Jifpop09
ESocialBookworm

DDO Song Battles - A Jifpop09 Series: Classic Rock edition

Jifpop09
Started: 3/22/2014 Category: Music

Jifpop09

Pro

So far I remain undefeated, and I'm not ready to break that streak. This edition is Classic rock, and I'll be facing off against the legendary, Esociallbookworm. The rules are simple. Each round you will post a music video, accompanied by a 200 character synopsis. You may not use the same band or song as your opponent. Failure to follow the round struction equals a conduct subtraction. Twice, and a S&G point. My opponent should say "I accept" in round 1. All songs should be classic rock.

Round 2: Vietnam War
Round 3: Random
Round 4: 70's classic rock
Round 5: Random

ESocialBookworm

Con

I accept. Please let it be known that I live under a rock and though I like almost all genres, I have a very little knowledge base of music. Thank you the wonderful Jifpop09, for setting this up. Let's rock. (< See my pun.)
Jifpop09

Pro

Alright, this song is called "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. A legendary band which rose to prominence in the vietnam war era. Their songs were often in protest to the war, and are probably the most notable protest band. They revolutionized classic rock, and paved the way for more artists to enter in the genre. This particular song is talking about how unlucky the singer is, to be dropped down in Vietnam. I was going with "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Mcguire, but I figured that didn't have the same classic vibe. I also had a short deliberation on whether I should go about using "All along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix.

ESocialBookworm

Con

According to, http://www.history.com...;, “the Vietnam War was a long, costly armed conflict that pitted the communist regime of North Vietnam and its southern allies, known as the Viet Cong, against South Vietnam and its principal ally, the United States.” Consequently, more than 3 million people were killed, the U.S. forces retreated and Vietnam was united under Communist control two years later. I chose this song because I love The Beatles. This song talks about changing the world and a revolution.

Don't you know it's gonna be all right? All right, all right!” These lyrics evoke the little hope that the people at home have during periods of war. “There is also an extra beat at the end of the last chorus, the result of an accidental bad edit during the mixing process that was left uncorrected at Lennon's request.” I’ve always thought this was interesting and fitting. People make mistakes and sometimes you can’t change them. Lennon didn’t change it, even though he has a chance to.

“We all want to change your head/You tell me it's the institution/Well, you know/You better free you mind instead.” Free your head of your worries and relax and listen to the music, or be free from your thoughts and “rock out.”

Since my dear opponent has kindly claimed his other songs, I'll make a dibs for "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen (my very favourite rock song.)

Jifpop09

Pro

Heres my song, "Sweet Child of Mine" sung by Axl Rose from Guns and Roses. Who hasn't heard of this song. This is perhaps one of the greatest pre-nirvana grunge songs, and perfectly sums up the spirit of Rock and Roll. Man, I could get lost in this song :)

ESocialBookworm

Con

Firstly, I would like to compliment Jif on his song choice I was momentarily distracted by the awesomeness of the song that I didn’t realize for a second I had to post my argument. Next, I’d like to send him a virtual tap across the internet. Jifpop09, in your rules, we are to post a video, followed by a 200 word character synopsis. I have been working feverishly on mine and you just post a 50 word paragraph! I counted by the way, if you think I am lying.

“Was it something I said or something I did /Did my words
not come out right /Though I tried not to hurt you /Though I tried /But I guess
that's why they say” [1]

“Every rose has its thorn /Just like every night has it's
dawn /Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song /Every rose has it's thorn”

“But now I hear you found somebody new /And that I never
meant that much to you /To hear that tears me up inside /And to see you cuts me
like a knife /I guess”

This song is just amazing to me. It has to do with love and everything in this world having a “dark part.”It accurately places an analogy on roses having thorns to beautiful people having their own ‘thorns’ that could potentially hurt someone. It also (in the first set of lyrics [1] I posted) exemplifies the effect that words have on others, and love. It shows how desperately the singer loves the person that when he sees her, he feels such pain, it is compared to the wound given from a knife. I love this song for a few personal reasons, which I won’t share to bore you.

