Cristiano Ronaldo is a better soccer player than Lionel Messi

Started: 4/26/2012 Category: Sports

This is an argument that is always talked about, the Ronaldo vs Messi battle. Now it just so happens that they each play on each others rival team. Ronaldo on Real Madrid and Messi on Barcelona. The question comes down to who is the best? People say its Messi other say its Ronaldo but I will settle this question right now. Ronaldo is overall the better soccer player. He has the skills that can make him do great things for any team he plays for.

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro was born on February 5, 1985 in Madeira, Portugal, a small island off the western coast of the country. It was through his dad's work as an equipment manager at a boy's club that Ronaldo was first introduced to the game of soccer. By the time he was 10, he was already recognized as a phenomenon - a kid who ate, slept, and drank the game. "All he wanted to do as a boy was play football," his godfather, Fernao Sousa, recalled for British reporters. "He loved the game so much he'd miss meals or escape out of his bedroom window with a ball when he was supposed to be doing his homework."

By his early teens, Ronaldo's talent and legend had grown considerably. After a stint with Nacional da liha da Madeira, he signed with Sporting Portugal in 2001. That same year, at the age of 16, Ronaldo had an incredible performance against Manchester United, wowing even his opponents with his footwork and skill. He made such an impression that a number of United players asked their manager to try and sign the young player. It wasn't long before the club paid Ronaldo's team more than �12 million for his services - a record fee for a player of his age.

Ronaldo, however, did not disappoint. He showed his promise early on in the 2004 FA Cup final, scoring the team's first three goals and helping them capture the championship. In 2008, a year after signing a five-year, �31 million contract, Ronaldo again justified the high tab when he put together one of the club's finest seasons in history, setting a franchise record for 42 goals scored, and earning himself the FIFA World of the Year honor. In all, Ronaldo helped steer Manchester United to three Premier league titles.

As good as Ronaldo was on the field for United, his commitment to the club came under constant question. Speculation swirled that he wanted to play elsewhere. So in 2009, when Real Madrid agreed to pay United a record $131 million for the chance to sign him, nobody was surprised to see Ronaldo leave the club. In addition to his FIFA World Player of the year award, Ronaldo has also won the coveted Ballon d'OR, the Golden Boot, and been named the UEFA Club Forward of the Year, among other honors during the course of his career.

Ronaldo came out at 16 impressing and turning heads in the world of soccer. Now for Real Madrid he led them to a victory over Barcelona the other night, putting up a goal for them. It is shown that no matter where you put Ronaldo he will do great things for that team, unlike Messi.

In 2005, Lionel Messi Argentina to the title in the under-20 World Cup, scoring on a pair of penalty kicks to propel the team over Nigeria. In recent years, Messi has become one of the game's highest paid players, earning an estimated $18 million a year. In 2009, he steered Barcelona to Champions League, La Liga and Spanish Club titles and took home the FIFA World Player of the Year award.

Born Luis Lionel Andres Messi on June 24, 1987, in Rosario, Argentina. Messi, who stands just 5-foot 7-inches, got his start in the game at the age of 8, when he started playing for the Newell's Old Boys, a team in Rosario. Recognizably smaller than most of the boys he played with, Messi was eventually diagnosed by doctors as suffering from a hormone deficiency that restricted his growth.

Medication wasn't cheap: about 500 a month, and Messi's parents couldn't afford to pay for it on their own. So, at the age of 13, when Messi was offered a chance to play for Barcelona with the opportunity to have his medical bills covered by the team, Messi's family picked up and moved across the Atlantic to make a new home in Spain. Short and fast with a fierce style of play, Messi soon drew comparisons to another famous Argentinean footballer: Diego Maradona.

Messi moved quickly through the ranks of the team's junior system, and by the age of 16 Messi had made his first appearance for Barcelona. He put himself in the record books on May 1, 2005, as the youngest player to ever score a goal for the franchise. That same year he led Argentina to the title in the under-20 World Cup, scoring on a pair of penalty kicks to propel the team over Nigeria. In recent years Messi has become one of the game's highest paid players, earning an estimated $18 million a year. He's justified the price-tag by steering Barcelona to a wealth of success, most notably in 2009 when the left-footer's team captured the Champions League, La Liga, and Spanish Club titles. That same year, after two consecutive runner-up finishes, he took home the FIFA World Player of the Year award.

