gokorea
yoon172

Cosmetic Surgery-should it be restricted or not?

gokorea

Pro

The number of cosmetic surgeries have increased, according to the Washington Post, by 440% compared to the number in 1997. The side effects and black market society has increased as well.

Today, I brought up a question-should cosmetic surgery be allowed or not? My motion is to restrict cosmetic surgery through the Korean Medical Association(KMA), making qualifications to get plastic surgery harder and limiting outside or private institutes.

I define cosmetic surgery as an operation performed in the beauty industry, not including reconstructive surgery.

These days many people are exposed to the black market. A normal student, like teenager, can go to any place, and go to a clinic to get liposuction or surgery and buy clothes to fit my new shape all in the same area. This unlimited freedom of surgery needs a solution. I propose a policy that restricts the black market's activities.

In this round, I will talk about the needs and I will talk about the benefits in round 2.

I have 2 points to talk about.
First, costmetic surgery is a harmful influence on people
Second, unlimited surgery causes the increase in black marketing.

Costmetic surgery is a harmful influence on people. As time changes so do the standards of beauty. People follow the trends whenever they change. People ask surgeons to make them look like the latest famous star. Doing this ignores the natural beauty and diversity that our culture is made of. For example,a notable chacteristic of a native Korean citizen is to have small eyes of small nose and wanting them to be bigger. Therefore, Koreans should not be ashamed of our appearance and shouldn't tamper with it.

Having unlimited surgery increases the activity of the black market. Lots of money goes into the cosmetic surgery market. Rich people can afford it, but poor people can't. So many unqualified surgeons do the surgery for cheap. This increase of surgeons has jumped up about 300% since 1999.

Therefore, Cosmetic surgery should be limited because of the harmful influence on people and the cause of an increase in black market activity. Thank you for reading..
yoon172

Con

In this round of debate, I will talk about the benefits of cosmetic surgery.

The benefits of cosmetic surgery are fantastic – both physically and emotionally. You will not only look and feel younger, thinner, and prettier, but your self-esteem will increase as well. Many cosmetic surgery patients discover that they are more outgoing, more personable, and more confident.

Procedures like liposuction can greatly enhance your life. People who have had these procedures find themselves more physically active and much healthier than they ever would have imagined.

Individuals who undergo cosmetic surgery find themselves emotionally more confident. Patients are no longer self conscious about their physical defects. You can focus on living your life instead of worrying about the way others are looking at you.

Although many people may have a negative image of cosmetic surgery, there are still many reasons why a large amount of procedures should be looked at as beneficial. Depending on the kind of surgery you will be having performed or the reasons behind it, you may have a nice, healthy road ahead of you.

With some patients, they are looking to have something altered, removed or even added on in order to change a certain defect with their face or their body. When children are born with any number of birth defects, they can actually be fixed with a healthy dose of plastic surgery. Additionally, you may even have a variety of parents who will seek out plastic surgery to help their children get rid of any scars or other issues that came from an accident.

Although many people may end up thinking that cosmetic surgery is only for celebrities or those people who have money to throw around on haphazard procedures, there are plenty of people who need various plastic surgeries in order to improve on their quality of life. For those who do not have the funding for it, there are often times a good amount of ways that they can get funding through certain programs or even with a loan or payment plan through the surgeon that they are dealing with.
gokorea

Pro

Thank you, the opponent speaker, for participating in this debate. As the speaker of the affirmative side, I would first like to show benefits of our policies, second I would like to rebut to the opposition, and thirdly, give a brief summary of this affirmative team.

First, the benefits of this policy- setting restrictions gives the proper motion to the individual. People have a wrong concept of beauty. We're not all celebrities nor do we need to look like them. I need to ask the opposition, how far will you let them go? Give people the chance to learn that cosmetic surgery is not an essential necessity to life.

Secondly is the decrease of surgeries in the black market. By raising qualifications and restrictions, you can restrict the black market. It helps detect the black market much more easily. These restrictions also decrease the bad side-effects of surgeries gone wrong and increase overall safety.

Going on to some rebuttals, the opponent side said cosmetic surgery is very good because people no longer have to worry about their out-looking. However, by having more and more cosmetic surgeries, there are a lot of possibilities that people will think that appearance is the most important thing.

Moreover, how come you are saying about plastic surgery, while we are talking about cosmetic surgery? According to kin.naver.com, professor Lee says that cosmetic surgery is part of plastic surgery, but it is for making people's face/body better, but it is not for people who have defects.

