedures at their next birthday.
Prescription medicines can"t be advertised. So why do we allow advertising of major surgical interventions with questionable physical and psychological results? Yes, some people may be thrilled with their nose jobs or bigger breasts. But many aren"t. Some simply alight on another part of their body to hate. Some find that their smoother forehead doesn"t solve their relationship problems. Some have unsightly scars, eyelids that won"t shut or implants that rupture. Most chillingly, a whole clutch of studies has found that women with breast implants are three to four times more likely to commit suicide than those without. Whichever way the line of causation runs, it"s alarming.
So there is a lot that ministers can do to tighten up the industry. But we also need to look deeper and ask why women hate their bodies and faces so much that they are prepared to spend a fortune, suffer pain, and take serious risks in going under the knife. For this is an overwhelmingly female problem: women comprise 90 per cent of plastic surgery patients. And it starts early: Girlguiding UK found that 47 per cent of girls said that the pressure to look attractive was the most negative part of being female and half of young women aged 16 to 21 would consider cosmetic surgery. They"ve watched extreme makeover shows on TV, they"ve read bitchy criticism of any female celebrity"s slightest imperfection and they"ve been bombarded in the media by a narrow definition of beauty which the vast majority of them can never attain.
Then we see women being chosen, as TV presenters or celebrity WAGs, entirely on the basis of their youth and beauty, not their intelligence or wisdom or kindness or humour. Men can age and be ugly in public life; women can"t. If we find that we"re invisible over the age of 50, possibly even 40, it"s not surprising that some of us are prepared to take drastic action just to make ourselves seen again.
It would be good to see similar research on TV viewing figures. There"s a huge and growing older demographic, who are more likely to stay in and watch TV. I am sure ratings would go up if more older women appeared on their screens. When I conducted an informal focus group on this subject with younger women, even they said they wanted older role models and would prefer to see older women presenters.
And then, perhaps, women could stop looking at themselves through a filter of self-hatred. They might start thinking, "I"m a fun person", rather than "my nose is too big". Instead of obsessing about how they look on the outside, they could start thinking about who they are on the inside.
Stefy

Con

First of all that anecdote I do not believe makes a case for banning cosmetic surgery because people looking similar because of it does not mean that it needs to be banned. You can ban something because you don't like some body's physical appearance.
Second, I actually agree with you about the sorry state of cosmetic surgery's regulation. The rules need to be less lax and surgeons need to be certified for these sorts of procedures. But it is possible to make these regulatory changes without banning cosmetic surgery all together.
Also banning cosmetic surgery wouldn't improve womens' body images. Cosmetic surgery is a symptom of a larger problem not the cause. We need to teach girls from a young age to not be ashamed of their bodies by teaching body acceptance in school and promoting it in media across all age demographics. But on the other hand if we do all that and someone still wants to get cosmetic surgery we can't force them to live uncomfortably in their own skin. And I think that shaming people who have gotten surgery just makes the problem worse. Controlling people's bodies is not how we promote body acceptance.
And I think that while women are the majority of patients, you make the false assumption that men do not get cosmetic surgery.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
If that is their pursuit of happiness, then they have the liberty and the right to get it. YOU do not have the right to restrict them.