Even the great Maradona has gushed about his fellow countryman. "I see him as very similar to me," the retired player told the BBC. "He's a leader and is offering lessons in beautiful football. He has something different to any other player in the world." Off the field Messi, who got his EU citizenship in 2009, has tried to make a name for himself. In early 2010, he was named a Goodwill Ambassador by UNICEF with a focus on fighting for children's rights across the globe.

To show Ronaldo is useless:

Also, if my argument looks plagiarised: it is.

My opponent's entire argument was copied and pasted from the same site.

jmlima08 forfeited this round.

Why Ronaldo is a bad player:

1) He cheats (see first video)

2) He dives(see second video)

My opponent, in a similar fashion, has only posted an argument that is c/p from the following source:

For this reason, I urge a vote CON.

Whether Ronaldo dives or not it doesnt have to do with whos a better soccer player. Those were just some fun facts that I forgot to cite but thank you for bringing that up. Glad to know we have the same interest in websites. I wont get as technical as you and post videos, instead I'll just let you look it up instead. There have been some claims were Messi has tried to score with his hand aka "Hand of God". Now Ronaldo may dive, but in the world of soccer today who doesnt dive? It is sad to say but almost every player dives whether its to get a foul close to goal or even a oenalty kick. It's sad but soccer has become so competitive that players will do anything for their team to score and win.

Trying to score with your hand seems to be pushing it a little to much. Yes, at times Ronaldo may be a little too sensitive, but he is still a phenomenal player. What makes him the best is that he can play on any team. Messi on the other hand is great with Barcelona and gives them results, but what has he done for Argentina. Although U-20 is good, when it comes to the World Cup its the top players that play for their country. With the players Argentina has im surprised they cant put up results. Ronaldo on the other hand gives results for Portugal which in my opinion not as strong of a squad as Argentina. In Manchester United he gave them results and from what I recall beat Barcelona I think in the 2009 or 2010 UEFA Champions League torunament. If im not mistaken Ronaldo actually scored the goal that beat Barcelona.

On Real Madrid it was a rocky start for the team with all these new players but this year again Ronaldo gave Barcelona and the Spanish League some competition. He is up there right now with Messi for most goals in the league. I bet you no matter what team Ronaldo is on he can give them results. Messi need those specific players on Barcelona like Iniesta, Xavi etc to feed him those amazing passes and leave him one on one with the goalie. Of course there are times where Messi does it himself but Ronaldo has him beat still. He has the speed, ability to score headers, free-kicks, and the footwork. Out of those things Messi has the speed, definatley has the footwork. Somehow free-kicks and headers arent really his strengths. He is too small to beat defenders in the air, and doesnt have the skill that Ronaldo has to score off set-pieces.

As a soccer fan I dont need the internet or videos to make my point. Do I know Ronaldos full anme and where he came from and all that? No, but all of this you wont find word for word off a website. I dont need videos or anything to make my argument. This is 100% raw and thats why people should vote for PRO. The Con argument just showed tow videos saying Ronaldo cheats. This isnt who is a bigger cheater? This is who is a better soccer player. Of course cheating is not being a good soccer player but there are more things than cheating that qualify into what makes a good soccer player. Messi cheats as well.

To respond to my opponent's point quickly:

My opponent states that Messi has scored a "Hand of God" (against Espanyol, if I am correct), and this therefore is worse than the dozens of times that Christiano Ronaldo done it. As evident from my first video from the previous round, Christiano Ronaldo does not care that he cheats, and outright promotes it, (as evident from the wink to the camera) and gets involved repeatedly and unnecessarily in "fouls" to stir trouble, and go against the spirit of the game. Messi's single handball was criticised horribly around the world, but the following things need to be said:
  1. Messi was very young at the time
  2. Messi had never done it since.

With this in mind, we can see that Messi learnt from his mistake, and stopped cheating. Evidently, this is when he became to become such a great player: when he stopped cheating.

Also, I'd like to point out the irony of my opponent insinuating that Manchester United are "underdogs" whilst Barcelona are not. Manchester United (except this season) are well known as being the champions of the British league, and are unchallenged on this fact. Similarly for Real Madrid, they were seen as the most likely winners, and in Spain are seen as the "champions".

Conversely, Barcelona in spain are seen as the "close second" to Real Madrid.

Also, I'd like to point out that recently, Messi "won both the Ballon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year in 2009, and won the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or in 2010 and 2011 ... the 2010–11 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award and many other awards. Ronaldo just cheats.