Now, I would like to also emphasize that cosmetic surgery has much possibility to fail, which means that patients(those who gets the surgery) may get worse result, while they want to get good result. Therefore, the opponent's reasons were not necessarily important or true.

Finally, I would like to summarize our case. My policy will restrict surgeons and hospitals so unskilled unqualified persons cannot perform illegal surgeries which in turn helps spotting illegal clinics easier. Why do we need it? It is because unlimited cosmetic surgery is such a harmful influence to the individual and wrong concepts that outer beauty is more important than inner beauty, which here means personality, etc. In conclusion, I beg to propose strongly because of these reasons.

Thank you for reading my arguments, members of debate.org. I hope you enjoyed my last round of this debate, and Happy New Year!
yoon172

Con

In this round I will post some new arguements and rebuttals.

It is true that in cosmetic surgery, there could be failure. However, it is said that this is rare. A survey revealed that most patients (90%) are satisfied with the result of cosmetic surgery.

The pro speaker said that we are not all celebrities and we should not look like them. Not all celebrities have went through cosmetic surgery and it doesn't mean that people shouldn't copy them. All the people are taking the risk to have cosmetic surgery for a reason. The pro speaker is correct that cosmetic surgery is not a need but a want. I can see some adults wanting cosmetic surgery just like kids wanting video games.

I can give some examples why some woman want cosmetic surgery. Let's say that one woman is not as "attractive" as the other women but has a good personality. Most men would want to look for a good looking person. Cosmetic surgery can really change someone's life by just appearence.

The pro speaker debated that there could be unskilled surgeons. However there is no proof that they are unskilled. People can't blame them because it could be something else such as failure.

Not everyone has natural beauty. It is true that some Koreans went through cosmetic surgury to make eyes and nose bigger. Though they do change their eyes and nose it does not mean that we are ignoring diversity and culture. We still look Asian on the outside.
Posted by gokorea 9 years ago
gokorea
To Yoon :
Well..I don't care about that!! Can't you be as kind as Daniel is?? See? He NEVER talks about bad things of me. Do you like me or something??? HAHA(─┏) Sorry- check you e-mail please..

To everybody :
Hello Yellow Mellow everyone!! (sorry for copying it, Daniel.) I am Jane. In this week, I am participating in a English Mock Trial Competition.. I am pretty nervous, though. So, what I wanted to say was.. just cheer me up~ please??? Thank you everybody!! Have a great days!!

To Yoon :
You chewed my e-mails, you know. I hate when I was ignored.

To Yoon :
what does LOL mean?? Sorry, I am a dumb-dumb.. You are smart.

To Yoon :
Every time you write your comment you are saying I am cheater.

To everybody :
Yellow~ Yoon is exaggerating~~ Don't beleive him~~ Yo~
I am innocent~~
Posted by or8560 9 years ago
or8560
Hello Yellow Mellow everyone!! I just put this up because I was bored.
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
LOL Jane, the only reason why people voted for is because of your cruel and cheating methods. such as you threatening other people to vote for you or making your family vote for you.
Posted by gokorea 9 years ago
gokorea
To Ricky-Rocky-Mountain

Do you even know who Yoon is??
Grrr!!!!
Personally I think I did better job than Yoon did!!
By the way, I am glad 'cause your id is what I expected to see!!
Posted by Ricky-Rocky-Mountain 9 years ago
Ricky-Rocky-Mountain
Wow great debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go yoon

-Ricky in debate.
Posted by gokorea 9 years ago
gokorea
I..think I was ignored....Nobody is replying to my comment...
Posted by gokorea 9 years ago
gokorea
You changed your photo!! It's nice, isn't it? I have changed my photo too!! *^^* I am writing an 16-paged essay to get PSP!! OTL I am going to send you an e-mail just in a sec.
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
If anyone wants my e-mail it is in my public profile.
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
Also, Daniel, god you don't believe me. I've always voted for you. (maybe)
Posted by yoon172 9 years ago
yoon172
At least I'm not using "cruel methods of violence" to threaten them to vote for you.
Vote Placed by KoreaRocks 8 years ago
KoreaRocks
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by paulsckwon 8 years ago
paulsckwon
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by JohnnyAppleseed12 9 years ago
JohnnyAppleseed12
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by Ricky-Rocky-Mountain 9 years ago
Ricky-Rocky-Mountain
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by VantagePoint 9 years ago
VantagePoint
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by midason 9 years ago
midason
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by andrew0205 9 years ago
andrew0205
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by or8560 9 years ago
or8560
gokoreayoon172Tied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
gokoreayoon172Tied