audraxheartsxyou
kels1123

Current Drinking Age

Con Tied Pro

audraxheartsxyou

Con

The current drinking age is extremely to high. It should be lowered to 18 for the following reasons:
>You can buy tobacco products at 18
>You can die for your country at 18
>Some people start their lives at 18
>You get to vote at age 18.

So why not drink.
The drinking age in the United States is the highest in the world. (http://www2.potsdam.edu...)
Also, there's still loads of underage drinking going on, so maybe if it was lowered, we wouldn't have much of a problem.
kels1123

Pro

Okay yes the United States has the highest drinking age in the world , however do we as a country have to follow everyone else's example? If your friend jumps off a roof are you going to as well? There are many policies and laws that are different in the US than other countries , it does not mean we have to follow the popular opinion. Thats why we are our own country.
As for underage drinking being a problem here , so lets adopt the same age as other countries. Don't be mistaken , other countries have underage drinking as well. Ireland is 18 and they have had to tighten the laws extremely because it was getting out of hand with both underage drinking and drinking and driving. They have the same problems as us , yet they just have the problem a bit younger.Scotland is also 18 and they have such a problem with underage drinking that they have had to remove playgrounds , because kids were congregating and desicrating the parks... hmmmm maybe they should change their drinking age to 15 or 16. Why have an age at all , then there won't be any underage drinking.
My next argument, is you are obviously not of the drinking age, as I have seen you debating about your school, if Im incorrect please let me know , so your opinion really as anonlegal drinker is you don't understand fully the responsibility as a legal drinker. Also take into account that many of these counties , at least in Europe, where the drinking age is lower , finish school earlier than Americans. So for us to lower the drinking age we are letting some HS students drink.
I think the solution is to be stricter about enforcing the laws. More serious consequences for underage drinking and drinking and driving.
audraxheartsxyou

Con

Okay, so you make a good point about the vandalization. But I think that would only be a problem in big cities, as we already have that problem anyway. Also about the high school students, a lot of them already drink intensively and on school nights. If they had the ability to do it without getting some type of misdemeanor, they would get tired of it, seeing as they do it as a part of "not getting caught" for the fun. Being able to go to war and see thousands of people die and shoot at people to me is so much worse than drinking an alcoholic beverage. The first 3 below comments all make great points I might add.
I also found a lot of good information on this website.
http://alcohol.bitglyph.com...
You might humor yourself with things you didn't know.
Anyway, I don't think there would be much of a problem if we lowered the drinking age.
kels1123

Pro

Two of your arguments for lowering the age are not really valid. For example, just because you lower the drinking age , does not mean that underage drinking will stop. It will just be younger kids that are caught. Kids are drinking at 16 and 17 they will still drink at 16 and 17, if the age is 18. WE need tougher laws for underage drinking. Also , you said that other countries all have lower drinking ages , again what does that have to do with our country? Just because one country has a law one way , doesn't mean we should share a law. It is a proven fact that college kids (for the most part, not all of them ) are very irresponsible drinkers. Rather than let them drink legally, why not make laws tougher so they have less access to alcohol than let them roam free. As for once youre legal, you don't want to do it anymore because its not a big deal . Not necessarily true. When people turn 21, they are constantly at bars (again I know not all people) for about a year or two... If you change the age they will just do the same when they are 18 and 19 and probably even longer. 18 is too young, they are not experienced drivers , and often dont understand just how dangerous it is to drink and drive. College and drinking is already a big enough problem , we need to find away to control the college and binge drinking not make it easier.
audraxheartsxyou

Con

18 is not to young. For some people they've been driving for 2-3 years. Does that mean it's too young to die for your country. If you're old enough to die for your country, I think you should damn well be able to do whatever you please, as far as the law goes. To put it in different terms, 18 should be the legal age to drink considering you can do just about everything else. If not, then you shouldn't be able to vote or die or fight until your 21 also...and go to clubs.
Like I said before, if it was lowered, there wouldn't be so much of a problem. Seeing as people would for the most part get tired of it and stop drinking except on occasion.
You can legally get married at age 18, but you can't drink at your reception due to the fact you have to be 21. Does it make sense no.
I do agree with your argument though, if we lowered the age, then we should also have stricter rules to have the safety of the younger ones.
Thousands of problems could be solved if we lowered the age.
kels1123