Just so my opponent doesnt feel left out about being the only one putting up videos. Obviously Messi likes to cause problems as well, which happens in soccer. That being said it doesnt really have anything to do with who is the better soccer player. Now a days almost every player cheats, dives, fouls etc. Thats why soccer is such a competitive sport, players take it real seriously and do those things. Unfortunatly you are wrong in thinking that Barcelona or seen as "close second". In Spain they are the best, seeing that they have won more titles and cups recently than Real Madrid. This year Madrid finally came on top and that was because of Ronaldo. The point that you seem to keep avoiding is how Messi can only make things happen on Barecelona. Take him aways and put him on another team and I'm pretty sure he wont give as many results as he does now. Ronaldo on the other hand can probably play on any team and still give results. That my friend is what I call a true soccer player, as a coach would you want a player that can play on any team and give you results? Or a player that can only give you results if he has certain players with him for example Xavi, Fabregas, Iniesta.

Cristiano Ronaldo awards and achievements in football.
Bravo Award: 2004
UEFA Euro 2004: Team of the Tournament
FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year: 2004-05, 2005-06
Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 2006-07
UEFA Team of the Year: 2003-2004, 2006-07
FIFPro World XI: 2006-07
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2006-07
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
PFA Premier League Team of the Year: 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08
FWA Footballer of the Year: 2006-07, 2007-08
Barclays Player of the Season: 2006-07, 2007-08
Barclays Player of the Month: November-December 2006, January 2008, March 2008
Barclays Golden Boot: 2007-08
Barclays Merit Award: 2007-08
European Golden Shoe: 2007-08
UEFA Club Forward of the Year: 2007-08
UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2007-08

And so there is no contreversy that is the website where I got those awards that Ronaldo has one in his career.

1st tackle: (spoiler) Start with the most incriminating evidence: not the best of ideas. The tackle was poor, and in the penalty area. When Messi was young. Which, again, is something I admitted: Messi was worse than Ronaldo, say, 5 years ago.

2nd fall: When one player headbutts another, it's a foul. When it's slowed down massively to make it look incriminating, you're clutching at straws.

3rd tackle: The four replays usefully show how the tackle was bad, and from moving out of a stepover, balance is already poor (something Christiano Ronaldo knows a lot about). He was tackled badly, and fell from a bad tackle. I can post other people getting tackled if you want?

4th... something: I love this one. He spits on the ground, which is common. Therefore, he's worse than Ronaldo. Awesome.

5th run: Messi runs in, messi goes into Raldes. Raldes gets pissed off and gets unreasonably close to Messi. Messi backs off, although almost doing something he'd regret. Being a decent bloke, he doesn't do anything more, and gets over it. I can't help but think Ronaldo bursts onto the scene 5 seconds later and starts shouting for a red (see England Match video).

6th Header: I don't even understand the problem with this. A header that went awry. The injury was either bad luck, or excessive by the Inter Player.

7th Kick: I don't know what Messi was trying to do for certain, but I'd probably say he was trying to stop the ball o.e. But even if it was malicious to some extent (which the evidence would not support), Pepe was being over the top about what just happened. Oh, and then an incriminating still which could have been taken at any moment in time, without any context whatsoever.

Then there's just a load of out of context moments.

But don't take my opinion. Hear it from the crowd (in this case, the video comments):

"You saw him dive twice! 4 min video and only 2 dives? The rest are just moment of heat in the game, every single player has them..."

"For all the times he's fouled and doesn't get a call you would have hours of footage. Ronaldo dives this many times in one game." (emphasis added)

"hahaha pathetic attempt to make messi look bad"

Those were the top comments. No other video on the side are incriminating to Messi: most of them promote him. One of them was this (vid). Conversely, Ronaldo masses of videos highlighting his cheating nature.

So, we've learnt that Messi does not dive, and is overall a more moral player than Ronaldo. We've learnt that Messi is also the people's favourite.

Also, Messi is Ronaldo's favourite. ""He [Messi] is now the best," said Ronaldo bluntly, according to Sport."[1]

Regarding the awards, notice how they end at 2008. Messi's awards ( are mostly 2010/2011. In short, Messi is, as of this date, the better player. Motion Affirmed.

