BGates
VeritasHarard

Could the United States school system be socialized--like Obama is doing with healthcare?

BGates

Pro

I believe that if the school system was socialized (As in the annual fund for education from each county of every state, in the United States, would be pooled together and then equally redistributed amongst every school in the U.S. based on population of the school.) it would ELIMINATE the socio-economic gap amongst students in our schools today. Yes, we can't control what goes on outside of the walls of our schools, but if we can give every student and equal opportunity across the U.S., then it would not matter where you live or how much money someone makes to be able to get the best education. Now, I have not worked out numbers, but just working this on a state level--I used Virginia--it could definitely be done, but schools like FairFax County, which receives 2.5 billion dollars annually for its 194 schools would suffer but no where near the amount that it would ever make a difference for the faculty or students. Note that FairFax has some of the best schools in the country. FEEDBACK PLEASE!
VeritasHarard

Con

I believe that the the United States school system should not be socialized for a myriad of reasons. For instance, a problem I see occurring is that I believe the schools with the brightest students and best academic scores should be awarded the most money. The schools with the dumbest students and worst academic test score should be awarded the least amount of money. This is because research supports that students from low-income families will make less money, be less educated and score lower IQ scores. Various research also supports that students from middle and high income families will make more money, be more educated, and score marginally higher on IQ tests. I would rather invest my money, from taxes, into students at better schools with gifted programs that will do better in life and be good citizens than a students from horrible school who will do poorly in life and will not be exemplary citizens. If you give $ to students from poorer schools, they will NOT do better.
BGates

Pro

BGates forfeited this round.
VeritasHarard

Con

VeritasHarard forfeited this round.