moonshine311111
1337Hal

Creation is true and evolution is false

1337Hal

moonshine311111

Pro

I believe that evolution is a fraud because creationism happened and I'll prove it. First, evolutionists believe that dinasours lived millions of years ago. The bible states that earth is 2000 years old. Scientists have found dinosaur bones with flesh still on them. If dinousaurs lived millions of years ago wouldnt the flesh have rotten away.
Second, scientists used technology to detirmine that the coral reefs in austrailia were 2000 years old not millions.
Third, how is it possible that we were once fish?
1337Hal

Con

I thank my opponent for creating this debate. I would like my opponent to note that I don't have a cell phone and therefore cannot vote, and I ask that my opponent please do the same, in the interest of fairness.

My opponent has accepted an exceptionally large burden in this debate, as the 'and' in the resolution title gives him two claims to prove. My opponent must not only prove that evolution can't have occured and is not currently occuring, and he must prove that 'creation' is true.

As my opponent failed to do so, I will define 'creation' as I believe my opponent meant it. If my definition is incorrect, I ask that my opponent please ammend it in Round 2:

"That God (an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent being who is outside of time and space) willfully created the universe and everything within it, from nothing, approximately 6000 years ago."

This is the general gist of what someone means by "creationism", so I will assume this is my opponent's belief.

I will now rebut my opponent's Round 1 arguments:

PRO:
First, evolutionists believe that dinasours lived millions of years ago. The bible states that earth is 2000 years old. Scientists have found dinosaur bones with flesh still on them. If dinousaurs lived millions of years ago wouldnt the flesh have rotten away."

REBUTTAL:
I must admit, I'd never heard of this interesting discovery and I do thank my opponent for allowing me to find out about it.

It took scientists some time to believe that what Mary Schweitzer and her team had found was not a hoax, but it is now considered fact that collagen was indeed found on a 68-million year old T-Rex bone. Scientists don't currently have a theorized mechanism by which this soft-tissue remained on the bone for all that time, but gaps in knowledge are nothing new for science. While perplexing, the find certainly doesn't negate evolution or an old universe, as there may be a reasonable and perhaps even common mechanism by which the tissue was preserved which has just not been discovered yet. My opponent must show that there is no such possibility of a mechanism in order to even begin negating evolution.

Also, quite needless to say, this does nothing to suggest the universe was created 6,000 years ago by a being who is outside of time and space. Mary Schweitzer, the paleontologist who discovered the bones and describes herself as a "complete and total Christian" [1] has personally condemned creationists' misuse of her discovery to push their own agenda.

PRO:
"Second, scientists used technology to detirmine that the coral reefs in austrailia were 2000 years old not millions."

REBUTTAL:
I'm going to have to ask my opponent for a source for this information, as I can't find anything about it anywhere on the net.

PRO:
"Third, how is it possible that we were once fish?"

REBUTTAL:
This is a question, not an argument. I will assume my opponent meant to say "it is impossible that we were once fish", but this is mere argument from increduilty. I find it quite impossible that if my brother jetted off at a decent fraction of the speed of light, he would return in 50 earth-years and be around 40 years younger than me. My increduilty at the notion of time dilation does nothing to negate its truth-value as determined by science.

Besides, our species was never 'once fish', our species has always been Homo Sapiens. Our species shares common ancestry with (presuming life has only ever begun once on earth) every other species on this planet. How, you ask? Evolution, primarily by the mechanisms of natural selection and genetic drift. [2]
-----------
I will keep this first round brief, having just noticed this is a 5-round debate. I thank my opponent again, and hope this is a well-fought debate.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] - http://en.wikipedia.org...
moonshine311111

Pro

moonshine311111 forfeited this round.
1337Hal

Con

My opponent has forfeited his 2nd round, and I have successfully rebutted all of his arguments thus far.

As this is a 5-round debate, there is still plenty of time for my opponent to make his case. I hope he can return to do so.
moonshine311111

Pro

moonshine311111 forfeited this round.
1337Hal

Con

Another forfeit from my opponent, who is apparently not as avid in his anti-evolution stance as he would like us to believe.

There are still 2 rounds left in this debate, which is plenty for my opponent to make his case. I extend all arguments and hope that my opponent can return for the end of the debate.
moonshine311111

Pro

moonshine311111 forfeited this round.
1337Hal

Con

Another forfeit. Vote CON.
moonshine311111

Pro

moonshine311111 forfeited this round.
1337Hal

Con

1337Hal forfeited this round.
Posted by GodSands 4 years ago
GodSands
"The bible states that earth is 2000 years old." -- 6000 years old.
Posted by moonshine311111 4 years ago
moonshine311111
man i was a hoe back then. go athiest.
Posted by 1337Hal 5 years ago
1337Hal
Thanks dude! I'm certainly no expert on the subject, so hopefully this'll teach me a few things. From what you've said, though, I'm not holding my breath. :D
Posted by TheSkeptic 5 years ago
TheSkeptic
Goodluck Hal. I was going to accept this debate, but after figuring out that I've debated him before (and he was certainly not much of an opponent), this debate can be all but desired for.
Posted by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
Moonshine

Although I agree with you, your arguments are very brief and do not give sufficient evidence.
First- What technology did the scientists use? Radiometric dating? This is the same technology that they use to say that the Earth is billions of years old.
Second- The Bible actually cites the Earth to be around 6000 years, allowing for calendar transitions.
Lastly- OK, so the Ausie Coral Reefs are 2000 years old. Now what?

You posed a very broad question about us evolving from fish. Although I agree with you, this can be attacked very easily. Whoever your opponent is will lay out modern theories of evolution backed by "evidence." You basically asked them what evolution is. As affirmative, this is your job to define key terms. Good luck!
Posted by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
Posted by Epicism 5 years ago
Epicism
Your view of evolution is very basic, and wrong none the less. Evolution in the most basic terms is change over time. No one can deny that change has indeed occurred thus the gist of evolution is true. Please don't make a debate on evolution when the only thing you base it off of is 9th grade Biology classes which evidently you should have failed.. go read a book.
Posted by McBain 5 years ago
McBain
Also, considering this joker's track record of forfeiting ALL but one of his debates, he will likely do the same again. Not to mention that those debates forfeited are about the SAME subject as this debate.

Please, leave debate.org and go back to 2nd grade.
Posted by McBain 5 years ago
McBain
Why bring this crap here? Really, you don't even have any decent arguements.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 5 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
You need to learn science better.
Vote Placed by Lazy 4 years ago
Lazy
moonshine3111111337HalTied