Im sorry for possibly blinding you but you keep making the same point over and over. It is actually funny because I am here making all these points that also are critical in determining who is a better overall player. Yet you keep saying Ronaldo cheats and thats why Messi is better. In that video compilation it was also recent videos as well, so the whole "he was young" thing doesnt really work with this one. Ronaldo can do so many things that Messi can do but also so many things that Messi cant do. A key player is someone that can make things happen and score goals in free-kicks, penalties, headers, shots (both feet) and 1 vs 1. I have seen Ronaldo blast a shot and score with his weaker foot. Of course Messi can score with his weaker foot but most of them are close range finesse shots. Just lightly placing the shot in the goal is not as good a ripping a shot from 25-35 yards out with your weaker foot. Out of 10 free-kicks Messi will probably socre 2-3, but Ronaldo will score a good 7-8.

I feel like you are just trying to win an argument that you dont really know anything about. You keep giving me videos and website links. Things I already know, but you dont seem to make any detailed explanations about how Messi is better. You dont talk tactics or skills, all you talk about is cheating diving etc. Of course that would have been a good topic maybe in one or two of the rounds, but EVERY SINGLE ONE? Come on, I am starting to feel like you are running out of things to talk about. I want details, I want to know how Messi is the best player even though out of Barcelona he doesnt seem like the best, he doesnt play like the best. Ronaldo plays like the best on every team he is on. Why? Simply because he is the best. MOTION AFFIRMED!

OK, I'll go over the points quickly, as there's not much to say:

My opponent's only rebuttal to the fact that Ronaldo cheats is that "Messi does it too", and does not dispute the fact that Ronaldo does it many times more. He also does not dispute the fact that the fans like Messi many times more than Ronaldo.

My opponent, further, has not substantiated anything he has said.

"A key player is someone that can make things happen and score goals in free-kicks, penalties, headers, shots (both feet) and 1 vs 1. I have seen Ronaldo blast a shot and score with his weaker foot. Of course Messi can score with his weaker foot but most of them are close range finesse shots. Just lightly placing the shot in the goal is not as good a ripping a shot from 25-35 yards out with your weaker foot. Out of 10 free-kicks Messi will probably socre 2-3, but Ronaldo will score a good 7-8."

The following has no citation, no justification, but simply is stating this as fact. Unfortunately, it is nto true. Ronaldo vs Messi - Stats table I
Season: 2011-2012
Cristiano Ronaldo
Lionel Messi
La Liga matches so far
Games played
Minutes played
Shots on Target

As the table shows (sourced above) Messi, with less time on the ball, has had more shots on target, more assists, and 400 more passes than Ronaldo, at the cost of a single goal. Bearing in mind that Ronaldo had ten penalties that seasn (, it is unreasonable to hope Messi scores more. In fact, it's testament to his skill.

My opponent, in the end, resorts to simply attacking me by saying " I am starting to feel like you are running out of things to talk about." The fact of the matter is, if a player cheats to win games, then he is automatically a terrible player. If Messi did steroids, then he would be one of the worst players imaginable. The best players are role models. What is Messi a role model for? He provides a figure of kindness, and a man who overcame adversity from illness and plays like a professional. Ronaldo plays like a spoilt kid who wants to win, no matter the cost. Who is the better player? Who is the better man? Lionel Messi. Motion denied.
Posted by Aeroeagle 2 years ago
They are both great players, BUT MESSI IS DA BEST
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Which is where we disagree.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago

In a fairly insignificant way.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Yes, which makes him a worse footballer.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
Being a role model is much much less important than skills. I think Messi easily wins both categories though. Luis Suarez for example, time and again keeps Liverpool alive, but he's just about the worst role model on the team.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Bah: character in a sport where you're a role model is most important. Football players are role models. Ergo, the best role model wins, was my general argument.

Bah should really be a "eh" though tbh.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
Not sure why both sides first round was filled with a bunch of irrelevant stuff that was kind of a waist for the readers time.

By round 3 pro was easily winning. Half way into the last round it was a tie. Con nudged it in his favor with his round 5 post.

Seems like one of the biggest issues came to being on the players character, which was unfortunate for pro since messi is one of the most down to earth guys out their, especially considering his success, and Ronaldo is simply just full of it. Also it is completely untrue when pro says that now days every player cheats and dives. Maybe he's watching too much La Liga or something, because I do know that the premier league is full of players who behave quite well on the pitch.

That's not a great point though and con was the main one arguing, but as for stats go, cons last round won that. Pro did raise a good point about Messi not performing well with Argentina, but passing and shots wins the day in the end.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
2 seconds to go... I am just that good.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
P.S My favourite dive:
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
There's a fairly large number of his Real Madrid dives in the video this round.

And being a cocky twat is an argument: the cocky twatty footballer embodies the problem of football.
Vote Placed by phantom 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: comment 14