nlee2020
Bjarke_Havardr

Criminal or Civil Trial? Which one is better?

nlee2020

Pro

Which one is better civil or criminal trial? Which one does most people prefer? and why? details please.
Bjarke_Havardr

Con

This isn't really a debate, and should be posted on the polls section. But hey, why not, I'll bite.

The question "Which one is better?" really doesn't make sense, because they are two different sides of the same coin; law. Any one on its own would be worse than useless.
A criminal trial is brought upon by the federal government or the state, intending to punish for a criminal act.
A civil trial is when a person or private business looks to the court to assist them in righting a perceived wrong, usually things like lawsuits.
I am going to try and re-word your question in a few ways, and maybe we can get something started.

Let's assume you mean if we could only have one type of trial, which would it be.
Personally, I think civil cases would be best. If I were to steal from you, and then return it, we could escape confrontation. If there was only criminal cases, then if you reported me to the police before I could return the object, it would be out of your hands. The state would do to me whatever it thought best, usually not good for the criminals.

If I had to choose one that keeps the law best, I would say criminal trials. A civil trial is very guided by the accuser, and usually more of an equal footing with a higher chance of settling out of court. If criminal trials were the only ones practiced, no one would get off easy. Mandatory sentences would deter people from committing crimes.

That's all I can really think of with the question you posed. Again, I would suggest ending this debate as a tie and moving the question to the polls section, if you are looking for a good sample size.
nlee2020

Pro

nlee2020 forfeited this round.
nlee2020

Pro

nlee2020 forfeited this round.
Bjarke_Havardr

Con

Bjarke_Havardr forfeited this round.