Commondebator
Gabe1e

Current illegal drugs (besides marihuana) should not be legalized

Commondebator

Con

This debate will be besides the legalization of marihuana. First round is acceptance.

Have fun, no cussing, Bop is shared. Give reasons why current illicit drugs (besides marihuana) should be legalized.

Round 2 will be addressing BoP
Following rounds will be rebuttals (if you would like to add on to your BoP, you may)

This debate is a federal case, however, feel free to add moral views.
Gabe1e

Pro

Are we doing several drugs, or just one different illegal drug?
Commondebator

Con

We are doing all the current drugs that are illegal and can get you "High". (Including hallucigens).

Federal and ecomomic point of view

I. Will cause decline in econmy. (As shown by New Hampshire and Vermont)
Vermont and New Hampshire has one of the Highest Illict drug problems in the U.S.Yet, its not suprising that they have one of the Lowest GSP. Now, I am not implying that illict drug use is the sole cause for a decrease of GSP. But, rather it is more than a mere coincdidence. From a logical (as well as statistical) standpoint, it is safe to assume an increased drug rate will lead to an unstable society which the risk alone is not worth taking. Also, drug legalization advocates claimed that the money used to legalize drugs can be used for the good. Here is the DEA's response “Ask legalization proponents if the alleged profits from drug legalization would be enough to pay for the increased fetal defects, loss of workplace productivity, increased traffic fatalities and industrial accidents, increased domestic violence and the myriad other problems that would not only be high-cost items but extremely expensive in terms of social decay."

II. Drugs tied to terrisom
During the aftermath, of 9/11, the DEA, performed research through drug trafficking. Regarding the train boming in madrid, according to the DEA, "The bombers swapped hashish and ecstasy for the 440 pounds of dynamite used in the blasts, which killed 191 people and injured more than 1,400 others. Money from the drugs also paid for an apartment hideout, a car, and the cell phones used to detonate the bombs".

III. Drugs and crime
There is no doubt that drugs relate to crime. Drug crimes often involve murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny/theft, serious motor vehicle offenses with dangerous consequences, arson and hate crimes. We need to break the chain between drug and crime, not make it stronger.
  • 80% of offenders abuse drugs or alcohol.
  • Nearly 50% of jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.
  • Approximately 60% of individuals arrested for most types of crimes test positive for illegal drugs at arrest.
We have one of the higest incaraction rates, and
  • 60 - 80% of drug abusers commit a new crime (typically a drug-driven crime) after release from prison.
  • Approximately 95% return to drug abuse after release from prison.
IV. Jobs that require drug tests
Many jobs do not require drug tests, but that is a big exception when it comes to federal and transportaion jobs. However, one out of five employees were reported for drug tests in Colorado. It is not very shocking that many buisness owners prefere a drug free envirment. It is not unlikly to get fired if you are caught getting drugs in the workplace.

This is all for my Federal standpoint. I will do rebuttals in the next round, and include morality in my Bop
Gabe1e

Pro

Um. I don't mean to waste a round, but I'm just informing you that you are on the Con side... we are going to be arguing about the same thing.
Commondebator

Con

Commondebator forfeited this round.
Gabe1e

Pro

My opponent and I have came to an agreement to forfeit because we were both arguing about the same side.

Please do not vote, it is a tie.
Commondebator

Con

I thank my opponent with his amazing sportsmanship.

I respect him for that.
Gabe1e

Pro

Thank you, Con.

This debate has a lot of potential, I would love to argue about it, but things happen.
Posted by Saska 2 years ago
Saska
Commondebator, I would debate you on this topic. Do you want to recreate this debate and challenge me? Just make sure that you make yourself Pro, not Con. You can just include your arguments from round 2 here in your opening statement if you'd like.
Posted by Saska 2 years ago
Saska
Shouldn't Con in this debate be arguing against the motion? The motion states that current illegal drugs should NOT be legalized, so Con's job is to argue that they should be legalized. I have a feeling that both sides will be arguing the same thing here (considering pro is against drug legalization (as per his profile) as well...
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
(Besides marihuana)
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
ok, when I say all drugs, I mean all drugs that can get you "high"

This includes hallucinogens
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
All drugs