dylancatlow
lannan13

DDO should change the "global warming exists" big issue to "Man-made global warming exists"

dylancatlow

dylancatlow

Pro

I will be arguing Pro in this debate.

DDO= debate.org (this website)

Please note that this is referring to the list of 'big issues' found on everyone's profile page.

Rules:
1) No semantics
2) No posting arguments in the first round (this round)
3) No arguing objective reality or nihilism in any way. More specifically, do not argue that no one 'should' do anything, in regards to the title. I realize that this is a legitimate debate, but I want this debate to be free of that as to keep the debate focused.

Accepting this debate means you accept these terms. Breaking any of these rules = loss for my opponent.
lannan13

Con

I accept the terms and now await my opponent opening arguments.
dylancatlow

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

1. Samples taken from Global Warming Exists DDO opinion page http://www.debate.org...

Prompt: "global warming exists" with the option of PRO or CON

Voted Con (that global warming does not exist):

1) RoyLatham - "Global warming exists, but I assume the prompt means "Human-caused global warming crisis exists.""

2) Tes95 - " Not to the degree people believe. I believe the Earth simply has an unpredictable climate, with erratic and weird weather at times."

3) jzonda415 - "Humans don't cause the world to warm up, it's a natural cycle. This is idiotic Liberal conspiracies made to do nothing but create the EPA to target business. It is disgusting really."

4) BigSky - "Global Warming does indeed exist, it is highly over exaggerated by liberals who use it as a scare tactic."

5) Nur-Ab-Sal - "I assume this means anthropogenic global warming."

Voted Pro (that global warming exists):

1) Andromeda Z - "There is a significant amount of evidence to suggest global warming exists. However, it is not entirely anthropogenic (though we do cause some of it)."

2) imabench - "There is evidence it exists and that humans could be playing a part in causing it, but I do think that some people overly emphasized how fast it could occur and how deadly it could be."

The above quotes show a clear disconnect between the comments and the way people voted. RoyLatham said, "global warming exists" and still voted con to express his opinion that man-made global warming does not exist. This is a major problem because people are unable to express their opinion on the 'big issue,' that being if man-made global warming exists. Whether or not humanity contributes to global warming is the major issue, NOT if global warming exists. There really isn't much debate on if the Earth is warming or not, and there SURELY isn't any legitimate debate on whether or not the Earth goes through periods of warming...ever...and for any amount of time. For instance, every single person must admit that the Earth goes through temperature changes, so global warming exists without a doubt, and so does global cooling. Man-made global warming is the big issue because we are in the equation, and humans can change their course of action if we decide we are causing the Earth to warm. However, if the Earth is just going through a period of warming, it doesn't have any real ramifications that are under our control, and thus is not a big issue.

The prompt that capitalizes the debate over global warming into a single sentence really is, "Man-made global warming exists and is significant, and the consequences are serious." However, that prompt is too long, and the next best would be, "Man-made global warming exists".
lannan13

Con

I will first refute my opponents arguements then move on to my own.

1. Samples taken from GW Exists page.

The main reason that we have it as GW Exists is because not even 20 years ago we were concerned with Global Cooling and going back into another Ice Age and as a matter of fact we are beginning to cool with global cooling not heat up.
Entering a cooling period
RedOrbit 2009 (“Is The Earth Entering A Cooling Cycle?”, http://www.redorbit.com...)
On the scientific research front, most news headlines tend to be aimed at showing how global temperatures are on a steady upward climb, but one report published last week appears to reveal that those upward trends may not be entirely accurate. In an October 9 BBC News story, climate correspondent Paul Hudson noted that the warmest year on record was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998. The story goes on to state that no climate increase has been measured over the past 11 years, although emissions of carbon dioxide continue to rise.The BBC story cited experts who claim that although the world has gone through decades of rapid warmth during the 20th Century, the earth operates on natural climate cycles, which man has no control over. Additionally, experts have long debated whether the spikes in warming have been attributed to an increase in the Sun’s energy and that warming causes a rise in carbon dioxide levels, rather than the other way around. For some scientists, there is the lingering possibility that the earth could be entering a period of global cooling, rather than the widely sensationalized warming trend.BBC News cited a study published two years ago by the Royal Society.

So as you can see that the debate on man-made GW would be useless and the debate should be on weather or not GW exists as we currently have it.

2. It's too difficult to change things.

During this past summer Koopin had changed the Big Issues, but it took over 3 months! The reason why is that it requires the votes inorder to pass. It must pass through several stages inorder to become a big Issue. 1. Must be nominated by a DDO member, 2. Must gain enough votes, (this varries depending on how many issues get nominated in the 1st step by DDO) 3. Must be approved by Juggle (Juggle owns the site and they won't allow changes to their site that they don't approve of). Plus there are things that are better to possibly put there like Does God Exists, Do Aliens Exists, etc...
dylancatlow

Pro

First off, my opponent did not refute my arguments, and completely dropped my most conclusive argument (the DDO global warming opinion page samples). He copy and pasted an article from
http://www.redorbit.com...

Con's only commentary on this article was "So as you can see that the debate on man-made GW would be useless and the debate should be on weather or not GW exists as we currently have it."

The entire article was about how man-made global warming doesn't exist, or is greatly exaggerated, but the author agrees global warming exists. I completely fail to see how this doesn't help my side, as the 'big issue' in this article is man-made global warming, NOT global warming in general. This shows Con's complete lack of understanding on this issue

Con then goes on to say "It's too difficult to change things," citing examples of how hard it would be to implement the resolution. This is not a valid argument because it doesn't attempt to analyze the situation. He fails to show that the long and difficult process he described somehow means that the costs outweigh the benefits. The resolution is not trivial, because as it stands, the big issue (global warming exists) is a complete failure of a prompt. It fails to provide clear results because people are too interested in expressing their opinion that man-made global warming exists as seen by the samples in my round one.

