PartTimeHipster
aburk903

Covers of songs are better than the originals.

Started: 6/3/2014 Category: Music

PartTimeHipster

Pro

*First round is for "I accept your challenge, good sir or madam!" or whatever you want to say*

You are allowed to use examples if you want.

You can start first in round 1 or if you would like me to start, you can wait until round 2.

Good luck!
aburk903

Con

Thanks for the topic, Pro. I will point out that I accepted the debate under the scale that my opponent indicated in the comments: "I'm saying that if there is a new song, whether it's good or bad, the covers are infinitely better all the time." I look forward to hearing your arguments in the next round.
PartTimeHipster

Pro

Popular musicians are collapsing in terms of creativity and begin to slowly resort to using dubstep sounds, writing lyrics about sex and drugs, using the chorus five times to fit three minutes, and in some cases, autotuning their voices.

The public who listen to music could think, "This is a terrible/great song. If I could make my own rendition of it before it blows up, that'd be awesome". The creativity of that person goes through the roof with ideas.

I believe covers are better no matter how good the original is.
For my first example, an Australian guitarist and vocalist named Steve Welsh uploaded a ska cover of Dean Martin's "Everybody Loves Somebody" which was a hit from the 50's. Have a listen to Steves cover:

https://soundcloud.com...;

This cover got me into ska music. When a song speaks to the brains of aspiring musicians, their cover will speak to the brains of others.

Earlier, Steve (the same guy) has made a cover which came out in an utterly hilarious way. Selena Gomaz's "Come and Get it", also in ska:

https://soundcloud.com...;

I don't see any reason for covers to be seen as 'bad' or 'worse' than the originals. Whether professionally edited or not.
aburk903

Con

My opponent has offered no empirical sources for this debate, so I accept that it is a debate of values and ideas. As such, I ask that voters award source points to neither myself or my opponent.

My opponents first premise is that popular musicians are losing creativity and that their lyrics are becoming less meaningful. However, this only makes a case for why covers are not better than the original. It would be better and more creative, for instance, for a songwriter to construct their own lyrics with meaning. If the source material is not creative with poor lyrical choice, then why would the cover of said song be better? As they say, garbage in, garbage out.

For sake of argumentative clarity, I will now move to my opponents final premise. He states that he doesn't see how covers could be bad or worse than the originals. However, that is not the scale of this debate. As my opponent has already asserted, covers are always better than the original. This implies that not only are they at the same level of quality and professionalism (as content obviously has not changed), but that this duplication of someone else's art is actually better than the source material.

My opponent cites very limited examples of covers that he enjoys more than the original songs. However, all one needs to do is Google or YouTube search "bad song covers" to see that not all covers are of any standard of quality. In fact, since my opponent based this argument on an allness statement, I need only provide one situation in which a cover is not better than the original song for his conclusion to be invalid. https://www.youtube.com...
PartTimeHipster

Pro

PartTimeHipster forfeited this round.
aburk903

Con

Thanks again for the topic, Pro. Best of luck in future debates.
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
PartTimeHipster
Thanks. And even though you did so much better at debating the topic, I will continue to stand by my own opinion. I'm still a big fan of covers. Congratulations on winning.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
You definitely have a potentially good topic, just might've taken it a bit farther than you could prove by saying that they are always better. Word choice is always a killer.
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
PartTimeHipster
Oh, snap. I didn't realise how off-topic and selfish I got. I think I should forfeit to prevent that from happening again. Thank you for partaking in the debate.
Posted by PartTimeHipster 2 years ago
PartTimeHipster
@aburk903, I'm saying that if there is a new song, whether it's good or bad, the covers are infinately better all the time.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
aburk903
Are you arguing that all covers are better than the original songs or that sometimes covers can be better than the originals?