Could a zombie invasion Happen

I think it could happen. I have enough evidence to say it can

Hello. This is my first debate, so I would like to thank Pro for the opportunity.
As Pro has not done so, I will define the terms of the debate:

Zombie: A reanimated corpse.
Invasion: A zombie "apocalypse" in which a significant amount of the earths population has been turned into a zombie.
Could: Is likely to

Arg 1.
We don't currently know of any means to reanimate a corpse.
No virus or pathogen known to mankind can fully take control of a dead body. Furthermore, it is not likely that a new type of virus that does things that we previously thought impossible will suddenly appear. Basically, we have no reason to think that corpses will suddenly be able to reanimate, so it is not likely to happen.

Arg. 2
Decomposition will quickly destroy any zombie.
Immediately after death after death, the corpse will enter rigor mortis, making it impossible for the zombie to move or infect people.
Even if rigor mortis doesn't completely disable a zombie, decomposition will soon happen. Bacteria and maggots will quickly consume the flesh of the zombie. By a month after after death (or much sooner, especially in heat) the brain will completely liquefy, killing the zombie.

Arg. 3
Reanimated corpses are impossible.
The body is a very complex machine. Every thing we do relies on precise and persistent performance of our organs, tissues, and cells. After death our body... dies. The circulatory system will stop working, and all of the cells in our body will die from a lack of oxygen. Every cell will eventually die up as the water in our body evaporates. The muscular system will fail, rendering the zombie unable to move.

Arg. 4
We are well prepared for a zombie apocalypse.
Zombies are a large part of our culture. We read zombie books, watch zombie movies, and play zombie games. All of us knows what a zombie is, and how to stop it, as we are all experts in zombie fighting, due to the prevalence of zombies in our culture.

Arg. 5
We have ALOT of guns.
There are 310 million guns available to civilians in america, a country with a population of about 318 million. That is almost 1 gun per person. We have more then enough fire power to defend ourselves against zombies.

Very good points you have there.

Ag. 1
Research has show that there are brain parasites that shut down your brain, but controls your body and you have no control.
When you are in this state, you feel no pain, have no memory of what you did during this state, basically turning you into a mindless freak (this could be taken as a zombie)

Ag. 2
Even if the govement is ready for an attack, basic family homes couldn't handle a forced attack like this. If 25 so called zombies were at your door and you had 1 assult rifle, you would be over run in seconds. You would just be added to the body count of a world massacre.

Ag. 3
There are more than seven billon people in this world. If 4 billon of the population is turned, what is a basic gun going to do? You would run out of ammo very quick. Yes you could make your own ammo. But that takes time.

In conclusion, I think it could happen, and the world would be very stuffed. It would be the Black Death all over again.

I would like to thank pro for their fascinating response. This looks to be a fun debate

I am not sure if Pros arguments (or should I say "Ags") are rebuttals to my arguments, or new arguments. It should be noted that if it is the former, 2 of my arguments have been left standing, and if the latter, all of my arguments have been left standing. Either way, my points on decomposition and the impossibility of zombies (my original 2nd and 3rd arguments) were completely not addressed. These arguments show that Zombies are not only impossible, but would quickly succumb to the elements. Since they haven't been disproved, they completely invalidate all of Con's arguments, as all of Con's arguments rely on the assumption that zombies are impossible.

I will now respond to Con's arguments in the order that they were posted, and under the heading that they were posted.

"Ag. 1"
This is a very valid point, but go against the parameters of the debate.
There are indeed several parasites that do things similar to a "zombie virus". However, there is one key difference- the parasite keeps their hosts alive. For example, Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, a fungus that takes control of an carpenter ant's brains and makes them crawl to the forest floor, only controls the ant while it's still alive. When the ant dies, the fungus no longer controls it. This is relevant because "Zombie" was defined in this debate as a reanimated corpse, NOT something alive who's brain is being controlled.
To summarize, there are things in nature that can take control of other living organisms, but nothing that can posses and control a dead body.

"Ag. 2"
With the prevalence of guns in america (see source from round 1) and with the skill and the sophistication of the U.S army, the outbreak would never reach a point in which there are many zombies surrounding a house. Even if a small town were taken over by zombies, the government could easily quarantine the town. We are constantly in fear of, and preparing for, contagious diseases like Ebola, so the government is prepared to easily and systematically set up quarantine zones.

"Ag. 3"
Because of the other arguments I've stated, we would never reach a point in which 4 billion people are infected. We would be able to stop and cure the zombie virus like we do to any other disease. Additionally, I have already shown how a zombie is impossible, we are prepared, and decay and decomposition would quickly take care of any zombies.

I would now like to bring a new argument to the table

Arg. 6
Predators would quickly devour zombies.
Many animals rely on scavenging corpses for food. Zombies are simply walking food. In the country, vultures, coyotes and wolves would quickly devour zombies. In the city, rats and crows would pick at zombies. Since zombies are dim-witted and have a slow reaction time, most animals would just see them as a an easy meal.

Source (which lays out this argument in detail):

Curly_fr1es forfeited this round.

I extend my arguments.

Vote con!!!
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
Vote Con!
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
Vote Con!
Posted by Blazzered 1 year ago
@kman100 it depends on how quickly the virus spread, how long it took before taking affect of its host, and how lethal it was. It's possible an outbreak could happen, but in sure we'd have a hard time quarantining it since quarantining isn't like how it is in the movies aha.

@Curly_fr1es the US government does have a plan in case of a zombie apocalypse aha. The world would probably do the same as we did with Ebola. Quarantine and search for an immediate cure.
Posted by Curly_fr1es 1 year ago
I have to agree with you there. It would really depend on how the world reacts to it.
Posted by kman100 1 year ago
Yes, I would have to agree with you. I don't think a rage virus would cause an apocalypse though.
Posted by Blazzered 1 year ago
Zombies you see in Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, etc. are not possible.
Infected however, such as those from Quarantine, Quarantine 2, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, etc. are possible. For those who are infected are still alive but they're infected with some rage virus or rabies that causes them to have very aggressive behavior and aim to kill anyone who doesn't have the virus. They don't try to spread the virus though which is odd.