goomix
What50

Cuphead is a Kirby ripoff

What50
Started: 10/12/2017 Category: Games

goomix

Pro

Since i first saw Cuphed, i thought it was a nice game. But it felt very familiar. It was in the second boss fight i noticed: it is really similar to Kirby bosses. Each boss is very different, has a lot of health, has different fases depending on their health, has multiple attack pattern and sometimes multiple bosses in one level. And you might argue: yeah, but how about the plane levels huh? And i'll respond saying: kirby has one that is also similar: in Kirby returns to Dream Land (Kirby's adventure Wii for the eastern) the last level in Halcandra before the final boss, there is a space level where Kirby is riding a dragon shooting projectiles forward.
I'll however give Cuphead some credit beacause of it's unique art style, platforming levels, upgrading and shooting mechanics.
Even IF Cuphead isn't a Kirby ripoff, it uses a lot of it's mechanics in it's game but people never think of that beacause Kirby games are frequently forgotten.
You decide!
What50

Con

Thank you Pro I will argue that Cuphead is not a Kirby ripoff. First we must address, similaritys doesn't mean a ripoff. Pro makes make an argument that Kirby and Cuphead holds similarity in bosses mechanics. My opponent admits that each boss is different, as such if each bosses are different they're not a ripoff. He than says each boss has alot of health, this is true to most video games, the boss will always have the most health, the boss is suppose to be a buildup, and it would make sense if the boss would have the most health. Different phases is not a unique game mechanic for Kirby.

My opponent than makes an argument of the similaritys of Kirby Dreamland flying stage. This is different, in Cuphead flying stages their is a mechanic of shrinking, and uses super moves.

My opponent makes an final argument that it holds alot of mechanics of Kirby. This is true, since they're both platforms it would make sense for similar mechanics, that doesn't mean it is a ripoff.
goomix

Pro

I'm sorry if i was unclear with my "different bosses" argument, every boss in it's own game is different. Ex: the Devil is different from the onion or Magolor is different from Whispy Woods. I made that argument beacause many people say it's the uniqueness of each boss that make it a good game while it isn't unique in that genre.

My opponent states that different phases aren't unique to Kirby. That is true, but there aren't many 2d platforming games with very unique multiple stages bosses with many attack patterns that you could find exept for these two because the majority of multiple phases bosses are in 3d.

My opponent also states that the shrinking mechanics are unique to cuphead, this isn't true, shrinking has also been seen in other kirby games.
As for the super moves, they are also used in Kirby's space stage as you can see in this video at 00:28 :https://www.youtube.com...

While i agree Cuphead isn't a Kirby ripoff, i think it stole alot of it's mechanics.
What50

Con

Pro agreed it's not a ripoff therefore I win.
goomix

Pro

Well you won, i forfeit. Congratulations.
What50

Con

Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
PowerPikachu21
As far as I know, Kirby's the only game that allows the player to eat their enemies and take their powers. Cuphead's nothing like that. Saying a 2D platformer's a rip off of another 2D platformer is a great generalization. Banjo Kazooie is nothing like Mario 64.
Posted by LogicalPen 3 months ago
LogicalPen
Wow. You just beanboozled yourself, mate.
Posted by Fernyx 3 months ago
Fernyx
Other games use boss phasing mechanics like Destiny and WoW.
Posted by atjacobmajor 3 months ago
atjacobmajor
"While I agree it's not a ripoff," BOI you just forfited
Posted by What50 3 months ago
What50
These limit characters makes me wanna die.
Vote Placed by Mharman 3 months ago
Mharman
goomixWhat50Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting debate. Anyways, pro conceded.
Vote Placed by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
PowerPikachu21
goomixWhat50Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. Pro concedes that Cuphead isn't a Kirby rip off.
Vote Placed by Arganger 3 months ago
Arganger
goomixWhat50Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.