whatledge
Erick

Courage the Cowardly Dog is, in fact, Brave

whatledge

Pro

~intro~

I contend that Courage the Cowardly Dog [1] is brave, despite the title of the show labeling him as a cowardly dog. My opponent can feel free to start his argument in round 1. My arguments will start in round 2.

Brave- possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance. [2]

Courage- the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery. [3]

I look forward to a good debate.

http://en.wikipedia.org... [1]
http://dictionary.reference.com... [2]
http://dictionary.reference.com... [3]
Erick

Con

Thank you for making this debate, whatledge; and I will gladly accept it. Good luck.

Now let's start, I totally agree with my opponent's definition of courage and brave although,
Courage the Cowardly Dog is not brave.

My first arguement is that in the actuall show where Courage faces many different situations he experiances fear, as shown with his facial expressions and having courage means you have no fear as shown in your definition ; Brave means to have courage which Courage by my proof doesn't so therefore Pro's side of the debate is false.

My second and last arguement is that without the COMPLETE values of a definition, it is not correct. And because of this, your case should lose.

whatledge

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting the debate.

Courage can mean many things, and though I also appeal to the dictionary's definition, let's take the definition into context and closely analyze what counts as bravery.

~Fear is a Component of Bravery~

Fear is generally taken to be the opposite of bravery, but today I ask the audience to take a minute to think about what bravery truly means. There are very definite lines that separate bravery, recklessness, confidence, and arrogance. Bravery is an act of overcoming your fears and challenging them. Let's take a look at a simple analogy. If a person with Acrophobia (the fear of heights) climbed a tree to overcome his fears, is the person brave or is he a coward? And if a person who has no Acrophobia is leisurely climbing a tree, does this mean that the person is brave? As you can see, fear is what allows there to be Bravery.

~Courage the Dog~

Courage the Cowardly Dog have saved his owner from aliens, ghosts, and crazy individuals numerous times, in fact, he does something of the like, EVERY episode. It is true that Courage has fears, but fear does not negate bravery. As I said above, fighting your fears is what one can view as true bravery. Courage does not run and leave his owners left for dead; instead even though he is scared, he strives to save them. That is bravery.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.
Erick

Con

1- "Fear is a Component of Bravery"

You stated in your definition that Courage means without fear, correct? And does Courage show fear in every episode? Yes, he does. So therefore, courage is not courageous. Brave means to have the act of being courageous so then, courage is not brave. If you say yes to the first two questions, you have by proven that Courage is in fact, not brave; and I await for your yes or no answer towards those questions. We are not trying to prove this over "simple analogy" we are using definitions and by those definitions i say to the audience to pick who has the better arguements.

2- "Courage the Dog"

We are taking this debate over the definitions you gave, not over your personal beleif of the definition. Fear in fact negates the definition of Courage because it says WITHOUT fear and Courage the Dog experiances fear. If you do not agree with your own definitions you are proving you are wrong; if you do agree with your definitions you agree with my arguements because they are all facts that link to your definitions. Tell me do you agree with your definitions or not?
whatledge

Pro

"Fear is a Component of Bravery"

"You stated in your definition that Courage means without fear, correct?"
In certain cases being without fear is indeed courageous, but we have to take things into context. If I type on my keyboard without fear, does that make me courageous or even the act itself courageous? If courage equates to being without fear, then acts of recklessness (Jumping off the building for fun), apathy (Not caring about life or death and committing suicide), ignorance (Unknowingly jumping off the building), and arrogance (Overconfident belief that one can survive falling off the building) must be respectively considered courageous.
"We are not trying to prove this over "simple analogy" we are using definitions and by those definitions i say to the audience to pick who has the better arguements."
And those definitions must be taken into context. I agree that we let the audience decide.

"Courage the Dog"

My opponent continues his arguments with semantics, but I have already explained my points above.
Erick

Con

1- "Fear is a Component of Bravery"

Based on your OWN definitions of things it is taken into context that courageous means without fear so therefore if you say that Courage was courageous after he DID had fear, you are dissaproving your own definitions; even after you just took it into context as i have just explained. My opponent failed to answer the yes or no question considering he went into the topic of "certain cases" when the real question was just if he had stated in his definition of Courage meant being without fear; which should be pointed out because of his not answering what I asked for him to answer which was in a simple yes or no answer and going off into a different topic to make the audience think he has reason, when really he is just beating around the bush.

My whole paragraph above was using into context, and I hope the audience does realize your just beating around the bush and not really answering my questions I have asked.

