The Instigator
oliviat13096
Con (against)
Tied
0 Points
The Contender
Adut
Pro (for)
Tied
0 Points

Crime and mental health are linked.

Do you like this debate?NoYes+1
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 0 votes the winner is...
It's a Tie!
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 9/13/2018 Category: Society
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 140 times Debate No: 118183
Debate Rounds (2)
Comments (0)
Votes (0)

 

oliviat13096

Con

While it's true that there are criminals who struggle with mental illness, It's wrong to generalised and say that crime and mental illness are linked. A study done by Swanson found the share of overall violence explained by serious mental illness was between 3% and 5. 3%, With a midpoint estimate of about 4%. Therefore, The other overwhelming 96% crimes are non metal health related. Furthermore, This study also found that people with severe mental illnesses are over 10 times more likely to be victims of a violent crime than the general population. People with mental health concerns are more likely to be a victim of violence than a perpetrator. In addition to this, The study didn"t find any predictable patterns linking criminal conduct and mental illness symptoms over time. Two-thirds of the offenders who had committed crimes directly related to their mental illness symptoms also had committed unrelated crimes for other reasons, Such as poverty, Unemployment, Homelessness and substance abuse.
Adut

Pro

I strongly believe that crime is associated with mental illness because children are peer pressured and exposed to a range of social media platforms. Majority of criminals face mental illness and commit crime because of their mental health. Mental illness is sometimes called a "mental disorder this includes bipolar disorder, Drug-induced psychosis, Personality disorder, Depression, Anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. Studies have found that mental health problems are much more common in prisoners than in the general population. As much as 9 out of 10 prisoners report some kind of mental health problem. There are commonly reported symptoms in prisoners of sleep problems and worrying.
Debate Round No. 1
oliviat13096

Con

There is a vast range of mental health issues that can affect a person, In many different ways. One in four people are said to experience mental health problems at some point, But 25% of the population haven"t killed someone or committed a violent crime. Also 15% of the Australian population regularly take drugs, Yet 15% of the population aren"t in prison. Falling back on "crazy" as an excuse for acts of violence isn"t just inaccurate, It is dangerous. It creates a stigma against mental health that is not justified as the vast majority of people with mental illness are not criminal. It is detrimental to the entire mental health community, And it is a copout. Crime isn"t about "crazy people. " at all. Because crazy people don"t commit crimes, Criminals do, And we need start calling a spade a spade. Maybe a violent offender does have mental health issues in their past. But it"s like saying they have brown hair. Or owned a Mazda. Or ate pork. It may be true, But it doesn"t mean it"s a factor, Or directly cause their behaviour. A criminal is a criminal and this is not linked to their mental health.
Adut

Pro

As teens are peer pressured they are exposed to drug use and alcohol use. Violence starts from anger which can lead to drug use, As a form of "curing" however this isn"t a solution. Drug related crime can be violence from an interaction between a mental illness and drug use. Violence is related to stealing, Getting money from drugs and fighting between drug dealers or gangs.
Debate Round No. 2
No comments have been posted on this debate.
No votes have been placed for this debate.