Themeaman909
dumbocrat

Could we survive an AI take over?

Themeaman909

Con

What if one day your smart phone told you what to do? Think I'm over thinking it? It already may be! First round is accepting the debate nothing else and have fun!
dumbocrat

Pro

I accept the challenge of this debate.
Themeaman909

Con

What would happen if we became over dependent? First, what is dependency? It is when you rely on something for personal aid, usually in an excessive way. If we where to become over dependent on technology, than would something bad happen to us? Most say certainly not , and that we control technology in all of its ways because we created it. I see people depending on technology to the point of that they would literally die without it! What happens if we let that comfort zone get to comfy? We could be taken over by our own tech! But how? If the technology can't think for itself, then certainly a take over is a 0% chance. But it doesn't have to.

The world depends on electricity to function correctly, and what if it where to disappear on us, almost seemingly by a whim. This can AND HAS HAPPENED before. Its a phenomena known as a solar flare. For a quick definition, a solar flare is when magnetized plasma erupts off of a star (in this case our sun) and will travel very quickly through space. If a strong one hits our planet, its magnetic field will not protect the power grid systems worldwide. It doesn't seem so bad right? It's worse than it sounds in all ways. First goes all the artificial running water, and then all food becomes harder to grow. In an article titled www.http://globalharvestinitiative.org..., the article says about agriculture, "While there is overwhelming evidence that global crop productivity has been growing for the past
four decades, there is anxiety in many quarters about whether it is on pace to meet the demands
for food expected by 2050"as well as whether the modest needs for additional production area
can be met." The article says how we won't even be able to support ourselves 35 years from now with modern technology. If all of it goes away, BILLIONS will inevitably starve. I say that over dependency WILL lead to inevitable termination, unless we keep it at bay.

I will wrap this up saying that if you are one day told by a computer what to do with your life, how to behave, and what you can and cannot do, than it is already too late...
dumbocrat

Pro

AIs could never beat their makers if the makers work together. Unless they could improve on their own without any problems how they learned. If they could improve on their own there would be defects in their improvements. For example a human is the most adaptable creature on Earth but still has some defects in their adapting. If you learn to ride a bike there will be some things that won't work from what you've learn. Such as jumping off your bike and landing safely back on it.
It is impossible to make something that can adapt faster and better than its creator or creators. It would not make sense. Enlighten me if you can. Tell me how. It tookabout 2.8 million years from the start of humanity to discover electricity. Technology may be progressing fast but that's because there are so many humans that can build it. It is almost never thought of that humanity could easily build tecnology against it. The thought that all tecnology would turn against us is silly.
How can you make an earbud for example be able to fight a human?
Themeaman909

Con

I don't think you read my first argument, so I will introduce a reason why they don't have to be smarter than us. Imagine this analogy, the jock kids and the nerdy kids at a school are in a lunch room. We can speculate for this analogy that the nerds are much more intelligent, and their intellect grows at a faster rate than the popular kids. But now think realistically, there are way more jocks than nerds (almost a 1/3 ratio), so they can overpower them. And the AMOUNT, not intelligence, of jocks is slightly increasing every day. Now, if we gave them a bit more of intelligence, and sprinkle in some understanding (they would only need a dab) than we (the nerds) would easily be taken over by the jocks (technology) as long as: The nerds needed them to maintain peace, they are more powerful, and they are growing very slowly in intelligence and size. Now I have addressed my opponents arguments, and shown that a greater intelligence level is not needed for a take over. If you look in some history books and online, you can find examples of intelligent people being taken over by the popularity, and thus WE are the intellects and the technology is the Persian army. The only advantage the Greeks had was determination to fight (which we may or may not have), all enemies banding together (which modern countries couldn't do, and they may use AI as a weapon.), and they didn't depend on any one else besides themselves (because they lived in city states). We couldn't all band together, and we may even use AI as a weapon, but most of all, we DEPEND to much on our tech, and soon our adorable little youtube cats will lash out and kill us in not an epic terminator style war, but a slow starving death by hacking the power grid and destroying it, or any other mean you can think of. My opponent has not made a convincing argument in my opinion, so I hope he puts up a good one next round.
dumbocrat

Pro

The human race is growing way fast than any technology could even if we could perfect the making of AIs. They may not be robots but more a computer program but you could destroy them then even. A computer program doesn't work without a hard drive.
Themeaman909

Con

First, a hard drive is a machine that reads discs, so I don't know what you mean by they don't work without a hard drive. definition, "a disk drive containing a hard disk." (http://dictionary.reference.com...).

Anyways, the point is that they don't have to be robots, and if all electricity was cut off, then countries would have a hard time communicating. And a big point to make, the uprising doesn't have to happen today or tomorrow, it could happen any day. It could happen 20 years in the future, and going back to the lunchroom analogy we can see that the jocks will have increased in size dramatically. Don't believe the analogy? Than think about how much technology has grown from 1990 to the present. Back in the day, internet was a luxury and most people occupied themselves with movies or TV. These where never connected to the early internet, so an internet based AI would have little to no chance of taking over. Now, many things are controlled by computers, including TV, power plants, news sites, and movies. And whats worse is that plenty of those devices are connected to the internet. Like a human, an AI would multiply itself rapidly to prevent destruction, or make a very strong defense system from counter hacking. It would have an extremely powerful hacking system, as hacking is becoming easier, and if the AI could take down communications and electricity world wide, than how could we fight back?

One could say that if the AI turns down the internet, than it will cancel itself because it can't be eliminated or succeed us. Although this is true, if the AI can cause permanent damage in a very quick time (and computers are very fast!), than we will not be able to counter it effectively, and than it will have won its vengeance. Please clarify why you said "hard drive' because I looked it up, and It made no sense.
Good luck.
dumbocrat

Pro

dumbocrat forfeited this round.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Well, he forfeited, so all I can say is to vote for me because he left his argument hanging by a thread.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
The first argument I posted may sound a bit off topic, but this is because I wanted to emphasize how over dependent we are. So don't hate on it because of this, because I am only warming my hands for the big debate to come.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Look out for a technological over-dependency debate I will be posting soon!