Also, I still call Bohemian Rhapsody. The spectators and voters will penalize me if they think the song is irrelevant.
Jifpop09

Pro

I'm sure all of you say it coming...... Aerosmith. Not even words can describe the awesomeness of this group. The songs called "Dream on", and was produced in 1973. It is considered the first mainstream classic rock song, and is the most epic power ballad of the early 70's, an era of revolution in the music buisness.

;
ESocialBookworm

Con

Penultimately, having to pick one song was a torturous decision. Okay, so honestly speaking, I was torn between choosing “Let it Be” by the Beatles or “Imagine” by Lennon. It literally hurt my heart to choose one. Let’s face it, my weakness is the Beatles.

“Imagine all the people/ Sharing all the world… You may say I’m a dreamer/ But I’m not the only one/ I hope some say you’ll join us/ And the world will live as one.”

These lyrics speak to me in a way my words can barely describe. They make the ‘dreams’ of people evident and have you thinking. The amount of people on this planet is so great and the amount of dreams and aspirations are beautifully depressing when you think of it: how they might be so genuine and loving but may not come true. As an avid "day dreamer," who got in trouble for staring out the window in Elementary School at the sky, imagination is my best friend. Therefore, I love to imagine and be a "dreamer," like Lennon, without the drugs.

I would like to remind Jif before our last round to please follow his own rules and post his 200 words along with his music video.

Once again, I still have dibs on Bohemian Rhapsody!

Jifpop09

Pro

Alrigh, I feel the need to protest the above song. Its not exactly classic rock, and while it does have rock elements, its doesn't really fit the theme. Its more of a ballad.

Anyways, my next song is "American Pie", sung by Don Mclean, and is a classic rock song. It seems to be a mix of multiple elements in story form. You will hear references to the cold war, american pop culture, and other random themes. Don Mclean never actually specified what the song was about, choosing to leave it up to the listeners. Anyways, another song I can be captivated with all night.

Thanks for the battle Esocial :)

ESocialBookworm

Con

Thanks for a wonderful debate. Sorry again, I don’t control the font anymore. I don’t know what happens there. I would like to point out Jif did not follow his own rules again, despite warning him. I was going to change this to something with The Rolling Stones, but Queen was calling my name.

For the last round, I’ll use the song my mum and sister couldn’t get my dad me to stop singing for two whole weeks. They had to put us to sit and play other songs and when that didn’t work, my mum threatened not to cook for us- we almost burned down the house once and then shut up.

Bohemian Rhapsody, to me, is one of the greatest rock songs. It’s completely random and not at the same time. The tones used are varying and a myriad of instruments are integrated to form the classic.

For those of you voters, who need reassurance that this song is suitable for this debate, I’d glady clarify. I did my own research because I really wanted to use this song. It’s right there at number 7 on the first link:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com...

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com...

----

I was told some people couldn't access Poison. Well here's another video. Hopefully this one works:

-----

Enjoy. Have fun reading, listening and voting. Thanks again Jif. This was fun. Now go sleep! With that, I bid you all good night.

Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Go me, WOOHOO!!!! I won by a conduct point XD
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
I'm not surprised but still, congrats Jif!
Posted by BblackkBbirdd 2 years ago
BblackkBbirdd
Jifpop09's songs were better, but I can't vote yet so I'm just saying.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Caribbean, ha. Which part?
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
The Caribbean. Saw your comment too late.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Yeah, its a good song, but its too country for me. You should re-link it in the next round. What country do you live in?
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Yeah, does not work in America.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
I used Poison, Every Rose has its thorn
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
Jifpop09ESocialBookwormTied
Reasons for voting decision: I loved all these songs, and the only poor round was round 2 (had someone posted paint it black they would have gotten my argument vote... Which the meaning is widely debated however it is strongly associated with vietnam). I've reviewed the debate, and jif wins conduct since Con listed songs that weren't classic rock.