People shouldn't have to take multiple levels of thought just to 'guess' what someone's opinion on an issue is. I mean, I could vote Con to the prompt global warming exists, assuming everyone else assumes that I assume it means 'man-made global warming exists'. However, another person might assume that I'm ignorant because I don't think global warming exists, when really I do.

In conclusion, Debate.org should change the "global warming exists" big issue to "Man-made global warming exists" to present a prompt that represents the opinion that the members of debate.org actually want to share, as seen by the comments on http://www.debate.org......

lannan13

Con

Violatations
My opponent claims that I plagerised, but this is false, because that is a debate card and it is cut like a debate card, so you can through that arguement out the window. I'll now show how I didn't drop any arguements and how/ why I won today's debate.

1. GW Exists page
My opponent states that I didn't attack any arguements here, but what I stated is why we have it the way it is in the first place, because of Global Cooling! Then it begins in 2000 with Al Gore campaigning, leading to does it exist. My oponent just says I dropped arguements, but I refuted the whole contention.

2. Change
My opponent states that I didn't bring up how it was so long (note- I couldn't find the link for this), but if you read round two you see how it works and those of you who were here this summer know what I'm talking about.

3. Religon and better things
My opponent dropps this contention so you can extend across my arguements here. (this was if GW gets replaced then other things should take it's place, arguement).

In conclusion, you can see that my opponent didn't really touch up on my arguements and also falsly accused me of plagerism. With all the points covered Pro doesn't have a leg left to stand on, Vote Con.
Posted by babyy 4 years ago
babyy
Hello dear, my name is Ester, i came across your profile now.So I decided to stop by an let you know that I really want to have a good friendship with you. Beside i have something special i want to discuses with you, but I find it difficult to express myself here, since it's a public site. I will be very happy, If you can get back to me, through my e-mail iD(esteredmond(at )ymail.c o m)
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Okay, then I'd conclude, using those parameters, that man-made global warming is a bigger issue than global warming.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Any topic that has a substantially large amount of controversy to it that is fiercely debated would count as a big issue in my book.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
imabench, for you, what would you set as the criterion for an issue being called a 'big issue'
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
"I think more people want to express their opinion on man-made global warming rather than global warming in general"

1) Back that up with evidence
2) That isnt necessarily enough to justify replacing 'global warming exists' with 'man-made global warming exists', it only implies that theres good reason to add 'mad-made global warming exists' as its own big issue in addition to 'global warming exists'
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Would you concede 'whether or not man-made global warming exists' is more of a divided issue and has more implications than 'whether or not global warming exists'.

Of course I would, and if that were the resolution youd be winning right now. I simply believe that 'man made global warming exists' should be added as a big issue, not that it should replace 'global warming exists' as a big issues because that is an issue that is still highly debated over and is very controversial.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
I think more people want to express their opinion on man-made global warming rather than global warming in general. This is because this opinion directly affects policies, because if you are Pro on the matter, of course you will want to curtail the warming, and if con, want to stop these policies. If the Earth is just gettin' warmer without us, so what?
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
"There is not a legitimate debate on whether or not the Earth goes through periods of warming and cooling"

Theres not a legitimate debate against that but people still debate against it and flat out deny it (usually they are Bible waving fanatics). There are people who believe that if the Earth was 10 feet closer to the Sun then all life on Earth couldnt exist, and that God is the reason why the Earth isnt ten feet closer. And there are a good number of bible wavng fanatics here on DDO who would agree to such a claim.

Global Warming and violence are proven to exist, but there is far more controversy and debate (however irrational it may be) against accepting global warming as factual then there is as accepting violence as factual. The fact that there is so much debate over the existence of global warming makes it enough of a big issue to make it an actual big issue. Whether or not man-made global warming is a whole new debate, which means if anything that DDO would be justified in adding a "man-made global warming exists" big issue in ADDITION to "global warming exists". This does not mean though that it should outright replace "global warming exists" because even though science has answered that question, many people still do not accept it as fact, making it an issue of its own.
Posted by dylancatlow 4 years ago
dylancatlow
Also, the prompt "global warming exists" does not refer to which time period we are talking about. Of course global warming exists, because we had the ice age and are no longer in the ice age.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
dylancatlowlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro presented evidence that DDO members often interpret the issue as being about anthropogenic global warming, rather than about global warming in general. That's a good reason for clarification. con didn't refute Pro's argument, but rather argued that there is an issue about global warming in general. There being a general issue doesn't make the Big Issue more clear, it makes it less clear. "arguement" > "argument" and "weather" > "whether" are significant spelling errors in a debate. The difficulty of making a change is irrelevant to whether a change *should* be made. Many things should be done that are difficult, impractical, or unlikely.
Vote Placed by Citrakayah 4 years ago
Citrakayah
dylancatlowlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that a significant number of people manage to believe the same thing but answer differently to the question. In my opinion, this fulfills BOP. Ergo Pro wins.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
dylancatlowlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: After reviewing the whole debate, pro only succeeded in proving that there is a difference between man-made global warming, and global warming in general. However he failed to argue why this necessitates a change to the big issue, while con showed how difficult it is to make a change to it. Arguments to con, conduct to con for advertising the debate so much, and grammar as well for abuse from the pro
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
dylancatlowlannan13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed that the page, as is, does not meet user needs. Con did not provide supporting evidence that the cost of changes was significant. With respect to other topics, he did not show that those topics were more important, nor that only one or two changes could be made at once.