Kylar
Debater022022

Curling is a sport

Debater022022 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 1/9/2018 Category: Sports

Kylar

Pro

This is a challenge to a debate over whether or not curling [ice and broom and stone] is a sport. I look forward to a rousing and interesting debate on this subject.
Having played III seasons of curling in high school, ultimately lettering in it, I will be making the case that curling is in fact a sport. The burden of proof that it is not rests on my opponent.
I am excited for this debate, and hope to have a good, civil, kind, and well thought out debate.
Thank you in advance to whoever wishes to debate with me.
First round=acceptance only.
Debater022022

Con

To me and probably is not a sport. I rather have regular hockey.
Kylar

Pro

I extend a warm and kind welcome to my opponent, I look forward to an insightful, and pleasant debate with you.
With that, let us commence the arguments phase.
This will be my one of my sources for this opening argument: http://www.sportsonearth.com...
Let us begin with by saying that curling takes an enormous amount of endurance to do. You are walking on a sheet of ice, the temperature is between 18-32 degrees Fahrenheit in a pair of shoes, most likely cleats, which in itself takes balance. The ice is usually pebbled [sprinkled with water droplets] to make it easier to walk on, but it is still slippery [I should know, I have fallen on it before several times]
According to another article I am using here, this sheet of ice is 146-150 feet in length according to mycurling.com, which tests one's physical endurance. You are likely wearing a coat to stay warm, but still curling tests your tolerance of cold, often to it's limits after an eight to ten end game. This comes from sliding 40-42 pound stones, the "rocks", down this sheet, and then sweeping with carbon fiber brooms, sometimes very hard at the ice, in order to keep the stone sliding toward the target, or in curling terms, "house." This wears at your mental, and physical fitness, and it requires grit to keep sweeping on the ice with all of your strength.
These are my opening arguments for why curling is a sport, I turn the argument phase back over to my worthy opponent, and look forward to your arguments. Thank you for the debate :).
http://www.sportsonearth.com...
http://www.mycurling.com...
Debater022022

Con

I respect you and I feel that maybe you could be right, but I will still battle you.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you my friend for your kind words and your courtesy :) I will now post my second round of arguments as to why curling is in fact, a real sport, and they are rather simplistic. For this round, I will focus on the fact that curling involves more than one person, and will unpack more familiar terms such as are common to sports in Round 4. This argument I will post focuses on just this one simple statement: Curling is a sport built on teamwork.
Curling involves a team of four individuals, and they all have unique roles to make sure their end, or round, is a rocking success, pun intended for a small laugh :).
The team's first player is the lead, whose job according to dummies.com is to lay a strong foundation for their teammates. They throw, or slide, whichever you prefer, the first two 40 pound stones down the ice. It is their job to guard their house, or target, from the other team's stones, and also be good at sweeping in the event a third sweeper is needed to get the rock over the hog line, approximately 14-15 feet from the house itself.
The second player on the curling team is simply known as the second. It is their job to throw rocks three and four down the ice sheet, and they sweep the first two stones down the ice. It is their job also normally to take the other team's stones off the house if their lead has sat stones in there. The second and the lead must sweep as one unit, as a team, as they bring the third and fourth stones down the ice sheet.
The third player, is simply known as the third, or vice-skip. It is their job to post the score for the teams at the end of each end, or round, and to set up the shots that the fourth player on the team will have to throw in mere minutes. The third also throws the fifth and sixth stones of the end, and must be good at draws, or guard shots, to prevent the other team from taking off their hard earned rocks that sit inside the house.
The fourth player on the team has probably one the most critical role. They are known as the skip, and it is their job to throw the final two stones to finish the end strong for their team. The skip is also the team's leader, or captain, and they must be someone that is a good strategist, and knows all the shots of curling very well. It is their job also to hold their broom on the area of the house they want their teammates to target when they throw their stones. They are also in charge of telling their teammates when to sweep, and how hard to do it, as even a small mistake can cost the entire team that end.
I rest round 3 with this simple argument-curling is a sport, because curling is not just a one man affair, it takes all four individuals to make a successful end, and it takes teamwork, thereby sealing curling as a sport, because most sports need a team to function well.
I turn the debate back over to my friend, and look forward to the arguments he will present.
Thank you for the debate.