General-Z
jcrudess

Cultural Supremacy exists. Certain cultures are to dominate over others.

General-Z

General-Z

Pro

Throughout the global history, wars have been fought. Whether it be over land, ideas, resources, or to create a puppet government , there is almost always a winner. I, the instigator of this debate believes that culture does play a role as well into how our history is written. A culture that focuses on innovation and accepts newer technology will triumph over a culture that is xenophobic and refuses to accept any foreign influence. Examples of this include Africa being dominated by Europe, the Qing dynasty losing wars to the European Powers and Japan, and now in the modern world with Japan, China, the US, and the EU dominating global economies. Why aren't places like Cuba, Ghana, Uganda, and Myanmar succeeding? It's because of the culture it had that clashed with its history.
jcrudess

Con

Before going any further, I'd like to define some of the terms used in the title of this debate.
Supremacy - 1. The quality or condition of being supreme.
2. Supreme power or authority.
Authority - 1. a. The power to enforce laws, exact obedience, command, determine, or judge.

to dominate - to have control of or power over (someone or something)

In my opinion, no matter how advanced a culture is, it has no right to dominate any other culture, or to enforce laws or change customs of any other culture, because that is basically cultural genocide against weaker cultures. Destroying someone's culture because it may be weaker than others is a direct violation of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 27.

As for the reason for the difference in cultures and their strengths, we have to consider other factors, and not just the traditions and/or xenophobia. Wars are not won with cultural traits, they are won with money. Europe may have dominated the Qing dynasty, but today China is one of the world leaders in economics and manufacturing. Why has Africa never prospered? Because they have nothing to export, no agronomical potential whatsoever, and they are stuck far away from all the great historical trade routes. I agree fully that culture plays a role into how our history is written, but it is not the only role, and certainly not the most important one.

So, in summary, cultural supremacy or cultural domination is not acceptable in any way. Some nations may be more developed than others, but we cannot blame that solely on a specific culture. There are other more important factors to consider.

And if by any chance I misinterpreted the topic: of course that some cultures are always going to be better and more developed than others. Our world is an imperfect one, someone is always going to prosper while someone will suffer.And that is fine, as long as they don't act on it. As I've said before, the strength of cultures changes over time (China, Japan, even the US weren't always world leaders, but now they are). So, if this topic is about proving that some (unnamed) cultures are always going to be better than other unnamed cultures, then I consider it a moot point, and therefore not worth debating at all.

So much for my argument for now. Let's start! :D
General-Z

Pro

As you said, the prosperous economies have changed overtime due to what they have to export and it's based on geography. While that may be true for countries unable to export valuables such as gold and oil, Venezuela has the geographic location to export oil but however is far behind in GDP growth when compared to places such as Qatar and Bahrain. Why? Venezuelans are still following an idea of low economic freedom, anti-capitalism, and refuses anything from the western superpower USA. On the other hand, Japan was in a disfavoring geographic position with mainly rugged mountains and lacking valuable resources. However, when the Americans approached Japan, Japan accepted what America wanted to introduce and other powers started taking interest in Japan. Although Japan still lost the second World War, they sprung up again due to the fact they still had western technology that could be improved. So, even though Japan lacks a major natural resource, their economy grows from exporting artificial goods such as cars, video games, and machines. Therefore, there are cases where geography can be canceled out based on the choices people have made based on the culture/ideas they follow.
jcrudess

Con

jcrudess forfeited this round.
General-Z

Pro

Also, the UN itself is promoting cultural supremacy. They condemn the culture that occurs in North Korea and some Muslim countries, but have no problem with places like Canada or France. The UN believes a culture of freedom and tolerance is greater than one that is strict and radically conservative.
jcrudess

Con

jcrudess forfeited this round.
General-Z

Pro

Seems as if I lack opposition.
jcrudess

Con

jcrudess forfeited this round.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I wouldn't mind debating it. Unfortunately, I've got too many going on right now.
Posted by Daltonian 2 years ago
Daltonian
Was tempted to accept after first viewing, now hesitant after reading argument..
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
General-ZjcrudessTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct- Con FF. I lean slightly to Con but I am afraid it may be due to bias, so scores will be on conduct instead for leaving pro hanging.