Macc1122
Stealthy-Ninja

Could Minecraft be used to Make Projects?

Stealthy-Ninja
Started: 10/22/2015 Category: Games

Macc1122

Pro

I think that the game Minecraft can be used to make projects and trust me when I say it works because I used it last year in my History class in grade 10, every project I made with the use of the game Minecraft I always got like a (4 or -4 and once and a while a +4.) I created some pretty cool thing's when I was making the projects and everyone was impressed. So could Minecraft really be used to make projects in school and get graded on it but you would have to present the project you made so you can get graded. students in grade 8, 9, 10 and possible even grade 11 or 12's could use this to make their projects and it would be easier when they have a choice if they want to either do an Essay or make a project and present it to the class and show them what they have done.;
Stealthy-Ninja

Con

I accept this debate. I assume you mean minecraft *should* be used for projects. If that is the case, I present the following points:

1. Minecraft has little educational value due to it's lack of physics and the only subject that it might be somewhat useful for is art in which one would have one project at most. It cannot be used to teach any other subject.

2. Minecraft costs money and some people may not be able to afford it, giving rich people an unfair advantage.

I look forward to your next argument.
Macc1122

Pro

Well you are right that it has little education value and the students would most likely play around but if it was used for like art project it would look net I give you that. But if you used it in grade 10 - 11 or 12 and had a teacher watching if the student just stopped working and started playing.
But if you have an account for minecraft already and just download it you won't have to pay for it that's what I did I just used my personal account on it and downloaded it and boom I started making my projects. so if you already have an account for it you wouldn't have to pay right Stealthy-Ninja?! I used it in my history class in grade ten and I made quite a few things like a world war 2 battleship that took me one month to build I also made a battle field that had been really in world war 2 I just am forgetting the name because it was last year I made it. Plus if you get it on a school laptop then you can't get mods for it because the school blocks those sites.

I am look forward to your argument even if you are most likely to beat me because this is just for a school thing and I am going to be using this as a debate in my class I hope that this is okay with you Stealthy-Ninja?!?!
Stealthy-Ninja

Con

In Minecraft it can be hard to differentiate working and "playing". How will a teacher know that a student is working on a project or goofing around because you can't tell the difference between someone making a castle for fun or doing a project until the project/castle are done in Minecraft.

Yes, many people do have accounts for Minecraft already but many people also don't have accounts so it would put them in an unfair disadvantage. I suppose the school could pay for it though which would remove this disadvantage.

By little educational value I meant that students don't learn very much from making projects using minecraft. For example if you build a model of a building you learned about in school, by making the same building in minecraft, you learn more about building in minecraft than you do about that building. Sure you can make a WW2 Battleship, but did you spend more time learning about WW2 history, or making the ship on Minecraft?

It's okay with me if you want to share this debate because this is a public site anyways :)
Macc1122

Pro

Ah that is where you are wrong my friend if thy do some research for what they are building and have a picture up beside the minecraft screen then that is how a teacher can tell if they are goofing around but also if you have one student doing that then just sit beside that one student to make sure that they are working on there project. Also if they do some research like I said earlier then they can use the project they made in minecraft but also have a slide show with information on the thing they made. (P.S. Your a teacher aren't you?!)

Well for the WW2 Battle ship I made well that was when we were in the Unit 3 in History which was the world war 2 time period so when we were doing that I was making my project and learning about world war 2 history. You are right about that some people don't have minecraft accounts that is true and that the school could pay for the accounts but where are they going to get the money for that?!

If they did research on the building they built then it would be beneficial because they get to learn and build a project on a game yes and it might have little educational value but how is that going to stop me I have friends that are already doing it I think and I didn't encourage them either they are doing it on there own. so what's going to stop students from doing what I did. students like me could already be doing it as we are debating this right now!!!
Stealthy-Ninja

Con

Yes, research is a part of making the project. And admittedly you do have to do a certain amount of research in order to make an accurate project. However, if the project is done in Minecraft, more time is likely to be spent on making the project in minecraft than it is used to do research and learning about what you are making. Making things in minecraft can take a really long time (in your experience a month) and in that time your knowledge of the subject did not expand through minecraft.

In minecraft it can be very difficult to tell if someone is just playing around or working on a project until they are done it will be extremely difficult for a single teacher to monitor what about 25 students are doing at one time.

Yes, nothing is stopping people from using Minecraft to make projects already . However, it does not mean that making the projects through minecraft should be encouraged. Reasons being that there are far more alternatives that are less expensive, less time consuming and are made for educational use. For example, Google Sketchup is already implemented in schools. Minecraft is a video game and is not made for making projects (you don't see major companies use minecraft to make models) and time spent gaining skill in creating things with minecraft could be used in developing skills in programs and softwares that are more efficient than minecraft and are actually used in jobs.

No, I'm not a teacher, just a university student hoping to practice my debating skills :)
Macc1122

Pro

(I have over a month of experience doing the Minecraft projects) If a student asks to build or make his/ her project on Minecraft and there are a few other students that want to do that then the teacher could put them at one table and sit behind them in order to see if they are doing there project or are online.

You are right about the fact that I didn't get my knowledge of the subject expand through Minecraft but I just used the program so I could have a hand made display of the object and subject that I chose to do but most of the time I would be working on getting information for my slide show and everyone was very intrigued about my project I know one other person in my class then decided to do what I did for making a project.

You are right about the fact that it shouldn't be encouraged but what is there to stop the students from doing it any way. Ah but someone could get mods for Minecraft and then construction company's could use that game yes it would take time and stuff but at least they will have the design down and then all they have to do then is calculate how much money it will cost for the equipment and materials to build it all. (Sorry I got off topic.) At least it won't cost so much to get the programs and software's but minecraft isn't that expensive like those programs are and the mobs cost nothing to get. But if a student want to get a job as landscaping, construction designer and stuff like that, which would be good to help with that because it gets the design down and all that's left is the coat of material and that they would write down and hand it all into the teacher with an explanation on how its going to cost that much.
Stealthy-Ninja

Con

Stealthy-Ninja forfeited this round.
Macc1122

Pro

Lets call it a TIE man its pretty much even now okay man.
Stealthy-Ninja

Con

Up to any voters but ok. Nice debating with you.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Macc1122Stealthy-NinjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
Macc1122Stealthy-NinjaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited round 4. Forfeits are rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting - for this reason, Pro wins conduct. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. While both sides presented fine arguments - Pro dropped several arguments raised by Con, which is unacceptable since Pro has the Burden of Proof here. This is evidenced when Pro drops Con's price-argument from round 2. In addition to this, Pro drops many of Con's arguments by essentially agreeing with them. This is evidenced with the line of argumentation regarding research and actual knowledge gained from minecraft, which Pro admits isn't very much in round 4. Due to the clear failure of Pro in upholding his BOP, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.