SneakyDinosaur
bjartur

Criminal offenders (or offenders pending trial) should not be granted name suppression

SneakyDinosaur

Pro

Hello challenger. We stand here to debate whether or not "Criminal offenders (or offenders pending trial) should not be granted name suppression." I will discuss
1 Acceptance of terms
2 Pro's case, Con's case
3 Rebuttal
4 Defence of cases and summary

I hope this debate will be a good one
The usual rules-no trolling, kritics or the like, no new information in Round 4
I now await my opponent to answer my challenge
bjartur

Con

I would like to courteously accept your challenge, and to express that I appreciate the opportunity.

I will be arguing that some criminal offenders or offenders pending trial should be granted some aspects of name suppression, i.e. countering 'criminal offenders (or offenders pending trial) should not be granted name suppression).

I would appreciate a definition of name suppression in your own words, as I was unable to find what I considered an authoritative definition online. This should help with overall clarity.

I agree to the format you set out, although I plan to include some rebuttal in my Round 2 argument as is typical for Negative in Round 2 of debate.

I too hope this debate will be a good one! I agree to those rules, of course.

Good luck!
SneakyDinosaur

Pro

SneakyDinosaur forfeited this round.
bjartur

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round, making no case and therefore forfeiting the entire debate by default. Nevertheless, I'll include a brief summary of my argument, although I got no thorough definition of name suppression.

• Many criminal offenders (or offenders pending trial) are non-violent, or committed a crime that does not indicate malicious intent or general harm to society. However, these criminal charges may detrimentally impact their lives while the warning of societ does no public good.

• Therefore, some criminal offenders should not have their names publicly released, particularly pending trial, in cases where releasing their name could cause them unwarranted immediate and meaningful harm.

I need to meet no more of the Burden of the Proof; however, to win, my opponent must conclusively establish that all criminal offenders and suspects pending trial should have their names publicly released in all circumstances. This requires an extraordinary Buden of Proof, and that certainly will not be met by forfeiting.
SneakyDinosaur

Pro

SneakyDinosaur forfeited this round.
bjartur

Con

My opponent has forfeited another round and presumably therefore the debate at large.
SneakyDinosaur

Pro

SneakyDinosaur forfeited this round.
bjartur

Con

bjartur forfeited this round.
Posted by hldemi 1 year ago
hldemi
If someone is pending trial He is a suspect not "offender pending trial". If He is offender then why have trial at all ?
Posted by PolarTee 1 year ago
PolarTee
The thing is when you are pending trial you are still innocent until proven guilty and enough innocent people go to prison as it is, at the hands of people trying to meet targets, Only in murder trials is the necessary expense made to look for the truth (look at the number of convictions overturned) so while I support that proven criminals do not have the right to have their identities suppressed, its a big can of worms as the system is so far from perfect there are other issues that need sorting out first.
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
Is there countries that have name suppression and if so, can you tell me the name of one?