Pro

The drinking age was 18 in the past and it was raised for a reason. The UK is actually debating changing their drinking age , because of our example and that they have such a problem with binge drinking in younger people. They have seen that the numbers have dropped since the 80s. Australia , yet another country debating whether to raise the drinking age .http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au... Now the only reason I bring up other countries is one of your reasons for lowering the drinking age is , we are the country with the highest drinking age. Unmderage drinking will happen regardless of the age. But with college drinking such an issue , why make it easier for them to access alcohol. Instead we need to come up with a solution for stopping these young adults for behaving in dangerous forms of alcohol consumptions. Making it easier for them to get the alcohol will not stop underage drinking. It will just make it easier for some. Some 18 year olds are in HS , so lets not only make it a problem for college campuses , lets make it easier for HS students . then they will have their very own classmate to get them all the alcohol they need. We need to stop binge drinking and drinking and driving among young people not say oh WTH they are drinking anyway , so lets make it legal. An 18 year old can sign up to fight for their country , however in my eyes you cant compare the two .. Standing up for your country is a brave thing to do and you know the risks , drinking alcohol ...is just drinking alcohol. A serviceman knows that he is signing up to fight for his country at 18 and still can't drink alcohol ..so how is it not fair. yes you can vote but voting isn't dangerous. Also drinking and driving or binge drinking can result not only in your own pain and suffering , but you can hurt someone else. College campuses can not control drinking at the age it is at , so you honestly believe adding more to the mix will help???? It needs to be dealt with. Rules must be tightened not broadened.
Posted by audraxheartsxyou 9 years ago
audraxheartsxyou
YEA.
let me tell ya.
its hilarious.
Posted by artC 9 years ago
artC
hahahahaha, clsmooth, I hate to say it, but I can't help liking you at least a little bit when you make comments like that.
Posted by audraxheartsxyou 9 years ago
audraxheartsxyou
alright.

sorry.

like i said if not than nvm.
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
dnot' mkea fnu of my dislexia
Posted by audraxheartsxyou 9 years ago
audraxheartsxyou
yes, you proved many pointed I actually am thinking about changing my opinion on it.

Um...Mr. Clsmooth...
whose alexandra?
if you were referring to me that's not my name.

if you weren't than nevermind.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Thanks Audraxheartsxyou for the debate. You were never rude or snappy. It was great debating with you :)
Posted by la_bella_vita 9 years ago
la_bella_vita
my vote is with Kels on this one.

honestly this is something i don't have much of an opinion on, now because i'm 21, but before because i knew that i would drink if i wanted to anyway. underage kids are always going to find a way to drink. it's stupid to complain about this issue if you're under 21 and you just want it to be easier to get alcohol - will you still be debating it so hotly after your 21st?

p.s.
changing the law WOULD cause a problem. could you imagine the day that they announce the new law changed, how many 18, 19 and 20 year olds would go out and drink themselves to death (literally)?
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
Although I agree with Alexandra, I think Kels made a better argument. I think Alexandra backed down from points where logic was actually on her side. A pretty good debate, but I go with Kels.
Posted by Guardian27 9 years ago
Guardian27
I think people look at 18 in the wrong way. When we say that 18 year olds are adults, that means that they're held accountable for their own actions. That doesn't mean that they have the tools, life experience, and maturity to handle every situation. I'm glad that the drinking age is 21. There's no way that I want a bunch of 18 year old high school seniors getting behind the wheel drunk after their graduation parties. I know that already happens, but can you imagine how many more there would be if it was legal for them to drink at 18???
Posted by repete21 9 years ago
repete21
I hate when people say that "you can die for your country at 18" how about some patriatism, and say "You can serve your country at age 18" we all know you can die in the military, you dont have to tell us. Its not like they sign up so they can die, they sign up to protect your freedom, how about some support, instead of making it sound like they just sign up to die.
Vote Placed by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by white19863 9 years ago
white19863
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by aaeap2 9 years ago
aaeap2
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by deanduke3 9 years ago
deanduke3
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by christ88 9 years ago
christ88
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by impactyourworld89 9 years ago
impactyourworld89
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by MaxFagin 9 years ago
MaxFagin
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by Fenrir 9 years ago
Fenrir
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied
Vote Placed by asian_invasion 9 years ago
asian_invasion
audraxheartsxyoukels1123Tied