Cultural Appropriation

Full Resolution: Cultural Appropriation does more good than harm.

From Wikipedia: Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture. Cultural appropriation is seen by some as controversial, notably when elements of a minority culture are used by members of the cultural majority; this is seen as wrongfully oppressing the minority culture or stripping it of its group identity.

I'll begin my arguments in Round 2. Thanks.

Cultural appropriation does not oppress people. People should be free to wear what they like, say what they like, and be how they like. You can't oppress someone by wearing a headdress or a sombrero. People borrow elements of another culture all the time. Americans in Mexico aren't oppressed because Mexicans wear jeans or t shirts.

My opponent has argued the wrong side of this debate.

I am arguing that cultural appropriation is acceptable and does more good than harm (PRO).

Con is supposed to argue that it's problematic as per the resolution. I will offer some arguments in this round and my opponent must negate. I'll keep it relatively simple, since I will probably have to re-post this debate and start over.

History is all about the exchange of culture. Humans are social animals and culture is a social concept. Cultural progress is made when information and ideas are exchanged that bring utility and/or value to another group or person. If people are exposed to new insight - especially if they appreciate it and use it to their benefit - then this exchange is good.

Different types of food, religion, fashion and ideas have been shared among cultures throughout history, both intentionally and not intentionally (through assimilation or adaptation). In addition to learning new things, some cultures including the "dominant" culture exhibit an element of acceptance by embracing other people and ideas. This promotes understanding and tolerance, which inhibits racism, xenophobia and other prejudice that harms people and groups.

We need to embrace the times when multiple cultures adopt styles and customs. These are bonding actions and reinforce the socializing behaviors of different cultures. Isolating yourself from other groups is problematic and insulates people against useful insight that could improve the quality of their lives.

DoctorR forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited the debate.

In conclusion, "Cultures are not intrinsically valuable, nor should they be preserved by virtue of their uniqueness. Cultures emerge from different groups of people trying to best navigate the world" [1]. When people borrow and share from other cultures, prejudice and intolerance decreases while understanding and enlightenment increases.

DoctorR forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 4 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.