Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act

Simple debate/discussion regarding CISPA, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act.

I am against it, I would like to hear why you are for it.

3 rounds
arguments/ talking points
rebuttals/ closing statments

Just want to know why some people think that this invasion of privacy is a good thing.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Franklin's Contributions to the Conference Fri, Feb 17, 1775

For further reference, since I am not a citizen of the United States of America nor I understand the specific process for passing laws trough the United States of America government, it is important to clarify that the specific version that is going to be debated on is Version 4 of CISPA(H.R.3523) as provided by the Library of Congress.[1]

I accept the proponent position in the basis of increased flexibility for cooperation between private and public sector in the USA and the public demonstration of the difference between privacy by policy and privacy by design. In both cases increasing security and privacy trough either direct means such as ability for a private entity to get involved in the detection and resolution of digital security threats and indirect means such as increased awareness of privacy by design systems such as Tor, Bitcoin, I2P, Namecoin, Freenet, Ripple and other systems which are not affected by this bill which should be implemented and used in a more mainstream fashion.[2]

I would like to mention that even if I support the passing of CISPA, I would also argue in pro of security and privacy by design and the support and education of the matter.

This debate should encompass both the direct and indirect impacts of the bill taking into account both the impact to the mainstream and the informed/savvy population.

jackintosh forfeited this round.

Well, I am impressed that there was a nil effort to refute the claims of invasion to privacy from the bill. :/

Forfeit, see comments... Sorry too busy this week...

Posted by jackintosh 3 years ago
I forfeit, not because I agree or because I do not have arguments but because I am way too busy this week. Sorry.
Posted by fabianhjr 3 years ago
Don't worry too much about it. Though I read the bill twice and still I don't see what the sweat is about. I haven't seen a single section that gives the government more power to spy on citizens. Only ability to coop between private and public sectors.
Posted by jackintosh 3 years ago
Sorry, I have been too busy to give this debate a fighting chance.
Vote Placed by Pennington 3 years ago