DDOlympics -- R1: Talent

Aloha, and welcome to these 2014 DDO Olympic Games!

This is the talent event, pitting myself against Josh to see who advances to the Gold/Silver round, and who advances to the Bronze. I will be writing poetry as my talent. This first round is just for acceptance, and for Josh to specify what talent he will be putting on display in this round.

Thanks to Josh in advance, and I look forward to a fun Olympic bout!

I accept the challenge. I will be posting videos of my nunchuck skills though Youtube.

Thanks once more to Josh! I believe this is the first "relaxed" debate I have Star Wars debates are always super intense, and so this should be a fun outlet. I appreciate the opportunity to do this debate.

I will begin all of my rounds with a brief description of my poem, so that my thought process is somewhat clear. I will do three types of poems for you, to try and show some artistic versatility as well.

I will firstly present a poem composed of unrhymed couplets. It follows, roughly, a 10-8 syllabic pattern, and is a bit whimsical. I don't want to spoil it by explaining it, but it should be fairly clear. It's titled: "A New One for the Closet". I hope you like it!

Would you like to know--know what I keep in
my closet? He's used in spells.

I have a skeleton in my closet.
no wait—it’s perfectly true.

Bones are great for speeding up potions you—
Oh no, don’t go! Stay and chat.

Anyway, what was I saying. Hold on…?
Oh yes, I remember now.

I found him in the bog outside my home,
propped up against a big birch tree.

I had been out collecting newts and ‘shrooms
(For my line of work you know…)

Seemed as if he had been struck by lightning;
I love a good, solid bolt!

I thought he’d enjoy my downstairs closet,
between my cauldrons and books.

I see him when I go to fetch my broom.
Each time the closet opens,

My black cat stands on end hissing as if
Skeley’d move sans my okay.

Though, sometimes I pull out my eye of newt:
cauldr’n bubble, and all that jazz…

He used to be such a nice man. Until:
he angered a certain Witch.

Well, if you would kindly excuse me, sir,
I have a full moon to catch.

Unless you’d prefer to stay for supper…
Now that I’m thinking of it…

After all, it is my house specialty.
And, I could use some new bones.

It’ll freshen up my spells, dear. Now sit,
I’ll warm the oven for you.

Thanks again to Josh. That was an awesome performance!

This is a true free verse poem, meaning that is has no proscribed structure (such as couplets), no syllabic scheme, and no rhyme scheme. I got my inspiration from an Orson Wells quote, "There are only two emotions on a plane: boredom and terror," and I tried to weave that into the poem to bring it full circle. This one has a bit more gravitas too it that the last one--definitely a tonal shift--and I hope you enjoy it. The piece is entitle: "On a Plane."

"There are only two emotions on a Plane"
he said.
And in my mind there I am--scything
the dreamy clouds.

My life is no
Not a long, weary journey.
I mean, in 18 years how hard can any life be?
At least for me:
only an hour into a 6 hour flight.

The children of war,
The urchins of poverty,
now they've had an Odyssey:
already too near their destination.

It seems almost pretentious for me
to label
my brief, secluded experience
an Odyssey.
(So, I try not to.)

Yet, I have had my moments:
The thrill of success, the bumps and jolts in the sky.

When the plane reaches its destination,
I guess I'll look back
(years from now)
and smile,
having had more turbulence under my wing;
more fear, angst, passion, excitement in my contrails.

So far, the flight's
had all the elements of an Odyssey,
but it"'s not there yet.

I hope my flight will be one,
(an Odyssey that is)
because to truly appreciate the flight,
one must have experienced it.

": boredom and terror."
he said.
The end and the beginning.
And in my heart,
my Odyssey began--
My fanciful thoughts ended.
I walked on board the Plane.

Hey, your poems are really good.

I bet it feels nice to do some free writing every now and then.

Thanks, BSH1 for that last poem. I really liked it.

So, for this round. I pull out a second set of nunchaku and try to make a go of it.

Wow...that's so cool, Josh! This has been a great debate, or rather, an amazing display of talent.

In this round I have a rhyming poem organized into couplets. The rhyme scheme is AB CB DE FE etc. The first line of every couplet has 9 syllables and the second line has 6, as a reflection of the 9-to-6 workday put in by the speaker.

Only the middle stanza (freedom...wilds/the...yonder) breaks from this syllabic pattern because it represents a break in the rigidity of the speaker's life. It is a moment that is not occupied by monotony.

The poem is entitled "Nine to Six" and I hope you enjoy it!

I look out from behind my prison:
my regimented life.

I am trapped by all my schedules;
my clocks define my life.

At nine o"clock I travel to work.
At 6 I arrive home.

At 11 I finally sleep,
and in my dreams I roam.

Freedom to explore the wilds:
the heavenly blue and purple yonder.

But at 8am sharp I wake up,
and to breakfast wander.

