KiloBravo
Reece.Shelton

Cyber-bullying upon social media is very preventable

KiloBravo

KiloBravo

Pro

I would like to start off my argument first by saying, I do not understand how cyber bullying on the Internet is as bad as it is. I mean I believe it's very simple to prevent such things from happening, I'm my experience only add friends that you know and anyone who even slightly abuses you, just block them and if serious enough report them, there are buttons on websites such as facebook and twitter that do allow for this despite the news reports.

Now please do not bring other examples of cyber bullying into this as I do realise that other examples of cyber bullying such as via mobile phone is harder to prevent. This argument is for social media only.
Reece.Shelton

Con

It is not necessarily possible to prevent Cyber-bullying on social media. It is difficult to prevent Cyber-bullying completely because there are people who are able to create fake profiles in order to hide their true identity, therefore you cannot fully prevent this cyber-bullying.
KiloBravo

Pro

Why a BULLY would wish to create a fake account in order to get under someone's skin is beyond me, and the answer is simple, they would be blocked again and also should be reported for trying to make new accounts in order to make someone's life miserable. Websites can also do something called IP bans, this basically allows them to ban an entire computer or mobile device (which all have IP addresses) access to that website. It would also take a very consistent and paitent person to actually create fake profiles just to bully someone, something I think most bullies are not capable of.
Reece.Shelton

Con

Profiles take seconds to set up, and numerous accounts could be created within a matter of minutes. Equally, if the persercuter is phobic of something (homosexuals, ethnic minorities), they would be much more likely to create these profiles just to purposefully harm others, and these cause psychological harm.
Although this can be preventable sometimes, these can cause long term harms, and people willingness to put up with this abuse varies, and although one abuse may not harm someone, to someone else this could be the pinicle of assault.
My point is that although it may preventable, it may cause harmful effects to children long lasting, and may be more devestating than just the children being bullied, and may cause family effects.
Sometimes effect is more crutial than the cause.
KiloBravo

Pro

I must say you are coming off topic slightly with this arguement, all your points are very valid and I fully understand them but my argument is about how social media is very preventable from cyber bullying. Due to many protections and tools that are put up by the websites. Despite the media suggesting otherwise.
Reece.Shelton

Con

Reece.Shelton forfeited this round.
Posted by saskiasmummy 3 years ago
saskiasmummy
I believe cyber bullying will always happen but can put under more control by making it the law for under 18s not to be allowed on social networking sites. This way the safeness of children will increase and bullying under a little bit more control. At the moment the law doesn't state children not be to be on these sites however the sites its self won't but too many parents will set up accounts using a false date of birth, cause of this is allowing children into these situations.
Vote Placed by HeartOfGod 3 years ago
HeartOfGod
KiloBravoReece.SheltonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited at the end, which is unfortunate because I actually thought Con was winning the debate. Pro just seemed to be appealing to emotion much of the time you know.? Either way, this debate was alright.