lindsay.fieldhockey
Hated

Cyber bullying

Hated

lindsay.fieldhockey

Pro

I disagree with you. Even though you may think that people can deal with it, some people cant. I was bullied and I got really sad. I said that I would never let bullies hurt me, but when the time came it was harder than it seemed. It should not happen at all, so why be taught how to be strong, when you don't even have to worry about it at all.
Hated

Con

If you are affected by cyber bullying then why are you on the internet at all. You have complete power in this situation, you can either choose to say that you will not care what they say or you can choose to just not look at the place on the internet where you are, and whether or not your feelings are hurt is irrelevant, the fact is that in this country we have the freedom of speech, which allows anyone to say anything without the interference of the government, and while you can try and persuade them to stop, it isn't illegal, so while I might agree with you that cyber-bullying sucks and is hurtful, they technically aren't doing anything wrong.
lindsay.fieldhockey

Pro

The con said " If you are affected by cyberbullying then why are you on the internet at all. You have complete power in this situation, you can either choose to say that you will not care what they say or you can choose to just not look at the place on the internet where you are, and whether or not your feelings are hurt is irrelevant, the fact is that in this country we have the freedom of speech, which allows anyone to say anything without the interference of the government, and while you can try and persuade them to stop, it isn't illegal, so while I might agree with you that cyber-bullying sucks and is hurtful, they technically aren't doing anything wrong."

But, I am still on the internet because I was younger when it happened, around 3rd grade. I am older now and can handle it. I was on a little kid website where you can become friends and talk to other people. Even though there is freedom of speech, there is a point that goes too far. By the way, from the website, Freedom of Speech Versus Cyberbullying, they said that cyberbullying goes beyond of what the First Amendment covers. Also, even though you say it isn't illegal, it actually is. All of my websites that I have visited, they all said that it is illegal. According to criminal.findlaw.com, "Nearly all states have bullying laws in place, many with cyberbullying or electronic harassment provisions. Cyberbullying is considered against the law, but most people aren't caught or stayed secretive." So, my opponent said that cyberbullying isn't against the law, but actually it is.
Hated

Con

The problem with cyber-bullying laws is the same problem there is with hate speech laws, if someone like myself is trying to introduce a new way of thinking, like saying something like "abortion should be illegal" or "transgenderism is a serious mental disorder" then that can be misconstrued as cyber-bullying. This exact situation has happened to myself and my friends, almost ruining the life of my best friend. Cyber-bullying laws prevent people from introducing newer more productive ideas, and while it might stop other people from straight up harassment, it can get in the way of progress.
Here's an example, imagine if you will if there was computers and such in the civil war, you're telling me that if the north said somethimy like "the south is full of racist garbage" then that would be cyber-bullying, no matter how true it is.
lindsay.fieldhockey

Pro

The definition of cyberbullying is, "The use of electronic communication to bully a person," (Google). That means that cyberbullying is aiming towards one person and is trying to make them feel bad. If you say that abortion should be illegal, it is not aiming towards a certain person, and it is just an opinion towards a thing that you believe in. If you say that abortion should be illegal, then it's not talking to a certain person, its just what you think and is not intended to hurt anyone's feelings.
Hated

Con

The problem is that nobody actually sees it that way. Many people see cyber-bullying as "someone said something to hurt my feelings, that's cyber-bullying and it's illegal". Everybody has different definitions of the word bullying. So when I say something to hurt someones feelings, the believe that I'm bullying them when realistically, I'm just saying something they disagree with. The problem is that there is no universal definition of bullying. So for your "definition of cyber-bullying", it uses a word that has no definition. Which means that it really doesn't tell you anything about that word. I understand that cyber-bullying laws help people who actually are getting bullied, (or at least by your definition bullied). But other times it steps on the 1st amendment right to free speech.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 8 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
Nice debate!
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 9 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
@FanboyMctroll Con wins this debate!
Posted by FanboyMctroll 9 months ago
FanboyMctroll
If you don't like being bullied, guess what GET OFF THE INTERNET!!! Stop being a baby, get out of your moms basement, take off the Spiderman PJ's and go socialize like a real person.
Posted by SupaDudz 9 months ago
SupaDudz
agreed
Posted by NicholasGomezTillar 9 months ago
NicholasGomezTillar
Interesting debate! I think that this topic can be very "controversial," due to different viewpoints based environmental factors and beliefs.
@Hated Albeit, I don't believe that one can just 'stay off the internet.' The internet is the norm for socialization, and most of us use it daily ( Like right now ). Also, there are new cyberbullying laws, such as David's Law, in Texas, where it offenses as a misdemeanor ( Congress was also addressing of spreading this law across the USA as well ). But I do agree with you that it isn't addressed properly, and how it contradicts with free speech.
@Lindsay.fieldhockey sorry people mistreated you. :/
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 9 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
lindsay.fieldhockeyHatedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con by default!
Vote Placed by SupaDudz 9 months ago
SupaDudz
lindsay.fieldhockeyHatedTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO wins this debate. Here is the main reason. We have cyberbullying laws right now in place that are NOT stopping new ways of cyberbullying, it is a criminal offense if you cyber bully. You do make a good point that it never happens that people getting arrested for it is not likely because it is not a serious thing to call about. The anonymous claim doesn't matter because in the end, the government tracks everything you do. I think the PRO's mental effects and against the law case will outweigh the likelihood and anonymous claims that CON makes. This was a good debate to judge because there wasn't any dropped arguments or holes. Good job to all sides for a fun debate to judge.