So, I look out from behind my mask,
my iron bars of pain.

My is life defined by schedules
trapped by my clocks, again.

I have offered a variety of poems to tried to demonstrate versatility within my talent (syllabically structured couplets, true free verse, rhyming syllabically structure couplets). I have tried to produce quality products all throughout, and I hope you enjoyed them! Thank you for reading this. Thanks to Josh for a great debate. I ask you to please VOTE PRO!

So, this is my last video for this compitition.
It was fun making these and it was better getting to know a side of my opponent that I haven't seen before.
Truth be told BSH, I'd like to see your writing style against Larz regardless of what happens here.

For the next debate, I'm going to turn off the lights, turn up the music, pull out my glowchucks and see it takes me.

Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
I agree w/ Josh - MP had a good method.
Posted by Josh_b 2 years ago
Morality judged our debate individually on a scale of 1-10. I think that's fair.
Posted by TUF 2 years ago
Voting on talent debates is really hard. I can't see how I can vote non-biasedly lol. My artistic flair is loving the poems, but Josh seems pretty skilled with the chucks. How am I supposed to judge this without being biased lol?
Posted by Josh_b 2 years ago
Thanks, I really just wanted to link their debate to ours.
Posted by bsh1 2 years ago
@Josh - I know.
Posted by Josh_b 2 years ago
Larz and GCL's debate is complete too.
Posted by MoralityProfessor 2 years ago
Both participants displayed clear skill in their respective talents and I enjoyed judging this debate. After adding up the scores, it looks like Pro has a slight edge. However, I don't feel Con is undeserving of points, and so I gave him source points while giving Pro argument points. (As this isn't a typical debate, I don't think S&G or sources were particularly relevant. I assigned my own definitions to the scoring.) Feel free to contact me about any questions or comments.

Good job to both contestants!
Posted by MoralityProfessor 2 years ago
Round 2: Pro
I really enjoyed this free-verse poem. The metaphors and allusions to reality were apt and relevant. There was no problem in regards to the rhythmic flow this time around. Though free-verse poetry requires less attention to detail than any other form of structured poetry, I am ultimately pleased with this poem. Verdict: 8.5/10
Round 2: Con
This performance exceeded my expectations. Firstly, the addition of music added so much to the presentation. Secondly, though not such a major addition, the shirt with the picture was one defining detail that didn't go unnoticed. It served as an introduction in the beginning and a conclusion at the end. The extra nunchuck also professed the skill Con has. I was particularly impressed at the rapidity of movement, specifically between 0:43-0:49. This was a big step up and provided all that was lacking in the first video, and more. It was entertaining to watch. Verdict: 10/10

Round 2 Winner: Con

Round 3: Pro
This was a very well done poem. The message was thoughtful and thought-provoking. I particularly liked the metaphorical significance Pro gave to the syllabic pattern. The rhyming couplets were nice (I love a well-rhymed poem), though rhyming 'life' with 'life' can be cringe-worthy. Ultimately a great poem. Well done. Verdict: 9/10
Round 3: Con
This round proved how much the music added to the performance. Even without the extra nunchuck and without the shirt logo, I found it entertaining. There was new material here - 0:28-0:30 was pretty cool. It looked like there was a slight fumble from 0:45-0:47, but I wasn't certain about that. Well done, though. Verdict: 8/10

Round 3 Winner: Pro

...still to be continued due to character limitations...
Posted by MoralityProfessor 2 years ago
Judging between a poetry piece and a nunchuck performance has its challenges, one being there isn't a specified logical outline to assess talent. I've decided to judge each debater independent of his opponent on a scale of 1-10, round by round, looking to see progression of talent, versatility and overall skill.
Just a quick note: I tried to be as objective as possible in judging and hope none of my comments are offensive in any way. Any criticism is meant to be constructive only.

Round 1: Pro
This was a cute poem and humorous in substance. There was a problem, however, with a lack of rhythmic flow, thus making it awkward to read. I found myself unable to concentrate to an extent on the content while trying to make sense of the syllabic structure. Though, the ending was amusing, and the general content entertaining. Verdict: 6.5/10
Round 1: Con
Watching the video, I was slightly disappointed. Though Con definitely has skill, the performance was short and only being able to see him from the neck down was distracting. Con's execution was decent, but overall, I was underwhelmed. Verdict: 5.5/10

Round 1 Winner: Pro be continued due to character limitations...
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
Josh that is really cool what you do!! I need me one of those LOL JK!
Great poetry bsh1! Very explicitly written.
Vote Placed by SeventhProfessor 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both were great, but I was just a bit more impressed by Josh's. Being in marching band and witnessing several color guard rehearsals, I can understand how difficult it is to master something such as nunchucking. I may be a bit biased, as poetry's always come easily to me. Again, great job to both debaters.
Vote Placed by MoralityProfessor 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.