NayrbBHB
bnaughty54

Cutlery Should Go Handles down

NayrbBHB

Pro

It should be noted that water runs down - Gravity?. Therefore placing the utensils facing up has the dirty water running off the handle leaving the cutting eating part of the utensil cleanest. Like washing your car, you start from the top and work your way down.

As far as touching to put away, wash your hands :)
bnaughty54

Con

When you put cutlery eating part facing upwards when you go to unload you touch the eating area with your dirty hands and that is gross.
NayrbBHB

Pro

Wash your hands dude
bnaughty54

Con

I am not the only one in my house. My wife and kids and others may unload it so how can i monitor this?
NayrbBHB

Pro

Perhaps you should teach your family better hygiene
bnaughty54

Con

They have great hygiene. So genius, when they reach down to get those knives that are sticking blade up and cut themselves and bleed on the dishes and floor and have to go to the hospital because you want gravity to work for you in your dishwasher will you be happy?
NayrbBHB

Pro

In regard to the safety issue. Lets find some common group. OK the sharp knives go down. For the sake of the children... I'll give this.
bnaughty54

Con

I like things to be uniform. So if they are all up they are all up. If they are all down I like them all down. I also like to put all the forks into one section and knives in another and spoons in their own as well for ease of having them pre-organized so when I go to put them away it is just grab the bunch and put in cutlery drawer in a bunch.
NayrbBHB

Pro

Of course, I assumed you would group your utensils. This is a given. We have fixed the safety issue (btw, make your young kids unload the dishwasher? C'mon - only a kid once. Do you love your kids?). So use gravity... can't beat gravity it wins every time and be safe. Perfect solution. Most will be up as there are less sharp knives so I win by majority of down vs up.
bnaughty54

Con

ready for the knockout punch?

FROM the GE Appliances website:

Dishwasher - Proper Silverware Loading

When you place silverware in the basket:
Place forks and knives with the handles up to protect hands.

Place spoon handles down if there is an unusually large load of silverware or utensils in the basket. Otherwise, place spoon handles up also.

Game, set and match
Posted by Noswad63 4 years ago
Noswad63
Uh... How does water magically appear on the utensils?