barbaranichetti
robertqiu

DO parents have the right to choose the child treatments?

barbaranichetti

Pro

Should parents be able to choose whether their child (under 18) receives or does not receive treatment for an illness/disease, due to religious preferences/beliefs, even if the treatment is know to work and the child will die?
robertqiu

Con

I believe that parents do NOT have the right to choose the child's treatments on several contentions: 1. The child knows more about himself than his parents do. 2. Parents have different views than the child's in a rapidly developing nation. 3. Minimal harm. And before I start, I want to point out that we should not consider kids who are extremely young, as it will be ridiculous to let them choose for themselves. And also, the child is not TREATING himself (which is the doctor's job), but are saying if they want to or not.

1. The child knows himself more than his parents do.
Of course, you know yourself more than anybody does. True, parents are your parents, and therefore know a great deal about you, but they are uncomparable to the knowledge you have of yourself. After all, it is you who is getting treated, not the parents. Parents can be extremely bossy, and they love you, of course, but can be a bit overprotective. Take asian parents, for example. Of course, they want you to do the very best, but they enforce it too hard. With disregard to their child's opinions, they force them to work, which usually doesn't end up well. And besides, if the child does not be careful, then he will die, and he definitely will not want to die. So they will definitely be as careful, or even more careful, than the parents to ensure that they are healthy. Therefore, the child must have significant say in his treatment.

2. Parents have different views than the child's in a rapidly developing nation.
What I mean by this is that the parents lived in an entirely different time period. Nowadays technology is rapidly progressing and more vaccines are being developed. Compare this to the 1970s, where it was hard to get a vaccine and costly as well. Because of the different time periods, the parent and child have completely different perspectives. We are talking about kids with ipads, multiple phones, and laptops. The parents never had this when they were at their child's age, and so there is a gap between their thinking. For example, the parents might be islamic, and therefore will not allow the kid to take the vaccine. He only trusts in God and believes that the vaccines are unpure. When the child doesn't take it, he dies. This is extremely prominent in india and africa.

3. Minimal harm.
Again, it would be ridiculous to have elementary students and below to pick for themselves, so we can disregard them in this debate. Also, as it is obvious, it is the doctor who is treating the child, not the child. The child only chooses if they want to treat or not. So, the reason behind this argument is that there is barely no harm. There is not much damage, as this is only a yes or no decision. And the doctor's advice can persuade the child, steering him away from danger if he seems to be going in that path. If the result of not having the vaccine equals him dying, then definitely he will want to have the treatment. He loves himself the same or more as his parents do.

These are my contentions. Since my opponent has not provided reasons why he believes so, I do not have to refute. Please try to give me several reasons why you agree with the topic, or otherwise I should assume you agree with me.
barbaranichetti

Pro

barbaranichetti forfeited this round.
robertqiu

Con

You forfeited? Oh, ok, then.
barbaranichetti

Pro

barbaranichetti forfeited this round.
robertqiu

Con

Forfeiters, forfeiters...