Jifpop09
SeventhProfessor

DDO Song Battles - A Jifpop09 Series: 90's edition

SeventhProfessor
Started: 3/20/2014 Category: Music

Jifpop09

Pro

That's right everybody, time for the second edition of DDO song battles. We will be going 90's on this one. I will be accepting challengers in the comment section, so post an acceptance video. You will be required to write a short 200-1000 word synopsis for each video you post in your round, and you may not copy someone elses band or song. The synopsis does not count towards the vote. You should only say I accept for round 1.

Round 2: 90's alternative
Round 3: 90's Random
Round 4: 90's Energetic
Round 5: 90's Random

SeventhProfessor

Con

Jifpop09

Pro

My first song is by the band Sublime. A reggae and alternative rock band that hit fame in the 90's, for making cool sounding vibes coupled with alternative themes. The song, "What I got" was one of the best selling singles to come out in 1997, and hit the band serious fame. You can often still see people wearing Sublime shirts at concerts, and has many fans in both the younger and older generations.

SeventhProfessor

Con

Rick Astley shows off his beautiful long hair in his second most popular song, "Cry For Help". Now, while not nearly as successful as "Never Gonna Give You Up", it"s much more well received due to the fact it"s not under videos called stuff like "leaked first ten minutes of the Hunger Games!!1!!!!!!!11!", along with meaningful lyrics. This song, unlike others of the 90"s, isn"t drowned out by annoying loud pop sounds. While that may be preferable in an instrumental song, it has no place drowning out meaningful lyrics like the ones in Cry For Help. As I said before, Rick Rolling has given Astley a negative reputation, so many may not want to listen to this song. Let me tell you, even if Give You Up isn"t your cup of tea, this song is truly great. It won"t be disappointing, and is basically the Breaking Bad of music. Thank you, and onto my opponent Jifpop!
Jifpop09

Pro

My next song is called "Babys got Back", by Sir Mix a Lot. This song is legendary, and I don't know a person who hasn't heard it. It is pretty much a song on the beauty of the womens back, as in booty. SO funny, and makes me crack up every time.

SeventhProfessor

Con

One of my favorite songs of all time, Pretty Fly isn't just fun, but has a deeper message to it. I don't want to bore you with my theory that it's really talking about overworked Chinese, so I'll just let you watch the video. Enjoy!

BTW Jiffy meant 200 characters in the first round, not words.
Jifpop09

Pro

Alright, my next selection is "Can't Touch This", by MC Hammer. Perhaps one of Americas most legendarys song in modern day pop culture. I'm not sure if it actually has a meaning, but it makes me laugh. Anyways, that's my selection.

SeventhProfessor

Con

Excellent choice, my good sir. I was going to go with it, but too late ow XD
Anyway, my choice is an unarguable masterpiece, Groove Is In The Heart, and the song really speaks for itself. Essentially, groove IS in the heart. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com...
Jifpop09

Pro

Next Song. "This is how we do it", by Montell Jordan. For 7 weeks, it was at the top of the Billboard Hot 100. It perfectly embodies the spirit of 90's R&B, with its mix of rap, vibe, and jazz. They key elements that made 90's music so memorable.

----------------
Round 2: The rules stated that Round 2 must be a 90's song with alternative elements. My opponent has given you post 80's love, and I'm pretty sure Rick Ashtley is not alternative in the slightest.

Round 3: No complaints here, but I think my song tops that 1999 flop.

Round 4: MC Hammer or Post Disco Revival. I'm going with MC hammer. I started this debate envisioning music that embodies the 90's spirit. I did not expect my opponent to play a genre that died out in the late 70's.

Round 5: Don't know what my opponent has coming, but come on guys. This songs legendary. Who hasn't heard it?

===========

Thanks for debating me SeventhProfessor. May the best songs win.
SeventhProfessor

Con

Excellent choice on jifpop's part. I'll also be going with a song familiar to everyone, but for a slightly different reason. My song is I'll Be There For You by the Rembrandts, or, as most of you know it, the theme song for FRIENDS.

Round 2- I apologize, I didn't see that rule at the time. It's worth pointing out, however, that I wrote a 200 word description while Jifpop didn't, and only stopped once he told me via PM that it was supposed to be 200 characters.
Round 3- Everyone's heard Baby Got Back, to the point where it's almost cliche to bring it up in a debate like this. Pretty Fly, on the other hand, is a fun, only semi-popular song that's a lot harder to get tired of.
Round 4- See "Round 3"
Round 5- I also went with a song everyone knows, but here's the difference- people know more words than the chorus in my song :P

A fun debate, I'd love to do it again (though perhaps songs from musicals next time?)
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Lets try to do this in like a half hour though.
Posted by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
SeventhProfessor
91.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
No, we need all 90's
Posted by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
SeventhProfessor
87, but close enough, right?
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
I'm not starting this until my videos start embedding.
Vote Placed by EndarkenedRationalist 2 years ago
EndarkenedRationalist
Jifpop09SeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough call here, but I'm going to go with CON. I enjoy "This is How We Do It" whereas Baby Got Back has always been on my "ehhh" list, and Can't Touch This just felt like a cheap way to pander to the crowd. I feel like CON expended more effort into finding his songs. Also, PRO didn't meet his 200 character limit, so conduct goes to CON.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
Jifpop09SeventhProfessorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't meet the 200 char. limit, so conduct to con. Overall jif had better songs.