"Courage the Dog"

My opponent seems to keep wanting to go into context which I will with pleasure do, Courage has fear in EVERY episode which makes him NOT courageous because courages means WITHOUT fear; which means he is NOT brave because he does NOT have courage. Is that simple enough, or do I need to go into "context" with this question too?

My opponent also failed to answer my question that was "Do you agree with your definitions?"
Which is another sign that he is just trying to talk about other things, when really it is pretty simple and obvious that he does not even agree with his own definitions therefore being does not deserve to win this debate. That is why I urge you to vote Con.

Thank You.
whatledge

Pro

"Fear is a Component of Bravery"

I answered that question by saying that in certain cases that is the case. My opponent again, seems to equate courage to being without fear. He has no answers to my analogies. I can give you four other definitions of courage in another dictionary (ironically from the same source):

World English Dictionary
courage (ˈkʌrɪdʒ)

— n
1.the power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain,etc
2.the courage of one's convictions the confidence to act inaccordance with one's beliefs
3.take one's courage in both hands to nerve oneself toperform an action
4.obsolete mind; disposition; spirit

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Courage doesn't necessitate being without fear. Let me make this clear, I do agree with the definition I posed in Round one, because taking the definition into context, we can still see that Courage (dog) exhibits brave characteristics. My opponent equates courage with being without fear, and has yet to address any of my arguments, but instead clings to semantics.

So let me readdress my arguments,

~Fear is a Component of Bravery~

Fear is generally taken to be the opposite of bravery, but today I ask the audience to take a minute to think about what bravery truly means. There are very definite lines that separate bravery, recklessness, confidence, and arrogance. Bravery is an act of overcoming your fears and challenging them. Let's take a look at a simple analogy.

If a person with Acrophobia (the fear of heights) climbed a tree to overcome his fears, is the person brave or is he a coward? And if a person who has no Acrophobia is leisurely climbing a tree, does this mean that the person is brave?
As you can see, fear is what allows there to be Bravery.

If courage equates to being without fear, then acts of recklessness (Jumping off the building for fun), apathy (Not caring about life or death and committing suicide), ignorance (Unknowingly jumping off the building), and arrogance (Overconfident belief that one can survive falling off the building) must be respectively considered courageous. It seems as if my opponent is attempting courage synonymous to recklessness, apathy, ignorance, and arrogance.

I've given enough evidence to support the resolution. I thank both the audience and my opponent and leave the rest to the voters.
Erick

Con

"Fear is a Component of Bravery"

"My opponent again, seems to equate courage being without fear".
My opponent has just shown by this quote that he does not agree with his own definitions, he is saying that courage does NOT equate without fear; even though he clearly states in his definitions that Courage (Act) means without fear.

"He has now answers to my analogies"
Why should I answer any of your questions when you didn't answer any of mine? If you would of answered mine in the second round I would of had MORE than enough time to answer yours. I am not going to waste my time answering your questions when you don't even answer mine, like your supposed to.

You have NOT given enough evidence to support your resolution considering the fact that you can't even agree that you completelly have no doubts about your definitions and cannot prove that being brave does not mean without fear, which it does; considering I explained it in about two of the rounds and you still seemed to ignore my questions and start talking about another topic. I in the other hand, have proved that Courage means without fear as it is stated in your OWN definitions and since Courage (Dog) DOES have fear Courage (Dog) is NOT courageous therefore being, that being brave means to have the act of courage which comes to the conclusion that Courage (Dog) is in fact is NOT brave.

My opponent failed at attempting to prove his resolution and didn't even try to show how my resolution is wrong.

This is why I urge you to vote Con, Thank You.
Posted by Rome 6 years ago
Rome
I would originally vote for Pro, but Erick you changed my mind. I agree with your case. You are really good. x]
Posted by Erick 6 years ago
Erick
Are you guys seriously going to vote for him even after I proved his whole case wrong? Lmao. Woooow.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Pro screwed himself over in this debate...
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
However I always agreed with pro tho. I also always heard that it takes fear to be brave/couragous, and without it all you have is stupidity.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
"Courage- the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery. [3]"

WITHOUT FEAR, lol just saying that leaves a door wide open.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
i've always thought this
Vote Placed by Erick 6 years ago
Erick
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by WhoDaFoo4 6 years ago
WhoDaFoo4
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by devinni01841 6 years ago
devinni01841
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 6 years ago
XStrikeX
whatledgeErickTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 6 years ago
SuperRobotWars
whatledgeErickTied