chamacala123
ethopia619

Cyber Bullying Should Be a Criminal Offense

chamacala123
Started: 12/5/2010 Category: Technology

chamacala123

Con

Why are people making such a big deal on cyber bullying. I would like to debate about this in preparation on my NFL debate coming up soon.

First of all, education is a much better way to solve this. Second, it is not a big threat. Third, criminalizing it doesn't stop cyber bullying.

Contention One- Programs work! They are very effective. Anti bullying programs work-According to Newsday, "Statistics from the state Department of Education show a nearly 11 percent decline on the Island in incidents reported as intimidation or bullying from 2006-2007 to 2008-2009.

Cyber bullying should be dealt in schools, not courts. Schools can have no bullying programs to stop cyber bulling. It is very effective. The government is not meant to protect from life. You can't make it illegal because someone is being to another person.

Contention Two- It is NOT a big threat at all! The person can delete the text message, close the window, and chooses not to look at it. Cyber bullying also doesn't have to be taken so seriously especially if it's just a joke and sarcastic comment. Plus, you can report the abuse. Over the internet and text messages, it can be hard to decide the person is being sarcastic or not.

Contention Three- How in the world does criminalizing cyber bullying work? You see thieves rob banks even though it's a illegal.
Making cyber bullying illegal doesn't stop it from occurring. It will overwhelm the courts as well. This violates the first amendment because of freedom of speech. Bullying over the internet is not a big threat. We shouldn't need laws

Thanks and hope you vote for me.
ethopia619

Pro

Greetings Pro,

Welcome to debate.org!

"First of all, education…" This has nothing to do with the topic, " Cyber Bullying Should be a Criminal Offence."

"Third, criminalizing..." False. If you make it a criminal offense, they will more likely stop cyber bullying.

"Programs work! They..." Not really. Have you heard that the cousin of a boy hanged himself because he was cyber bullied. Programs work, yeah, right.

"Cyber bullying should be dealt..." Rephrase that. I almost thought that you contradicted yourself. Rephrase, please.

"Contention Two- It is NOT..." Still, the cousin of a boy hanged himself because he was cyber bullied. Your hole argument is false. It is a big threat.

"Making cyber bullying illegal..." Yes, it does stop it from occurring. If you do something illegal, shouldn't you be arrested or something? Yeah. Totally. It's like saying: " If I killed a president, I would die?" Yeah. I bet you are going, "WHAT?" Okay, I'll rephrase that. If you knew that you were about to do something wrong, you would definitely feel that you shouldn't do it. So, it does stop it from occuring.

"We shouldn't need laws." Sorry to say this, but that was your big time failure. "We shouldn't need laws." Wow. If we did not have laws, the world would be in chaos. The human race would be long dead. So, this argument is false.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Cyber-bullying involves the use of information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harm others. Cyber-bullying is bullying which uses e-technology as a means of victimising others. It is the use of an Internet service or mobile technologies – such as e-mail, chat room discussion groups, instant …" ~ http://legaldefinition.us... This means that cyber bullying is horrible because it is intended to harm others.

Cyber bullying is already a criminal offense.

www.worldlawdirect.com/.../46287-cyber-bullying-criminal-offence.html

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11757710

http://legaldefinition.us...

I thank my opponent for this debate. Good luck!
chamacala123

Con

Education is a big influence to cyber bullying. Programs will work. They teach students what is right from wrong to those who don't know.

The boy who hanged himself? Give me a break. He chose that decision. Not the victim. That boy need to learn that suicide isn't that answer when theres no where to go. Find help by asking an adult or do something! Killing yourself is NOT an option.

Making cyber bullying isn't going to work. You see people in the world who do horrible stuff even though it is illegal. That doesn't stop them.

And excuse me, when i said we shouldn't need laws, you don't have to go and say it is a big time failure. What I meant was that There shouldn't be laws on cyber bullying. Use context clues!

Thanks for your argument :)

And hope to you awesome people out there to vote for me!
ethopia619

Pro

Great debate, Con,

"Education is a big influence to cyber...Programs will...They teach..." False. You still see teenagers cyber bullying each other, even if they are in 8th grade.

The boy hanged himself because of cyber bullying. Therefore, cyber bullying should be a criminal offense.

Killing yourself is actually an option. It's like saying: "Here are three options on your test. You can die. You can fly. Or you can cry." It actually is an option.

"Making cyber...You see..." If you make it a criminal offense, it could strike fear into their hearts, and there would be a decline in cyber bullying.

"What I meat was that...There shouldn't be laws..." There already is a law banning cyber bullying.

You don't have to go "Vote for me!" You should state that in round 3.

Cyber bullying is intended to harm others. Challenge: Rebut this.

I thank my opponent for this great debate! Good luck, Con! :) :) :)

stopcyberbullying.org

www.cyberbullying.us

I rest my case.

I await my opponent's response.

Thanks!
chamacala123

Con

Why do you keep thinking school programs won't? They are SUPER effective. Kids stop smoking because of the dare program. Kids stop being pregnant early because of FLE. And anti-bullying programs work.

You are exactly correct. Killing yourself is an option. They why do people do it? I mean, I understand if they just die because they're no options left, but killings yourself, LIKE YOU SAID, is an option. Why can't people deal with it instead of suicidal???

I can go "VOTE FOR ME!" all I want because they're no rules saying I can't.

Cyber bullying is NOT intended to harm others. Bullies just do it because they want to make fun of the victim, but they don't mean to cause suicidal.

VOTE FOR ME IF YOU WANT LESS COMPLICATED THINGS IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM.
vote for pro if you want a justice system up your nose.
ethopia619

Pro

Wonderful debate, Con!

Thank you for the fast reply!

Okay. Let's begin:

1. Smoking

"Why do you keep...They are... Kids stop..." False. You can still see teenagers smoke even if they gone through the DARE program.
"Bad kids smoke." ~ www.flickr.com/photos/istorija/3853160825/ Some kids that gone through the DARE program still smoke. "Gone into one ear and out of the other."

2. Suicide

Let's face it. People who are depressed suicide. Kids could get depressed. If kids were heavily harmed from cyber bullying, they would harm themselves. They would think that they were a big failure.
"The main targets of cyber bullying are teens." ~ http://safety.lovetoknow.com...

3. "Vote for me!"

You could, but it takes up "characters."

4. Harms of Cyber Bullying

You even stated, "Bullies just do it because they want to make fun of the victim, but they don't mean to cause suicidal." Thank you for agreeing to my point. Cyber bullying indeed harms others. Bullies make fun of the victim, therefore, cyber bullying harms the victim.

5. Justice System

"VOTE FOR ME IF YOU WANT LESS COMPLICATED THINGS IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM." Isn't the justice system good? If there weren't laws, the world would be in chaos. If we didn't have a justice system, innocent victims would be arrested for a crime that they didn't commit.

I thank my opponent for this great debate! Vote Pro, please. Good job, con. I would like to debate you again in the future. Good luck!
Posted by chamacala123 6 years ago
chamacala123
I never thought I would even get a vote because I was such in a rush. But, thanks for all your votes guys! Thank you also to my opponent who excepted my debate.
Vote Placed by chamacala123 6 years ago
chamacala123
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by bmbmelody 6 years ago
bmbmelody
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by alfredowp95 6 years ago
alfredowp95
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by jojoduke 6 years ago
jojoduke
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by RDRitchey14 6 years ago
RDRitchey14
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by Stevo 6 years ago
Stevo
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by kuttless 6 years ago
kuttless
chamacala123ethopia619Tied
Vote Placed by Zilla2112 6 years ago
Zilla2112
chamacala123ethopia619Tied